"Can" vs "yes/no"

This topic has 3 expert replies and 3 member replies
jnorton1547 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
10 messages
Upvotes:

"Can" vs "yes/no"

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:02 pm
I will post this topic in both threads since it deals with both question types.

On one my first practice CATS, I came across the following data sufficiency question:

"Can the positive integer "a" be written as the sum of two different prime numbers?"

The solution I worked toward took the meaning of "can" to mean, "can it - even one time - be sum of two different prime numbers given whatever combination of the statements may lead to?" Low and behold, I answered incorrectly and the explanation provided that because neither statement was "always yes" or "always no", neither was sufficient.

So I tucked the fact that "can" doesn't negate the "always" aspect of these questions in my memory bank and moved on.

Fast forward to today. I just finished another set of practice problems and I came across this problem solving question:

"The average of a series of consecutive integers is an even integer. Which of the following could be true?
I. There is an even number of integers in the series.
II. The smallest number in the series is odd.
III. The product of the smallest and largest number in the series is odd."

Now, I have flashes of memory going off to disregard the "could" (as a relative of "can"), and to answer the question on the basis of being absolute. However, I did take in that this was a problem solving question, and in this case, I rightfully disregarded this new rule - to disregard "can" ( so now I'm in a double negative situation where I'm disregarding rules to disregard)- and answered correctly.

HOWEVER - it brings up this "do I disregard something, and what do I disregard" dilemma that I worry about unless I'm given some kind of rule or logic to apply in these cases.

So here is what I'm currently setting out to operate with, and I would appreciate any feedback:

In ALL data sufficiency questions, no matter what the test makers may be trying to do by including a word like "can" in the question stem, I should abide by the "always yes" or "always no" philosophy.

Then, with respect to problem solving questions, I should take the queues provided in the question, whether that is "could", "can", "may be", etc, and answer the question accordingly.

-Jud

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Posted:
10 messages
Upvotes:
Top Reply
Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:11 pm
Wow, awesome! Thank you so much for checking the OG for me!

I figured that was the case - I couldn't think of a way for a DS question to ask it that way, but I'm not a test maker so I'm sure there are plenty of ways I can't think of asking some of these questions!

I appreciate your diligence in both flipping through the OG and in your explanations. Very helpful!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Top Reply
Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:11 am
My pleasure! I wanted to double-check for my own sake, in case any of my students asks this question again. Good luck with your studies!

Ceilidh Erickson
Manhattan Prep GMAT & GRE instructor
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Manhattan Prep instructors all have 99th+ percentile scores and expert teaching experience.
Sign up for a FREE TRIAL, and learn why we have the highest ratings in the GMAT industry!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
Posted:
10 messages
Upvotes:
Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:11 pm
Wow, awesome! Thank you so much for checking the OG for me!

I figured that was the case - I couldn't think of a way for a DS question to ask it that way, but I'm not a test maker so I'm sure there are plenty of ways I can't think of asking some of these questions!

I appreciate your diligence in both flipping through the OG and in your explanations. Very helpful!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:11 am
My pleasure! I wanted to double-check for my own sake, in case any of my students asks this question again. Good luck with your studies!

Ceilidh Erickson

Manhattan Prep instructors all have 99th+ percentile scores and expert teaching experience.
Sign up for a FREE TRIAL, and learn why we have the highest ratings in the GMAT industry!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:54 pm
No, a DS question will never ask you effectively "is there some integer 'a' that can be written as..." (I actually flipped through all of OG13 just to double-check that there were no exceptions out there!)

The reason is this: "is there some integer" questions, like the one we have here, are generally questions we could answer without any extra information provided. "Is there some number that's an even multiple of 3?" Sure, lots of them! No other information needed. So with DS, it makes sense that they ask "Is the integer 'n' an even multiple of 3?" Now we need some more information about 'n' before we can answer this.

DS will always ask you about a specific value, specific average, specific ratio, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to determine the value to answer the question, though! Consider:

Is the integer 'x' between 29 and 34?

(1) x is a multiple of 7

Here, we don't need to pinpoint which multiple of 7 'x' is. It's enough to know that there aren't any multiples of 7 in the range 29 to 34. But theoretically at least, 'x' does have a singular value.

Ceilidh Erickson

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: jnorton1547, rkav
Posted:
10 messages
Upvotes:
Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:43 am
To everything I asked before, yes, it answered my questions. And very well too. Thank you. The wait was worth it!

But I do have one more question - or really a matter of clarification - that spawned from your answer:

So in latching on to "the" in the question stem of the first example to determine that it's asking for a single value, and to follow that up with the stating that the distinction is less about "can" vs "always" and more about what the question is asking for, does this mean that there may be times when a DS question uses less definitive language in the question stem, and that we may need to approach it with "can this work" rather than "does this always lead to..."?

So in using a variation of this example, will there ever be a situation where the question asks "Can a positive integer 'a' be written as the sum of two different prime numbers?"[/u]

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 112 topics
2 swerve 64 topics
3 LUANDATO 64 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 57 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

227 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

176 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

138 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

129 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts