Because of wireless service costs plummeting

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.

A. Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people
B. As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people
C. In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people
D. With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are
E. While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile phones are increasingly common, many people are

OAD

Please explain.

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:13 am
Needgmat wrote:Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.

A. Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people
B. As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people
C. In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people
D. With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are
E. While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile phones are increasingly common, many people are
In A and B, many people (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate A and B.

A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
C: with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become
Here, the red portion (a prepositional modifier) and the blue portion (a clause) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate C.

A while-modifier must serve to express an action happening AT THE SAME TIME as the main action.
E: While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year, many people are now using
Here, the red portion happened IN THE LAST YEAR, whereas the blue portion is happening NOW.
Since the while-modifier does not serve to express an action happening at the same time as the main action, eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:46 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Needgmat wrote:Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.

Eliminate A and B.

Here, the red portion (a prepositional modifier) and the blue portion (a clause) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate C.

A while-modifier must serve to express an action happening AT THE SAME TIME as the main action.
E: While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year, many people are now using
Here, the red portion happened IN THE LAST YEAR, whereas the blue portion is happening NOW.
Since the while-modifier does not serve to express an action happening at the same time as the main action, eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Hi Mitch,

I eliminated E because the meaning. 'while' introduces contradiction but the meaning does not show that contradiction. So eliminate E.

is my reasoning valid?

Thanks

by Needgmat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:47 am
Eliminate A and B.

Eliminate C.

The correct answer is D.
Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Thanks for your explanation.

Just a quick question - Can you please advise that in OA WITH modifier, modifying what?

Also in OA how is AND connecting a parallel form?

Please explain.

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:31 am
Mo2men wrote:
Hi Mitch,

I eliminated E because the meaning. 'while' introduces contradiction but the meaning does not show that contradiction. So eliminate E.

is my reasoning valid?

Thanks
This line of reasoning is valid.
Generally, an introductory while-modifier must serve to express a CONTRASTING action that happens at the same time as the main action.
E: While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year, many people are now using their mobile phones to make calls.
Here, the two colored portions are not contrasting but are SIMILAR: both indicate the popularity of mobile phones.
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:44 am
Needgmat wrote:Can you please advise that in OA WITH modifier, modifying what?
I explain the purpose of the with-modifier in my second post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/on-account-o ... 80820.html
Also in OA how is AND connecting a parallel form?
OA: With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and [with] mobile phones becoming increasingly common
Here, the word in brackets is omitted but implied.
Each of the portions connected by and is composed of with + NOUN PHRASE + VERBing modifier.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Needgmat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:53 pm
OA: With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and [with] mobile phones becoming increasingly common
Here, the word in brackets is omitted but implied.
Each of the portions connected by and is composed of with + NOUN PHRASE + VERBing modifier.
Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Thanks for your explanation. All clear.

Thanks,

Kavin