Captain in Merchant Navy 680 in GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:680

Captain in Merchant Navy 680 in GMAT

by anuragdawar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:53 am
Hi,

I Gave my GMAT and have got a score of 680(Q46 V37).

I am a Captain in merchant Navy sailing onboard Ocean Going Oil Tankers trading Worldwide.

My job profile includes Navigating an Oil Tanker loaded with Gasoline,Diesel,Kerosene, Aviation fuel etc from one place in the world to another safely and efficiently. I manage a multinational crew of about 25-30 people when onboard. The safety of the vessel and of the environment are also one of my prime concerns as well as responsibilities.

I have been sailing in various ranks in a Singapore based company since June 1997(18 Years).

I hold 2nd Mate's Certificate of Competency from MMD,India completed in Dec 2002

An Advanced Diploma in Marine Transport and Distribution from TAFE, Australia completed in 2006 and a Master's Certificate of Competency(FG)from AMSA,Asutralia.

I have also completed a Formal Graduation in BA(Major)Public Administration from IGNOU New Delhi.

What schools could I target with my present score in India or US/Singapore.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:01 pm
Hi anuragdawar,

First off, a 680 is a strong overall score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. You also have an interesting backstory, so you shouldn't have any trouble 'standing out' as long as you present yourself correctly in your applications.

There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Here are some things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet. However, when it comes to earning an MBA, the investment of time, money and energy is significant, so you really want to make sure that you're going for a degree that fits YOUR wants/needs.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by anuragdawar » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 am
Hey thanks so much for your guidance. You folks are really doing a great job.
Just another question though.
I want to do a full time 1 year MBA programme which will help me to find suitable opportunities to work ashore in a similar position. I am willing to relocate for the duration of the course.Do I stand a chance say in the top 10 univ. And could you suggest a few..

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:23 pm
Do I stand a chance say in the top 10 univ. And could you suggest a few..
Without question you can apply to top-10 schools. Ever notice how many application essay questions are about detailing instances in which you've demonstrated leadership qualities? Schools care about this, and let's just say that they'll be pretty confident that Navy captains possess this particular quality. Off the top of my head, I can think of two former students of mine who had very similar backgrounds to yours - comparable GMAT scores/backgrounds. One ended up at Kellogg, the other HBS. Of course, nothing's guaranteed, but you certainly should not hesitate to apply to any program that interests you.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course