Child-care services

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Child-care services

by neeti2711 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:50 am
Governments have only one response to public criticism of socially necessary services: regulation of the activity of providing those services. But governments inevitably make the activity more expensive by regulating it, and that is particularly troublesome in these times of strained financial resources. However, since public criticism of child-care services has undermined all confidence in such services, and since such services are socially necessary, the government is certain to respond.
Which one of the following statements can be inferred from the passage?

(A) The quality of child care will improve
(B) The cost of providing child-care services will increase.
(C) The government will use funding to foster advances in child care.
(D) If public criticism of policy is strongly voiced, the government is certain to respond.
(E) If child-care services are not regulated, the cost of providing child care will not increase.

OA - B

Source - Aristotle Prep
Last edited by neeti2711 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:47 am
neeti2711 wrote:Governments have only one response to public criticism of socially necessary services: regulation of the activity of providing those services. But governments inevitably make the activity more expensive by regulating it, and that is particularly troublesome in these times of strained financial resources. However, since public criticism of child-care services has undermined all confidence in such services, and since such services are socially necessary, the government is certain to respond.
Which one of the following statements can be inferred from the passage?

(A) The quality of child care will improve
(B) The cost of providing child-care services will increase.
(C) The government will use funding to foster advances in child care.
(D) If public criticism of policy is strongly voiced, the government is certain to respond.
(E) If child-care services are not regulated, the cost of providing child care will not increase.

OA - C

Source - Aristotle Prep
Since public criticism of child-care services has undermined all confidence in such services, and since such services are socially necessary, the government is certain to respond.
HOW will the government respond?
Governments have only one response to public criticism of socially necessary services: REGULATION.
What is the RESULT of regulation?
Governments inevitably make the activity MORE EXPENSIVE.
Thus, it must be true that child-care services will become more expensive, supporting B:
The cost of providing child-care services will increase.

The correct answer is not C but B.

Please edit your post accordingly.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3