Children will

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Children will

by ankit1383 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:34 pm
Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrow’s world. Computers should be introduced in kindergarten, and computer languages should be required in high school.
Parent O: That would be pointless. Technology advances so rapidly that the computers used by today’s high schools would become obsolete by the time these children are adults.
Which one of the following, if true, is the strongest logical counter parent P can make to parent Q’s objection?
(A) When technology is advancing rapidly, regular training is necessary to keep one’s skills at a level proficient enough to deal with the society in which one lives.
(B) Throughout history people have adapted to change, and there is no reason to believe that today’s children are not equally capable of adapting to technology as it advances.
(C) In the process of learning to language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology.
(D) Automotive technology is continually advancing too, but that does not result in one’s having to relearn to drive cars as the new advances are incorporated into new automobiles.
(E) Once people have graduated from high school, they have less time to learn about computers and technology than they had during their schooling years.

Please explain your answer.I was not even not close to the right naswer.OA after sme discussion

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:57 pm
IMO C

(A) When technology is advancing rapidly, regular training is necessary to keep one’s skills at a level proficient enough to deal with the society in which one lives. <- This doesn't counter that the computer literacy is imp

(B) Throughout history people have adapted to change, and there is no reason to believe that today’s children are not equally capable of adapting to technology as it advances.<- there is no reference of capability in question stem..

(C) In the process of learning to language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology. <- Correct as it shows that leaning will help students to prepare for future

(D) Automotive technology is continually advancing too, but that does not result in one’s having to relearn to drive cars as the new advances are incorporated into new automobiles. <- Computer's can't be compared with Cars

(E) Once people have graduated from high school, they have less time to learn about computers and technology than they had during their schooling years. < - Incorrect

Please correct me if im wrong..??

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by vittalgmat » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:43 am
I agree with nervesofsteel.
I felt A and C are kind of close but on closer inspection C is the best.
A only says that it keeps the students current with the technology of hte day. So doesnt really counter 0's argument.

C says that learning the technology even though it will become obsolete, still has benefits. it makes the kids INCREASE their ability. So with each obsolete technology that kids learn they are increasing their ability to interact with computers.

HT helps

Legendary Member

by ronniecoleman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:43 am
Yup!

IMO C

Reasoning same as above!
Admission champion, Hauz khaz
011-27565856

by Spring2009 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:45 pm
Hard to choose between C and D. But I'll pick D.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

I pick B

by nox104 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:58 am
D seems to be comparing 2 different fields.. and two different things. Learning tech as it advances is not the same as relearning to drive.. it could also be learning how to build newer cars..

My objection with C is learning to interact with computers can be pointless if the way you interact keeps changing with tech. Hence, I pick B.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660(

by 4meonly » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 am
nervesofsteel wrote:IMO C

(A) When technology is advancing rapidly, regular training is necessary to keep one’s skills at a level proficient enough to deal with the society in which one lives. <- This doesn't counter that the computer literacy is imp

(B) Throughout history people have adapted to change, and there is no reason to believe that today’s children are not equally capable of adapting to technology as it advances.<- there is no reference of capability in question stem..

(C) In the process of learning to language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology. <- Correct as it shows that leaning will help students to prepare for future

(D) Automotive technology is continually advancing too, but that does not result in one’s having to relearn to drive cars as the new advances are incorporated into new automobiles. <- Computer's can't be compared with Cars

(E) Once people have graduated from high school, they have less time to learn about computers and technology than they had during their schooling years. < - Incorrect

Please correct me if im wrong..??
Strong resoning, but why Computer's can't be compared with Cars?
They are both

(C) In the process of learning to language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology.
Lerning what language? Spanish, German?

Re: Children will

by vish150783 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:41 am
ankit1383 wrote:Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrow’s world. Computers should be introduced in kindergarten, and computer languages should be required in high school.
Parent O: That would be pointless. Technology advances so rapidly that the computers used by today’s high schools would become obsolete by the time these children are adults.
Which one of the following, if true, is the strongest logical counter parent P can make to parent Q’s objection?
(A) When technology is advancing rapidly, regular training is necessary to keep one’s skills at a level proficient enough to deal with the society in which one lives.
(B) Throughout history people have adapted to change, and there is no reason to believe that today’s children are not equally capable of adapting to technology as it advances.
(D) Automotive technology is continually advancing too, but that does not result in one’s having to relearn to drive cars as the new advances are incorporated into new automobiles.
(E) Once people have graduated from high school, they have less time to learn about computers and technology than they had during their schooling years.

Please explain your answer.I was not even not close to the right naswer.OA after sme discussion
First of all there is a scope shift in this argument. He compares the need for computer skills with obsoletion of computers. These too are two different things.

A) society has nothing to do with IRRELEVANT.
B) Capability of students to adapt to technology. NOT EFFECTIVE
C) Here what he says, is consistent with his initial statement that computer technology is important for today's world. CORRECT.
D) OUT OF SCOPE.
E) Time is not factor of the argument. IRRELEVANT

I think if you had noticed the scope shift then it would be easy to solve this problem as the rebuttal of Q is totally irrelavant in the first place. All you have to do is find an argument CONSISTENT with P's initial statment.

Hope this helps!

by vish150783 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:44 am
4meonly wrote:
nervesofsteel wrote: (C) In the process of learning to language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology.
Lerning what language? Spanish, German?
I think its a TYPO I think its computer language. If I am not wrong this is a OG question.

by nox104 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:57 pm
what is the source / OA ?

hi

by ankit1383 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:27 pm
nox104 wrote:what is the source / OA ?
Source: 1000 CR document...

OA..........C

Still not convinced..why option D is not correct..........

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nitintahiliani » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:14 pm
Ankit , I would not choose D because "Driving a car" is not same as "learning a computer language". When you use D as a rebuttal of second statement , then your assumption somewhere becomes
Computer Technology = Automotive technology , which may not be right.

What do you say ? Is it reasonable ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

Re: hi

by logitech » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:18 pm
ankit1383 wrote:
nox104 wrote:what is the source / OA ?
Source: 1000 CR document...

OA..........C

Still not convinced..why option D is not correct..........
I am having hard time believe that you guys are still WASTING your precious time with these 1000 things...

A wrong OA can lead you a wrong impression that can hurt you..I MEAN REALLY HURT you on the test day!

Please be careful!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:580

by naveen.bobbili » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:30 am
Does anyone have this 1000CR QA as a softcopy. If yes,please mail it to me at [email protected]
GMAT:580

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

D would be answer

by pjasani12 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:43 pm
Because here P can give an example which would counter attack the
point of Q.