Causation : Do I focus on the cause or the effect?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I came across this question which I do not disagree with the standard answer. It's from Q22 of Kaplan GMAT CAT 1.

===========================================

A national survey of 10,000 employed Americans indicated that, as a group, those who had held four or more different jobs in the past 5 years registered by far the highest level of dissatisfaction with their family and work. From this, psychologists concluded that people who do not remain in a job situation long enough to establish strong personal and professional ties tend to develop an attitude of discontent that carries into all other aspects of their lives.

Which of the following is the most effective rebuttal to the conclusion drawn by the psychologists from the survey?

1) The psychologists fail to recognize that many people who have remained in the same job for the past five years may also have registered high levels of dissatisfaction.

2) The psychologists neglect the question of whether moving from job to job may be an effect rather than a cause of general discontent and dissatisfaction.

==============================================

I have filtered down the answer choices to only 2 choices, listed 1) and 2) above. I do understand that this is a question on causation and according to GMAT CR Bible, there are 5 ways to weaken a causation argument.

1) weakens the argument by showing that the cause is missing though the effect is there.

2) weakens the argument by reversing the cause-effect relationship.

In my opinion, both answer choices look correct to me. However, GMAT Kaplan has rejected 1) as it focuses on the wrong group.
Can someone please explain what I'm missing out on here and if there is any amendment that needs to be made to GMAT CR Bible?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Lina » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:54 pm
A fantastic question! n i appreciate ur reasoning for both the answer choices..Even I follow strategies of CR bible n wud hav approached the question the way u did.

I feel your strategies are perfectly in place..but to deal with questions like these...a close look at the answer choices may help

1) The psychologists fail to recognize that many people who have remained in the same job for the past five years may also have registered high levels of dissatisfaction

Though a causal relationship is evident, but the word "MAY" - broad scope indicator. This answer choice talks about possiblities - there is very little clarity if people in the same job for 5 yrs hav actually registered high levels of dissatisfaction.They may have or they may not.Hence it's a less weakening answer compared to (2).

Let me know what you feel. Experts plz comment.

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:36 pm
A fantastic question! n i appreciate ur reasoning for both the answer choices..Even I follow strategies of CR bible n wud hav approached the question the way u did.

I feel your strategies are perfectly in place..but to deal with questions like these...a close look at the answer choices may help

1) The psychologists fail to recognize that many people who have remained in the same job for the past five years may also have registered high levels of dissatisfaction

Though a causal relationship is evident, but the word "MAY" - broad scope indicator. This answer choice talks about possiblities - there is very little clarity if people in the same job for 5 yrs hav actually registered high levels of dissatisfaction.They may have or they may not.Hence it's a less weakening answer compared to (2).

Let me know what you feel. Experts plz comment.
i totally agree with your choice based on the strength of language.

But can u please help me as to how did you pick A instead of B when B also uses the same "broad scope indicator"

2) The psychologists neglect the question of whether moving from job to job may be an effect rather than a cause of general discontent and dissatisfaction.

thank you!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:610
sunnyguest wrote:Hi,

I came across this question which I do not disagree with the standard answer. It's from Q22 of Kaplan GMAT CAT 1.

===========================================

A national survey of 10,000 employed Americans indicated that, as a group, those who had held four or more different jobs in the past 5 years registered by far the highest level of dissatisfaction with their family and work. From this, psychologists concluded that people who do not remain in a job situation long enough to establish strong personal and professional ties tend to develop an attitude of discontent that carries into all other aspects of their lives.

Which of the following is the most effective rebuttal to the conclusion drawn by the psychologists from the survey?

1) The psychologists fail to recognize that many people who have remained in the same job for the past five years may also have registered high levels of dissatisfaction.

==============================================

I have filtered down the answer choices to only 2 choices, listed 1) and 2) above. I do understand that this is a question on causation and according to GMAT CR Bible, there are 5 ways to weaken a causation argument.

1) weakens the argument by showing that the cause is missing though the effect is there.

2) weakens the argument by reversing the cause-effect relationship.

In my opinion, both answer choices look correct to me. However, GMAT Kaplan has rejected 1) as it focuses on the wrong group.
Can someone please explain what I'm missing out on here and if there is any amendment that needs to be made to GMAT CR Bible?
No amendments is to be made :-)

your reasoning to mark 1 as the contendor is not correct.
You implied that effect is there but with the different cause.
No!! Effect is not there

In 1. Effect is also different and the cause is also different.

We are talking about the group who do not remain in job for long.
Concentrating on other groups would lead to OOS choices.
Effect zeroes in on the wrong group.

Effect : Dissatisfaction (for the people who do not remain in job for long)
Cause: frequent change of jobs

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

IMO

by GMATters1001 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:24 pm
(1) Basically implies that correlation might not imply causation. However, just because this group is also dissatisfied doesn't preclude professional discontent from affecting personal life as stated in the conclusion i.e. (1) implies that there may be other causes of personal dissatisfaction but does not necessarily preclude the conclusion.

(2) The passage identifies correlation (job jumping and dissatisfaction coincide) and assumes causation (therefore latter causes former). The conclusion assumes that the latter causes the former and only cites correlation and conjecture to support this. (2) directly challenges whether correlation implies causation in the example and therefore is a strong rebuttal.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:13 am
definitely the second choice.

as noted by a poster above, the second choice nails the problem on the head: the psychologists merely noted a correlation, from which they assumed causation. that's not legitimate reasoning, as there are 3 possibilities: (a) X causes Y, (b) Y causes X, or (c) neither of X and Y causes the other, but, rather, both are artifacts of some third lurking variable.

i don't think i've seen a problem that deals with the third of these possibilities (the lurking variable), but there are LOTS of problems that deal with the issue of "x causes y" vs. "y causes x".
if you're going to argue that x causes y, then you must rule out the possibility that y causes x.

in fact, this is the problem so often with causation arguments that you should be able to PREDICT the answer to these kinds of questions before you even look at the answer choices.

--

the first choice is actually completely irrelevant to the argument, because it deals with a group that is totally outside the scope of the argument (i.e., people who haven't flitted from job to job).
the argument is concerned only with the people who have moved from job to job, so only statements about those people can have any sort of impact upon the argument's reasoning.

analogy:
if i'm trying to argue that participation in sports causes an increase in self-reliance, then it's totally irrelevant whether participation in other activities causes an increase in self-reliance. in fact, even if i have a choice that says activity X causes a greater increase in self-reliance than does sports, that's still irrelevant, because it has no bearing on the link between sports and self-reliance.
same problem with the first choice: it's concerned only with the link between moving from job to job aand dissatisfaction. anything to do with people who don't move from job to job is irrelevant.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron