Christopher Columbus

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

a

by namans » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:19 am
@ Bill,

thanks for the response.
I have a couple of more questions

1. How do you make out (1) which subject forms are compound and which are not? (2) which forms of compound subjects use plural form and which use singular form?

2. Can you comment on the that rule? My understanding is as follows
--> when 'that follows a noun without any comma'... the 'that' refers to the immediate preceding noun
--> if there is a comma before 'that'... then the 'that' could refer to the action in the preceding clause or some subject in the preceding clause
Last edited by namans on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

by namans » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:22 am
@ Bill,

thanks for the response.

1. How do you make out (1) which subject forms are compound and which are not? (2) which forms of compound subjects use plural form and which use singular form?

--> when 'that follows a noun without any comma'... the 'that' refers to the immediate preceding noun
--> if there is a comma before 'that'... then the 'that' could refer to the action in the preceding clause or some subject in the preceding clause

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:13 pm
namans wrote:@ Bill,

thanks for the response.

"And" is a big giveaway. When you see it used to link two nouns, then it counts as a plural subject. The exception that you brought up ("the chairman and CEO" being the same person) is not something I recall seeing on an official question.
This makes sense, and I agree with it. It's used as a relative pronoun, so it should refer to the preceding noun.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Do you have an example?
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:52 pm
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:The exception that you brought up ("the chairman and CEO" being the same person) is not something I recall seeing on an official question.
The official problems have tested "x and y" as a singular noun before, but never without proof.

E.g., OG13 #85, in which "owning and living..." is a singular noun.
* It's actually essential to recognize that "owning and living" is singular. If you assume by default that it's plural because of the "and", you'll eliminate the correct answer (in which "it" stands for this noun).
* The problem contains proof that "owning and living" is singular, in the form of the verb "is" (in the non-underlined part).

In general:
* "x and y" can be singular-but only if you have positive proof that it is so.
* If there's no proof otherwise, it's safe to assume that "x and y" is plural.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by feedrom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 am
lunarpower wrote: In general:
Thanks Ron! It's great to know this.

GMAT Instructor

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:14 pm
lunarpower wrote:
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:The exception that you brought up ("the chairman and CEO" being the same person) is not something I recall seeing on an official question.
The official problems have tested "x and y" as a singular noun before, but never without proof.

E.g., OG13 #85, in which "owning and living..." is a singular noun.
* It's actually essential to recognize that "owning and living" is singular. If you assume by default that it's plural because of the "and", you'll eliminate the correct answer (in which "it" stands for this noun).
* The problem contains proof that "owning and living" is singular, in the form of the verb "is" (in the non-underlined part).

In general:
Good catch. That's one I hadn't seen in a while.

by namans » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:31 am
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Do you have an example?

I am not sure if this is the best eg... say a parallel structure:
A knows that B is faster than C, that C is faster than D, and that D is faster than E

Here the that does not necessarily refer to the immediate preceding noun, but refers to A.

Is the understanding correct?

GMAT Instructor

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:12 pm
In that case, you have parallel form (A knows that..., that..., and that...) so the relationship is clear.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:32 pm
namans wrote:I am not sure if this is the best eg... say a parallel structure:
A knows that B is faster than C, that C is faster than D, and that D is faster than E

Here the that does not necessarily refer to the immediate preceding noun, but refers to A.

Is the understanding correct?
In that structure, the clauses starting with "that" are not modifiers at all. They play the role of nouns. There's probably some fancy grammar term for that; I don't know.
In any case, nouns don't refer to anything, so neither do these modifiers.

Here are some examples-first with a noun, and second with "that xxx" playing the role of the noun.

Your punctuality was a surprise to everyone.
That you were on time was a surprise to everyone.

She told me the rumor.
She told me that Rachel might be moving to Italy.

Your structure is the same. It's equivalent to, say, "A knows biology, chemistry, and physics."

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:36 pm
By the way-
The stuff I explained in the immediately preceding post ("that xxxx" as a noun) is one of the most common "fake idioms" that I've seen.
By "fake idiom" I mean that the entire internet thinks it's an idiom, but it's actually not.

For instance, upon seeing "She told me that xxxx", many forum users incorrectly conclude that "tell ... that" is an idiomatic structure. It's not-it's just "tell" followed by an object.

Be careful.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by infromaniac » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:18 pm
maihuna wrote:For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to Personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

A. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere
B. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere have been
decimated
C. devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere that have been decimated
D. devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the Western hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.
E. the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.
[spoiler]Answer:A/E[/spoiler]
Apologies for bumping up this thread. I understand that E is the best fit among the options, but what would be the appropriate reason to eliminate B? As per my understanding, B is a legitimate sentence, albeit in passive form, and given that E presents the answer in active form, it is the correct answer (I may most certainly be wrong.) Does that make sense?

Request the experts to shed light on this.
Thanks a lot!

by sahil7389 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:14 am
infromaniac wrote:
maihuna wrote:For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to Personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

A. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere
B. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere have been
decimated
C. devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere that have been decimated
D. devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the Western hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.
E. the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.
[spoiler]Answer:A/E[/spoiler]
Apologies for bumping up this thread. I understand that E is the best fit among the options, but what would be the appropriate reason to eliminate B? As per my understanding, B is a legitimate sentence, albeit in passive form, and given that E presents the answer in active form, it is the correct answer (I may most certainly be wrong.) Does that make sense?

Request the experts to shed light on this.
Thanks a lot!
I am no expert but will try to explain you.
B says in the name of progress by which---as we know which refers to nearest noun or I say preceding noun most of the times, so here the sentence give meaning that progress decimated people, and this is wrong meaning because progress can't decimate.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:17 am
between B and E ,i chose E. I do not think the is unnecessary in E. What is OA?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:26 am
src_saurav wrote:between B and E ,i chose E. I do not think the is unnecessary in E. What is OA?
I posted an explanation, along with the OA, here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/sc-that-vers ... 81349.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by AsadAbu » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:37 am
lunarpower wrote:
Kajiabeat wrote:same confusion!

the first major difference between A and E are two "the" ---before"devastation and enslavement" and before"native peoples", any difference in meaning?

the second difference is the "have/has" used for the "that" clause, which decide what part this clause is modifying. To be honest, I see both way are OK. How can we make judgement here?

Thank you for any instructors to step in(is "step in" here right?).
hi --

the "a/an/the" difference has never been explicitly tested on the gmat -- and is almost impossibly difficult for non-native speakers to understand fully -- so you shouldn't worry about that difference.

choice (a) is incorrect because of the singular verb "has", whose only legitimate antecedent is "progress". that doesn't make sense; progress is not what decimated native peoples. the native peoples were decimated by devastation and enslavement, so you need a plural verb.
Hi Ron, Hope you are well. Ron, I need to have your attention!
Ron, I think, GMAC has used the article "the" in option E correctly. If we remove "the'' from option E, it will not work perfectly because of my following analogy....
Example: I know THE man who came here yesterday.
In this example, I'm talking about a specific guy who came here JUST yesterday. There are many people who come in my house regularly. But, yesterday JUST one guy comes. So, I think, we should use the definite article THE in this regard. If I say, I know man who came here yesterday. It'll not work perfectly.

In option A and E,
the word THAT indicate something, which has been occurred definitely and/or specifically by THE devastation and enslavement. Ron, is my understanding correct? I wish to have your response.Thanks....
Last edited by AsadAbu on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.