96 messages
Test Date:
hopefully in feb
Target GMAT Score:

Books on CR?

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:27 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    I bought the manhattan gmat for sentence correction and found it very helpful..However when i looked at amazon for other manhattan gmat verbal books (RC, CR ) none of them have any reviews on them which tells me they are not as popular !

I looked at the sticky on top of this forum but it doesn't address any resources directly for CR...

So what's the best way to go ? i looked around and found out that kaplan can be useful and then there is something called CR1000.. then there is manhattan CR. also princeton review

can any help me out on this. please add more to the above list and then arrange them in the decreasing order of how good they are.

Thanks !
    Tk

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:42 pm
    TkNeo wrote:
    I bought the manhattan gmat for sentence correction and found it very helpful..However when i looked at amazon for other manhattan gmat verbal books (RC, CR ) none of them have any reviews on them which tells me they are not as popular !

I looked at the sticky on top of this forum but it doesn't address any resources directly for CR...

So what's the best way to go ? i looked around and found out that kaplan can be useful and then there is something called CR1000.. then there is manhattan CR. also princeton review

can any help me out on this. please add more to the above list and then arrange them in the decreasing order of how good they are.

Thanks !
    Tk
    Hi Tk:

You definitely identified a big resource hole when it comes to GMATPrep--there aren't that many reputable books when it comes to CR specifically.

If I had to choose one book though, it would probably be Manhattan GMAT CR--this resource is not nearly as widely worshipped as the SC book, but overall I've heard good things about it. Next I would go with Princeton Review or a Kaplan book, then after exhausting all those resources, I would think about working through the 1000 CR questions. Use 1000CR as a last resort since some of the questions in this document are questionable.

Good luck!

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

TkNeo Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    96 messages
    Test Date:
    hopefully in feb
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:07 pm
    Thanks for your reply.

I have the princeton review from the library. I am going to order the Manhattan CR book and review it how about that ?

Thanks for your comment on CR1000. I wasn't very keen on that anyways. I don't see how solving a 1000 questions is going to help !

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:14 pm
    sounds like a good plan.

TkNeo Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    96 messages
    Test Date:
    hopefully in feb
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:13 am
    TkNeo wrote:
    I am going to order the Manhattan CR book and review it how about that ?

I got the book but it has like 200 pages. WTF! Who has time for that ? It has chapters contributed to each aspect of CR like finding assumption, strengthening, weakening, inference... I mean its great to have everything covered in so much detail but the thing is that most people take the GMAT while they are working full time... So all the material should be concise and to the point !

I will probably identify my weak areas and only get to just those ....

resilient Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Posted:
    789 messages
    Followed by:
    6 members
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:48 pm
    I am going through the mahattan gmat critical reasoning bible. I noticed that sometimes i get wrong answers and this is the easiest part of the verbal. I can easily make the cr my strength in verbal since sc is my weakness. Is it recommended to abandon the cr manhattan gmat and spend a few days in the powerscore critical reasoing bible? Is it worth the time or should I just focus all my time on my mistakes.? THis is the point I need to make a decision to either study mistakes or do some ground work for CR? I understand almost all of what manhattan gmat has to teach! I am curious becase there are such raving reviews on the cr bible!

jamess Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    51 messages
    Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:51 am
    TkNeo wrote:
    TkNeo wrote:
    I am going to order the Manhattan CR book and review it how about that ?

I got the book but it has like 200 pages. WTF! Who has time for that ? It has chapters contributed to each aspect of CR like finding assumption, strengthening, weakening, inference... I mean its great to have everything covered in so much detail but the thing is that most people take the GMAT while they are working full time... So all the material should be concise and to the point !

I will probably identify my weak areas and only get to just those ....
    For this very reason, I have written notes on CR in 22 pages. I agree that studying 200 pages for CR only is like beating the hell out of GMAT Very Happy. Dont know whether everyone has the time to do it.

I think you can check them out.

boyara Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    11 messages
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:15 pm
    can u send me the CR in 22 pages ..please ..or let me know the link where it is saved ..thanks

jamess Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    51 messages
    Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:20 am
    boyara wrote:
    can u send me the CR in 22 pages ..please ..or let me know the link where it is saved ..thanks
    it can be bought for 3.99 from (http://gmatadvice.blogspot.com/2008/04/launched-ebook-on-critical-reasoning.html). It is delivered to your mailbox within 48hrs after successful payment.

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 152 topics
    2 lheiannie07 61 topics
    3 Roland2rule 49 topics
    4 ardz24 40 topics
    5 LUANDATO 32 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

141 posts
    2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

107 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

106 posts
    4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

104 posts
    5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

76 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts