Best initial CAT?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Best initial CAT?

by hmisgina » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:32 pm
Hi all,

Are there any thoughts on what practice test I should take first to gauge my knowledge before studying? I was thinking one of GMAC's practice tests, but I heard it does not provide analysis. If that's true, then I'm contemplating MGMAT's free practice test.

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:02 pm
First, there is some debate about this, but in my, strong, opinion, you are better off preparing some before taking that first test. At least go over the question types. Do some problem solving questions, some data sufficiency questions and some of each type of verbal question so that at the very least you are familiar with how each type of question works and won't have to consider how to even go about answering them. That way you will get a better read on where you really stand, without your results being colored by your being totally new to the game. I would even recommend doing a math review, if that's appropriate for you, and overall preparing for a week or more before taking that first practice test.

As far as which test to use for your first one, the answer is a tossup, I guess, although I think you would be better off using a GMAT Prep test first. The Manhattan tests are pretty good, but don't quite duplicate the look and feel of the actual test. So to best see where you stand and to get the most accurate sense of how the test is, you would use a GMAT Prep test. It is a tossup though, and you may even want to save the GMAT Prep test for later, as there are only four available.

As far as analysis goes, in my experience, one can pretty well tell by going back over the test results what one needs to work on.

So to a large degree the choice depends on what you know about yourself and how you work best.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:55 am
Hi hmisgina,

As Marty noted, it's perfectly fine to do a bit of studying before taking that initial Diagnostic CAT, but you shouldn't dive too deep into those initial studies (or you might never convince yourself to take that 1st CAT).

The most realistic CATs on the market are the 4 GMAC CATs (the 2 free ones and the additional 2 that can be purchased). While there are other CATs that are 'close-enough', the reality of that initial CAT is important - since that score result provides a baseline and defines your initial strengths and weaknesses. In that way, having the MOST accurate initial assessment is important. To that end, you should also plan to take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), so that we can see how you handle the endurance/fatigue 'challenges' of the Full Exam.

Some Test Takers become overly concerned about 'wasting' one of the GMAC CATs on the first attempt, but there are 3 other GMAC CATs and a variety of 3rd party CATs that you can use during the course of your studies, so that concern seems more emotional than practical.

1) Have you done any studying so far?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hmisgina » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:23 pm
Marty and Rich,

Thanks so much. This certainly helps. I have not done any studying yet, but will do some light prep before taking my first CAT. It sounds like sticking to the GMAC CAT is the way to go. Makes total sense.

Thanks again for your help!