Basic doubt on the usage of with

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Basic doubt on the usage of with

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:04 am
Hi Experts,

Can you please help me to understand If and When can 'With' be used to replace 'Because' and if that brings any change in meaning?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lauramatthew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:23 am
It is very hard to find reply for your answer. Because is giving credits to someone / something. With is giving who/ what was with you when you done something.
However, in some situation, for example
I have done with him( he was there with me, when i done something)
I have done because of him( He only made me to do it)
Thus, obviously meaning changes
https://canadaessaywriting.com/

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:49 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Experts,

Can you please help me to understand If and When can 'With' be used to replace 'Because' and if that brings any change in meaning?
Do you mean "since" rather than "with"? I don't see how "with" could replace "because".

Maybe you could provide some kind of example or scenario to illustrate what you are talking about.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Followed by:3 members

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:32 am
Hi Marty,

What I meant was I remember seeing a question where the opening modifier began a dep clause with 'because' and then another option had the opening modifier beginning with 'with'.

I can't find the question now but I will look for it and share with you. Now what I want to understand is:
1. Can 'with' replace 'because' without bringing a change in the meaning? Can you show me with some examples.
2. If yes, in what scenarios are they interchangeable

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:56 pm
Ok. So while an example would be helpful, I can say without seeing one that a sentence beginning with with will have a meaning different from that of one beginning with because.

Either version could be correct though.

Here are two correct examples. Their meanings are in a way similar while definitely different.

With growth in the number of factories came increased pollution.

Because the number of factories grew, pollution increased.

The second more clearly conveys that there is a cause and effect relationship between growth in the number of factories and increased pollution.

Meanwhile, here is something to keep in mind.

There is a myth that an answer choice the use of which creates a sentence that conveys a meaning different from that of the original sentence is the wrong answer.

The truth is that meaning is a criterion for choosing between answer choices only in that one chooses between choices by considering the degrees to which their conveyed meanings make sense.

So if using an answer choice beginning with with is the way to create the version that is most effective and makes the most sense, that answer choice is the best answer.

If using a choice beginning with because works best, then that choice is the right answer.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by gocoder » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:04 am
With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

This is a wrong option from a GMAT prep question.
if this choice is rephrased like this:
With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.