Booth Weekend MBA - Competitiveness

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Booth Weekend MBA - Competitiveness

by b2beat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:24 am
Based on my research, is it fair to say the class profile for Booth Weekend MBA is:

GMAT: 700 avg
Experience: 6-7 years
GPA: 3.2-3.5

I am trying to gauge how competitive this program is relative to the full-time. Most of the stats they provide online include evening MBA students, but I am trying to isolate on the Weekend MBA profile. Weekend MBA has about 150ish students in each class year.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:14 am
Hello

I am not sure I understand your question. In general, for most business schools, among all MBA programs, the full-time MBA is the most competitive. It is definitely more competitive than part time MBA. As far as Booth is considered, it has two types of part time MBA programs and based on your needs you can choose one.

According to the website, the stats for both Weekend and Evening MBA are

Average GMAT 680
Average GPA 3.2-3.4
Average work experience - 5-6 years.
Average Age - 29-30

Whereas these stats, especially for GMAT and GPA, are quite high for the full time MBA class. These programs are exclusive for working professionals whereas full time MBA is more suited for career changers. Chicago - Booth has one of the best part - time MBA programs other than UCB-Haas. So this is as competitive as it gets.

You can check out the class profile of full time MBA program at Chicago Booth here https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/chicag ... t-analysis

Let me know if you have any doubts.
All the Best

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews &Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book on How to Get into a Top Business School here https://www.interviewbay.com/school/how- ... -ebook.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by b2beat » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:12 am
I guess my question is I have heard that Weekend is more competitive than Evening. Is this true? I found the stats I provided exclusively for weekend based on past chats from Booth.

From Chat Transcript:
Humberto: Good question, Nick. A GMAT score of 640 is within our admitted range of upper-500s to 800, but below our average of 680 for Evening/700 for Weekend.

This would imply Weekend is on par with full-time programs.

Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:26 am
Hello again

It is a little difficult to compare weekend and evening MBA programs of Booth as both of them are part time MBA programs. You cannot consider GMAT scores alone to decide the competitiveness. The average GPA for the full time MBA class is around 3.7 which is quite high and the quality of work experience of incoming students would also be excellent. So either of the part time MBA programs would not be as competitive as the full-time program.

Comparing weekend and evening programs, the competitiveness would depend on the applicant pool, which could vary year from year. Only adcoms could tell you. The sole purpose of these two programs is to provide greater flexibility to Booth students and students in either stream can attend classes of the other. At any time there are more students in the weekday program as it admits students four times in a year while the weekend MBA program admits students only in the autumn quarter. This could be the reason for the high average GMAT score. In addition, the evening program offers additional opportunities such as the CBF program.

Hope this helps
All the Best

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews &Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book on How to Get into a Top Business School here https://www.interviewbay.com/school/how- ... -ebook.php

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:10 am
Hi there!

The Booth Weekend GMAT may be slightly higher, but given your score, you shouldn't be concerned about that. And the Weekend, though higher than Full Time, does not means it's on the same level as the full time. The bottom line here is that if you're a fit for their part-time program (either Evening or Weekend), you will be strongly considered - no need to bifurcate further than past full-time vs. part-time.

If you'd like to chat more about a game plan on how to attack your application, let us know → click here.

Hope this helps!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:04 pm
Hi b2beat,

Chicago Booth is equally competitive for all its MBA programs. You cannot really compare a full time MBA to a evening/weekend MBA even though the degree is the same the outcome and aspirations can be different. They will mostly combine data for all MBA programs because weekend/online MBA program students also taken certain courses together with the full time MBA students.

Let us know if you have any further queries and we would be happy to help.
www.manyagroup.com

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:28 pm
I don't think the difference between the evening part time program and the weekend part time program will be significant. You should apply for the one that fits best with your schedule. Something to think about with the weekend program is that you'll have lots of folks potentially flying in for the weekend for classes and then going back to their homes on Sunday. Might make for a weaker network.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!