Career Progression Vs International Workex -- Need some advi

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I have a choice to make - I have an offer with pwc to join them as Manager or go to MENA region for long term as part of my current job.

I want to weigh in which factor will have more impact on my resume :

1. Manager in 4.5 years - which typically makes my profiles as having attained 5 promotions in last 4.5 years of my workex.

2. International Workex - My profile misses this aspect as I have never worked outside my home country - thought my all clients were global, I was always working from my home country.

Please help me weigh in these two factors.

My profile snippet is below.

I am targeting US B schools & additionally INSEAD .

GMAT 670 ( Have attempted thrice, but wasn't able to push score to 700+)
Nationality : India

Undergraduate Study : Engineering Degree in Computer Science -2010 - 71%( from Govt. Engg. college)
#Headed IEEE & CSI committee.

Work Experience : Total : (November 2010 - Till date)
# Accenture Services Pvt Ltd - Software Engineer ( till Dec. 2012)
# Ernst & Young - Senior Consultant - Business Advisory Services

Key highlights of work experience :
1.Currently leading a team of global Business Owners & IT SME's across 4 geographies for SAP Transformation , resulting to YoY € 6 million saving for a large FMCG client
2.Formulated & pitched technology transformation Solutions to Fortune 500 clients & contributed to 1 Million USD business growth.
3.Led a team of 4 consultants for SAP strategy & implementation project for one of the largest CNR client - 65.9 Billion USD
4.Four promotions in four years till date.

CSR :
#Actively working as a member of NGO from college days, helped in fund raising and part of skill based program operated by them.
#My family runs a NGO & have been involved from fund raising to execution stage.

Short term Goal :Transition from Technology to Strategy roles.

Long term Goal : Promote family NGO to international level.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu May 14, 2015 8:37 pm
A few perspectives for your Vivek:
  1. Though in the IT/Tech space, you have notched up an enviable career arc. That is truly your differentiator and something work exploiting to stand out in the crowd. The GMAT of course will be a BIG handicap. So if you've not tried professional help on that, maybe give it another shot. If you have, perhaps its time to move on.
  2. I see that you already have sufficient formal leadership experience? Assuming the PwC role is in the same industry/function, I would give more importance in general to the international opportunity. It will be relevant both from your profile enhancement POV in general and also for your post-MBA goal perspective. For schools such as INSEAD, international experience will be a huge plus
  3. Make sure you are able to clearly explain the apparent disconnect between your short and long term goals. Can make or mar your story.
Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxMBAconsulting (Leah) » Sun May 17, 2015 10:26 am
You don't mention which US Schools you would target. If you do not resit the GMAT then I would assume top 25-15 US schools. In order to differentiate yourself you really need the international experience. Unfortunately top 20 schools don't go for many international candidates who have never left their home countries.
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Independent MBA Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

MBA Admissions Consultants & Firms - How to Hire a Great One

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Wed May 20, 2015 5:46 am
singh.p.vivek wrote:I have a choice to make - I have an offer with pwc to join them as Manager or go to MENA region for long term as part of my current job.

I want to weigh in which factor will have more impact on my resume :

1. Manager in 4.5 years - which typically makes my profiles as having attained 5 promotions in last 4.5 years of my workex.

2. International Workex - My profile misses this aspect as I have never worked outside my home country - thought my all clients were global, I was always working from my home country.

Please help me weigh in these two factors.

My profile snippet is below.

I am targeting US B schools & additionally INSEAD .

GMAT 670 ( Have attempted thrice, but wasn't able to push score to 700+)
Nationality : India

Undergraduate Study : Engineering Degree in Computer Science -2010 - 71%( from Govt. Engg. college)
#Headed IEEE & CSI committee.

Work Experience : Total : (November 2010 - Till date)
# Accenture Services Pvt Ltd - Software Engineer ( till Dec. 2012)
# Ernst & Young - Senior Consultant - Business Advisory Services

Key highlights of work experience :
1.Currently leading a team of global Business Owners & IT SME's across 4 geographies for SAP Transformation , resulting to YoY € 6 million saving for a large FMCG client
2.Formulated & pitched technology transformation Solutions to Fortune 500 clients & contributed to 1 Million USD business growth.
3.Led a team of 4 consultants for SAP strategy & implementation project for one of the largest CNR client - 65.9 Billion USD
4.Four promotions in four years till date.

CSR :
#Actively working as a member of NGO from college days, helped in fund raising and part of skill based program operated by them.
#My family runs a NGO & have been involved from fund raising to execution stage.

Short term Goal :Transition from Technology to Strategy roles.

Long term Goal : Promote family NGO to international level.

Hey dude, sees like you have some good options in front of you!

Honestly, it's hard to say without knowing every detail of your profile and offers, but basically my advice is to ignore the MBA when you choose your job. What I mean is that if one job is much much moire interesting or well-paid or whatever, go for that one. Otherwise, leadership is far more important than international experience (unless that is ALSO coming with leadership).

Best,
Jon
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.