Baurisia

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:500

Baurisia

by Rastis » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:05 am
The country of Baurisia has until now, been self-sufficient in both grain and meat. However, with growing prosperity in Baurisia has come a steadily increasing per capita consumption of meat, and it take several pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat. Therefore, since per capita income in Baurisia is almost certain to rise further but increases in domestic grain production are highly unlikely, Baurisia is soon likely to become an importer of grain.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a) When people increase their consumption of meat, they also tend to increase their consumption of grain.

b) The per capita consumption of meat in Baurisia is roughly the same across all income levels.

c) Per capita consumption of meat has not increased substantially in recent years in those countries from which Baurisia is likely ti import meat.

d) It is more economical for Baurisians to import meat than grain.

e) During Baurisia's years of growing prosperity, the country's population has remained relatively stable.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:34 pm
Rastis wrote:The country of Baurisia has until now, been self-sufficient in both grain and meat. However, with growing prosperity in Baurisia has come a steadily increasing per capita consumption of meat, and it take several pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat. Therefore, since per capita income in Baurisia is almost certain to rise further but increases in domestic grain production are highly unlikely, Baurisia is soon likely to become an importer of grain.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a) When people increase their consumption of meat, they also tend to increase their consumption of grain.

b) The per capita consumption of meat in Baurisia is roughly the same across all income levels.

c) Per capita consumption of meat has not increased substantially in recent years in those countries from which Baurisia is likely to import meat.

d) It is more economical for Baurisians to import meat than grain.

e) During Baurisia's years of growing prosperity, the country's population has remained relatively stable.
Premise: For every pound of meat that Baurisia produces, several pounds of grain are required.
Conclusion: To satisfy the increasing demand for meat, Baurisia will soon become an importer of grain.

To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer must show why Baurisia will NOT soon become an importer of grain.
D: It is more economical for Baurisians to import meat than grain.
If importing meat is cheaper than importing grain, then Baurisia is likely to satisfy the demand for meat by becoming an importer of MEAT, weakening the conclusion that Baurisia will soon become an importer of grain.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:05 am
Hi. If you wouldn't mind, could you share your source for CR questions please?
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:500

by Rastis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:11 am
The question was taken from a GMATprep practice test