Columbia Admission

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Columbia Admission

by Average Guy234 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:00 am
Hello Team,

I am currently in process of researching fro colleges.I wanted your advice on Columbia Business School.

Before we begin few information about my background;I am interested in International management .So my first choice is Columbia.But it seems for Indian guys with Technology background Columbia is interested in only IITians working in finance with high (read approx 97%) rejection for others from technology background despite good credentials.I personally know 4 IITians working in finance to be selected.

Can you please inform me if Columbia has been this selective and what are my chances given the fact that I am non-IITian with Technology engg background and 3 years international exp in paris,volunteering work for last 6 years?

Regards
Avg Guy

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:43 pm
Hey there avg guy,

Thanks for your post! While you're right that it's very difficult for an Indian engineering applicant not from an IIT / tier I institution to get into most top 10 programs, 97% is a bit...dramatic. And you have some interesting work experience - 3 years in Paris sounds lovely! Depends on what you did there, of course, but pretty cool compared to someone who never left India's shores!

That said, Columbia, and any top 10, will be difficult. When it comes to picking a few students from a really big pool of qualified applicants, things like where you went to school matter, unfortunately. But no school, Columbia included, can have a bunch of Indian Finance guys running around either - they need some diversity!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!