BTG question pool CR

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

BTG question pool CR

by focusgmat » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:37 am
Students who perform average work in school sometimes receive higher grades than they actually deserve. These students are able to convince teachers that they truly enjoy the subject matter, are stimulated by the lectures, or have a personal interest in the instructor. These students must be careful, however, because exaggerated efforts may backfire.
If the statements above are true, which of the following draws the most reliable conclusion from the paragraph?
1. Students are dishonest when it comes to grades.
2. Teachers may give grades to students for reasons other than classroom performance.
3. Good students will seldom resort to trickery in achieving good grades.
4. Teachers want to help their students to excel in the classroom.
5. The perceptions of average students are important in achieving good grades.

oa 2

Please explain as to how I need to attack 'draw a conclusion' questions and as such how to attack the arg above. Aren't these type of questions similar to inference questions. Please help.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by winner's attitude » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:07 pm
focusgmat wrote:Students who perform average work in school sometimes receive higher grades than they actually deserve. These students are able to convince teachers that they truly enjoy the subject matter, are stimulated by the lectures, or have a personal interest in the instructor. These students must be careful, however, because exaggerated efforts may backfire.
If the statements above are true, which of the following draws the most reliable conclusion from the paragraph?
2. Teachers may give grades to students for reasons other than classroom performance.

oa 2

Please explain as to how I need to attack 'draw a conclusion' questions and as such how to attack the arg above. Aren't
these type of questions similar to inference questions. Please help.

1)Ave. Students receive higher grades than they deserve.
2)These students are able to convince teachers with xyz
3)These students must be careful, exaggerated efforts may backfire.

1. Students are dishonest when it comes to grades - extreme
2. Teachers may give grades to students for reasons other than classroom performance. - correct answer because it can be the outcome of the situation
3. Good students will seldom resort to trickery in achieving good grades. - opposite
4. Teachers want to help their students to excel in the classroom. - help not discussed
5. The perceptions of average students are important in achieving good grades. - out of scope

I try to apply POE by categorizing the given options in three categories ..and apply POE

Out of scope
Prediction
Must be false

I hereby request all the masters of CR to share their way of POE ( if possible point wise categories )

Pls add other categories which can be potential wrong choices , I think if 4/5 people contribute to this thread for different categories , we will have a final list of possible categories in which most of the answers fall

Thanks very much.. GMATgurus - pls help

Pls correct me if I am wrong

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:30 pm
Break this down this way

1. Students convince teachers that they enjoy the work, are simulated, etc....
2. This behavior allows the students to sometimes gets better grades that their work deserves
3. Sometimes though they dont get good grades because their tactics to kiss up to the teacher backfire

A. Incorrect. This passage has nothing to do with being honest or dishonest in regards to grades. Its possible to infer that they are dishonest when it comes to their interest in the material or teacher but not the grade.

B. Correct. If you look at points 1 and 2 above this is exactly what the author states. students are not doing the work to get good grades but their ability to kiss up to the teacher persuades the teacher to give a good grade

C. Incorrect. This has nothing to do with good or bad students, just an observation about the process in general

D. Incorrect. While this may be true there is nothing here to indicate that teachers are doing anything but possibly being persuaded by non classroom factors.

E. Incorrect. This has nothing to do with anything. They never mention average students ("average work is what is mentioned"). The author also says that the perception could get good or bad grades, depending on how the teacher reacts.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:36 pm
focusgmat wrote:Students who perform average work in school sometimes receive higher grades than they actually deserve. These students are able to convince teachers that they truly enjoy the subject matter, are stimulated by the lectures, or have a personal interest in the instructor. These students must be careful, however, because exaggerated efforts may backfire.

oa 2

Please explain as to how I need to attack 'draw a conclusion' questions and as such how to attack the arg above. Aren't these type of questions similar to inference questions. Please help.
i choose D because of these sentences " These students are able to convince teachers that they truly enjoy the subject matter, are stimulated by the lectures, or have a personal interest in the instructor.""

dun understand why its B, do you have its explaination?
experts pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaseee!

by gtr02 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:25 am
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
i choose D because of these sentences " These students are able to convince teachers that they truly enjoy the subject matter, are stimulated by the lectures, or have a personal interest in the instructor.""

i think i know why choice (d) is wrong, look at the first statement...
"Students who perform average work in school sometimes receive higher grades than they actually deserve."

if this is really true, then ask yourself how is it that teachers really want to help their students excel?

