Chocolates.

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:22 am
Max@Math Revolution wrote:In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.

Remember equal number of variables and equations ensures a solution.

In original condition, 3c+5b+5i=195 then question is 7c+11b+9i=?
In this case, we have 3 variables (c,b,i) and 1 equation (3c+5b+5i=195)
We need 2 more equations. In this case, (1) is 1 equation, (2) is 1 equation so we have 2 equations. So C is the answer.

Why C? If you know our own innovative logics to find the answer, you don't need to solve the problem.

www.mathrevolution.com
Our world's first Variable Approach (DS) and IVY Approach (PS) help students dramatically reduce their time spent per question and improve accuracy. You will have 10 min. to spare before the test ends.
The correct answer is not C but A.
The question stem does not require that we be able to solve for the 3 unknowns discussed in the problem.
Rather, the question stem asks only for the value of an EXPRESSION: 7c + 11b + 9i.
Given the information in Statement 1, we can determine the value of this expression.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:37 members

by Max@Math Revolution » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:10 am
If you look at the original condition, we get 3c+5b+5i=195, and the question becomes "7c+11b+9i=?"

In this case, we have 3 variables (c, b, i) and we have one equation 3c+5b+5i=195

In general, we have a solution whenever the number of variables match the number of equations, so we need 2 more equations right now to solve this problem.

In this DS question, condition 1 gives us one equation, and condition 2 gives us another equation.
Taking the two conditions together will give us the two more equations we need, so the answer is C.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:53 am
Max@Math Revolution wrote:If you look at the original condition, we get 3c+5b+5i=195, and the question becomes "7c+11b+9i=?"

In this case, we have 3 variables (c, b, i) and we have one equation 3c+5b+5i=195

In general, we have a solution whenever the number of variables match the number of equations, so we need 2 more equations right now to solve this problem.
This line of reasoning does not apply to the posted problem.
The question stem does NOT ask us to solve for the 3 variables.
It asks only for the value of 7c + 11b + 9i.

From my post above:

Given equation: 3c + 5b + 5i = 195.
Question: What is the value of 7c + 11b + 9i?

Statement 1: 5c + 7b + 3i = 217

Try to combine this equation with the given equation so that the coefficient in front of c is a multiple of 7.

Multiplied by 3, the given equation 3c + 5b + 5i = 195 becomes 9c + 15b + 15i = 585.
Stacking this equation with the equation in statement 1, we get:

9c + 15b + 15i = 585
5c + 7b + 3i = 217

Adding the two equations, we get:
14c + 22b + 18i = 802.

Dividing the equation above by 2, we get:
7c + 11b + 9i = 401.
SUFFICIENT
As you can see, Statement 1 provides sufficient information to determine that 7b + 11b + 9i = 401.
The correct answer is not C but A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:37 members

by Max@Math Revolution » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:34 am
In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.

We need 2 more equations. In this case, (1) is 1 equation, (2) is 1 equation so we have 2 equations. So C is the answer.

If you know our own innovative logics to find the answer, you don't need to actually solve the problem.

www.mathrevolution.com

- The one-and-only World's First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS that allow anyone to easily solve GMAT math questions.

- The easy-to-use solutions. Math skills are totally irrelevant. Forget conventional ways of solving math questions.

- The most effective time management for GMAT math to date allowing you to solve 37 questions with 10 minutes to spare

- Hitting a score of 45 is very easy and points and 49-51 is also doable.

- Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons at https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/lesson

- Our advertising video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Fki3_2vO8

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:44 pm
Max@Math Revolution wrote:In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.

If you know our own innovative logics to find the answer, you don't need to actually solve the problem.

www.mathrevolution.com

- The one-and-only World's First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS that allow anyone to easily solve GMAT math questions.

- The easy-to-use solutions. Math skills are totally irrelevant. Forget conventional ways of solving math questions.

- The most effective time management for GMAT math to date allowing you to solve 37 questions with 10 minutes to spare

- Hitting a score of 45 is very easy and points and 49-51 is also doable.

- Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons at https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/lesson

- Our advertising video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Fki3_2vO8
This question is already solved with only Statement 1.

so Answer is A

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:36 pm
Max@Math Revolution wrote:

You aren't being asked to solve for all three variables independently, though.

Given the two equations (3x + 5y + 5z) = 195 and (5x + 7y + 3z) = 217, we can subtract the first from the second, then divide the result by 2, which gives (x + y - z) = 11.

We then simply compute (3x + 5y + 5z) + (5x + 7y + 3z) - (x + y - z), which simplifies to 7x + 11y + 9z, which is what we wanted.

So the answer is clearly not C.