Beating the GMAT (Take 2)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Beating the GMAT (Take 2)

by kdn508 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:06 pm
I'm looking for some feedback on my study plan prior to my GMAT class (Veritas) starting in March. During my 1st attempt with the GMAT I felt like I placed myself on a intense timeline without doing some solid foundational prep work, so I want to make sure its strategy that I need to worry about and not silly mistakes.

Prior to baseline MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Math
01/02/16- Baseline 470 (Q29, V27) Source:GMAT PREP
1/03/16- Error analysis Baseline
Rest of JAN/FEB 16- OG Math & Verbal book/ Kaplan GMAT Premier
Week before GMAT class take another GMAT

Goal: 700+

Thanks for your help!

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:47 pm
I'm looking for some feedback on my study plan prior to my GMAT class (Veritas) starting in March.

Prior to baseline MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Math
01/02/16- Baseline 470 (Q29, V27) Source:GMAT PREP
1/03/16- Error analysis Baseline
Rest of JAN/FEB 16- OG Math & Verbal book/ Kaplan GMAT Premier
Week before GMAT class take another GMAT
That starts off ok, and looks good up through Error Analysis Baseline.

What are you going to do with that error analysis? Just go to the OG? The OG provides some general practice and some ok but not great explanations. So by going to the OG, you are not fully taking advantage of the information provided by your practice test results.

I think you would be better off doing topic focused work, with what you work on being based on what you see in your test results.

For instance, if you missed multiple geometry questions, work on geometry. You are going to get guides along with the class, but meanwhile, you could do online searches on things like "gmat geometry". You will be sure to find some interesting blogs and other resources that way.

Then if you had trouble with CR inference questions, you could do a search on that. Look at these extensive results that include explanations and practice questions.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 0questions

Work on one topic after another. That's the way to build depth of understanding and solid skills.

For even more topic focused quant practice, use the question bank here, https://bellcurves.com. You can access it by going to the GMAT area and setting up a practice account.

By the time you get to the Veritas class you could be a in a good position to ask just the right questions and to use the class to refine what you already having going on.

Check out this blog post for more ideas on how to increase your expected score.

https://infinitemindprep.com/raising-you ... the-board/
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:28 am
Hi kdn508,

Considering some of the challenges that you faced when you studied before (back in 2014), putting an emphasis on work/steps (with the goal of eliminating silly/little mistakes) is a good idea. Many of the little mistakes that Test Takers make come from their own built-in 'biases' - how YOU mentally and physically respond to GMAT questions. If you're just going to do practice problems in the same ways that you did before, then you could very well end up embracing that same mindset as before. You also took a Veritas class the last time you studied, so you need to be careful about not falling back into old habits.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by kdn508 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:14 pm
Marty - I'm definitely going to use the error analysis to inform my focus, and thanks for those links you shared.

Rich - Hi again! 2014 was an extremely rough year professionally and personally, so that didn't help! I'm definitely going to be MUCH more methodical about my studying.

With that said, I'm hoping to complete the error analysis and and then target those week points for Jan/Feb. A benchmark before the Veritas class would make sense right?

Thanks all for your help,

Kien

by kdn508 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:14 pm
Marty - I'm definitely going to use the error analysis to inform my focus, and thanks for those links you shared.

Rich - Hi again! 2014 was an extremely rough year professionally and personally, so that didn't help! I'm definitely going to be MUCH more methodical about my studying.

With that said, I'm hoping to complete the error analysis and and then target those week points for Jan/Feb. A benchmark before the Veritas class would make sense right?

Thanks all for your help,

Kien

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:34 pm
Hi Kien,

Yes, taking another initial CAT to get a sense of your current strengths and weaknesses would be a good idea. If you want to do a bit of studying beforehand, so that you can reacquaint yourself with the basic concepts and question types, then that would be fine.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]