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:10 am
In (5) , what is meant by "perceptions of average students " ?
I did ponder over a long time but at the end eliminated it because the stimulus tells us that students who do average work sometimes get higher grades than what they actually deserve not always.Option 5 seems to be telling us that perceptions of average students are always important in achieving good grades .

GMAT Score:750

by ashforgmat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:56 am
shud be B ..

but have the same doubt as Munda SIngh above...
whats the meaning of the last choice ? Or is it a typo?

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:660

by chendawg » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:54 am
Draw a conclusion questions are indeed like inference questions. The correct answer choice MUST be true.

(A) Students are dishonest when it comes to grades.

Incorrect. This does not have to be true, as in the passage it states, "These students are able to convince teachers that they truly enjoy the subject matter, are stimulated by the lectures, or have a personal interest in the instructor." Students can truly be honest and do all three.

(B) Teachers may give grades to students for reasons other than classroom performance.

Correct. This HAS to be true, because in the passage it states, "Students who perform average work in school sometimes receive higher grades than they actually deserve." If this were not true, then there's NO WAY that a student who performs average work can receive a higher grade than they deserve.

(C) Good students will seldom resort to trickery in achieving good grades.

Incorrect. All students can be tricky or all students can be not tricky in achieving their good grades. Seldom tricky does NOT have to be true.

(D) Teachers want to help their students to excel in the classroom.

Incorrect. It does not have to be true that teachers want to help their students to excel in the classroom. Teachers can care nothing at all about wanting to help their students, but they can still perform their job (i.e. giving out correct grades to correct work) to the highest level or extremely poor (i.e. give out A's to their favorite students).

(E) The perceptions of average students are important in achieving good grades.

Incorrect. Although I personally think this answer choice is vague in its meaning, I think it means that in getting good grades, one must be cognizant how an average student is perceived, in order not to be lumped in with those students. This does not have to be true, as one can be the best student in the class and not have any clue how the average student is doing (i.e. a student who's been sick and have been doing work from home).

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:660

by chendawg » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 am
diebeatsthegmat wrote:

oa 2

diebeatsthegmat, if teachers definitely want to help help their students (if it's ALWAYS true), this would negate the true premise above that states, "students who perform average work in school sometimes receive higher grades than they actually deserve." If they give out inflated grades, this actually hurts students because they don't fully grasp what they may need for the next higher class.

Site Admin
Followed by:7 members

by sumayahlaura » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:09 pm
In my experience if you have to ponder for a long time over a CR questions to find an answer's meaning it's not the right answer. for example in this question there is not mention of the "perceptions of average students are important in achieving good grades" You'd have to do a whole lot of inferring since the paragraph written never uses the word perception and achieving. I find when it comes to CR stick to what's actually written in the paragraph.

GMAT Score:710

by badpoem » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:54 am
chose A. But must accept that the last time I did this I had chosen E. Average work NOT= Average students.

by prashant misra » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:04 am
the official answer seems to be option B

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mjmehta81 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:49 am
A. Extreme

B. yes. Clear from stem that inspite being average they are able to get good grades. Means teacher may give them higher grades for some other reason then class performance.

C. Not mentioned or discussed.

D. Helping excel is not related to giving good grade despite of average performance.

E. Opposite to what is discussed.

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by ronnie1985 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:51 am
the passage says that avg students get better grades than what they deserve, hence they must be favoured by someone, say teacher...
Follow your passion, Success as perceived by others shall follow you

Followed by:3 members

by Lifetron » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 am
Considering the flow of the argument, 2 seems more opt !