Can you evaluate the application?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Can you evaluate the application?

by ns61 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:20 pm
Hi Folks,

Just finished giving the GMAT and don't I hate that exam, but had to get it done.

Would you please help me to evaluate my profile?

Education: BS in Electical Eng. - 3.79 / 4.0 from University of Illinois, UC (top 3) - graduated with honors
MS in Electrical Eng - 3.4X / 4.0 From University of Illinois, UC while working full time
GMAT: 660 (83%) - Q (49 - 88%) & V - (31 - 59%) : Honestly couldn't have done with out Veritas GMAT Course. Great course and I highly recommend. It helped me a lot - moved my score from 540 to 660!

Work Experience: 7 years in Semiconductor Area
Basically, my expertise are in running the factory and dealing with customers. Ran Factory for 5+ years and dealt with customer for all kinds of situations for 2+ years. Sure, I am six sigma certified, etc. Might add to my quant side - I don't know if it helps.

Community Service:
Chairman of a non-profit for prevention of HIV and AIDS - 4+ years
few other organizations

I don't know if I am classified under "Indian IT pool". Am I? Have been thinking about MBA lately, and see what are my chances in Top 10. Just feel time is right.

Any advice or "inside word" will be appreciated :)

Thanks.
NS

by ns61 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:23 pm
Forgot to ask, I was reading few different posts and now my GMAT score is making me nervous. Should I re-take my GMAT?

yes or No would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:06 pm
Your profile looks good. You are not necessarily in the "Indian IT pool" HOWEVER you will still need to differentiate yourself as a candidate. Do you have unique post-MBA goals? Or a unique set of experiences to bring to the table? Your GPA and work experience are solid. Be sure that you talk about any career growth or increase in responsibilities over the 7 years.

Your GMAT is pretty good. Obviously, a 660 is not bad and actually falls within the 80% range of many top tier programs however you are entering a very competitive admissions year and will need to demonstrate your quant and verbal skills in other parts of your application (essays and interviews for verbal, previous academic/professional experience for quant). I would only recommend retaking the GMAT if 1) you have not taken it more than 2x already, 2) you have a study approach that will boost your score, and 3) you will still be ready to apply no later than round 2.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by ns61 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:25 pm
Thanks a lot for your reply Scottie.

I have taken GMAT 3 times. The first time I scored 540 (in 2004), 550 (in 2005) and 660 (just a week ago). I have never scored that high ever -even on Veritas GMAT prep exams. At home ,my score used to wander around 600 to 650. But I can always try again and re-do the Veritas course. But do you think it will be benefiticial?

Also, on the questions for what I bring to the table, how specific do we need to get? I have read few different essays where they say, I will join or start XYZ group at School, blah, blah. Is that necessary? I think it is just a BS line, but am not the judge. What do you think about that? I was thinking of approaching just on my team effort and my professional expertise.

On the last note, do you think it will be good to add personal side to the application essays? Or should I just stick to the professional life?

Again, thanks a lot on your advice and good words. Actually, makes me less nervous now.

appreciate your time.

NS

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:55 am
Taking the GMAT more than 3x is a red flag to adcom and could be detrimental if your score does not significantly improve.

When talking about what you "bring to the table" you want to demonstrate that you have unique characteristics that would contribute to the class. Most MBA students learn a lot from their classmates in addition to their professors. Therefore, admissions committees seek students who can "add to" the class.

When students talk about specific clubs or organizations at schools they are showing that they are serious about the program and have done their due diligence on the school. Remember, not everyone who gets accepted actually matriculates and programs are always looking to increase their yield rates. Students who are serious about a school and can talk in specifics are probably more likely to attend if accepted.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options