Can we see number of questions per passage?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Can we see number of questions per passage?

by harrays » Wed May 09, 2007 1:26 pm
Hi,
I have been preparing for GMAT for the last few weeks. BeatTheGMAT surely beats all the other sites in providing information and right content. I haven't taken the "GMATPrep" exams yet, but on the other exams I took, I have never seen the number of questions per passage appearing at the top when we see the passage and the first question - ex: (questions 10 to 15)

Can we know number of the questions per passage? Can anyone please confirm it?

Thank you,
Hareesh

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Wed May 09, 2007 5:09 pm
There is no such fixed number. Number of questions per passage depends on the length/complexity of the passage. You might get around 4 passages in the GMAT. Each of them might have 3-4 questions. (Extreme cases may have 2 or 5)

by harrays » Wed May 09, 2007 6:14 pm
Thanks for the reply Rajesh...

I meant to ask if I could know how many questions there are for each passge, I know it varies per passage.

So, say the first passage had 5 questions, and the RC started at question #12 (out of 41), would I see any indication anywhere that the RC is presented for questions 12-16 (5 questions) beforehand at question #12? Continuing the example, if there is another RC started at question #23 and had 3 questions, would I see any indicaton anywhere that the RC is prsented for questions 23-25 (3 questions) before seeing all the three questions?

Basically, my question is, can I know the number of questions per passage? (I know that is is variable number) Or should I have to expect unknown number of questions untill I see a completely different question, not one that is related to RC?

Did I make sense?

Thanks,
Hareesh

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Wed May 09, 2007 8:01 pm
Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
No, you can't see the number of questions for a passage. It is a CAT, so the maybe even the computer doesn't know the number of questions for a passage. The number of questions might depend on your performance. If it finds out you are doing great, it might give you tougher (and more) questions from the same paragraph (and of course reward you accordingly)!

by harrays » Wed May 09, 2007 9:12 pm
I thought so too, but I read somewhere that #of questions for a passage are indicated at the top beforehand. So, I was just confirming.

Thanks for the response.

Hareesh

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:04 am
Even i thought i read on the forums that the number of questions per passage are known as soon as you see the passage.

I just gave a GMAT Prep exam. i did not see that... I am attaching the screenshot of an RC passage from GMAT Prep to confirm the same.

As far as number of passages are concerned, I got 4 passages in the test. 14 questions.

https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!