Both MSF & MBA? U of Maryland??

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Both MSF & MBA? U of Maryland??

by dani_n88 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:40 am
Hi guys,

I am about to graduate form U of Maryland this spring and majoring in Economics with a 3.1 GPA.
In order to get into a top 5/ top 10 business school I would need to have more work experience than
others since my overall GPA is not high. Also I would have to do exceptional on the GMAT.

As of right now I don't have any related work experience in my field of interest and I am taking the
GMAT for the first time in a month. I am expecting +- 650. My finance professor informed me that Maryland U
has started a new Master of Science in Business: Finance program in Washington DC. I am considering to
Apply to this program for 2 reasons:

1) Although I have taken finance courses, I am not a Finance major so a MSF would help me land top finance jobs.

2) It would show TOP MBA schools that I want to advance my education and also proves that I have a strong
background in Finance. Also it would cover up my low GPA.

However, my main concern is what if the admission council of a top MBA program consider having a MSF almost
equivalent to having a MBA and therefore not accept me. Also the MSF program is fairly new at U of Maryland.
In fact no one has graduated from it yet so there are no stats on what type of jobs they landed or how reputable the program is.

So what are you opinions on this?
Should I pursue the MSF for now, work for a couple of years and then apply to top MBA?
or should I just wait and work for a couple of years then apply to a top 10-15 MBA?
(Chances of me landing a good finance related job in this economy and with a ECONOMICS degree is not high)