Big difference between quant and verbal

Launched June 1, 2012
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Big difference between quant and verbal

by jgriffin055 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:09 pm
Hi All -

I recently took the GMAT and was disappointed when I saw my score of 580. After analyzing my results further, I found something even more frustrating... quant is almost the sole reason for my low score. I bombed it! (580 54% - Q 28/19% V 42/96%). Had I done half decent on the quant section I would have been golden. Also, this is my 3rd attempt with this 580 being the highest score.

I have a Finance degree with a 3.2 from a small liberal arts school, 5 years experience in financial advisory (hold a Series 7, 6 and 66) and data analysis at a fortune 500 company as well as extensive international experience.

My question is what should do? I have researched many schools and my score puts me at the low end of some of my target schools 80% range. However, I have also read schools weight the Quant score more heavily. With my poor showing should I retake the test even though I have a financial background?

I would like to go to a top 50 business school (us, eu, or asia) for an international business MBA. My short term and long term career goals are to enter a leadership development program in Asia or Europe ideally with an airline. Long term goals include becoming an executive in the airline or tourism industry.

Ideally, I would like to apply in r1.

Thanks for the help!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:03 am
Probably worth taking the exam one more time, but I would not try to force round 1.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review