B schools specializing in IT consulting

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

B schools specializing in IT consulting

by Nachiket » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:19 am
Hi All,

Can anyone provide a list of B-schools which have a focus on preparing IT business consultants ?
I am primarily looking for a B-school in USA ranked 20-40.

Thanks
Nachiket
Stay Hungry , Stay Foolish !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:50 am
Well, any B-school well-connected with Tech, or near tech regions would be great - Tepper, MIT, Haas, Stanford, UCLA even, Austin, Georgia Tech and sooo on.

Of course, you can also go to any school that is good, and still find a tech consulting job,

Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by Nachiket » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:34 am
ammanish wrote:Hey Nachiket,

The b-schools you're targeting will prepare you for the Consulting business quite well, be it Strategy, Operations, or IT Consulting.
Of course, a lot depends on your GPA, GMAT, work experience, and your story as well. What stage are you at in all these?

We have some awesome GMAT coaching, and very good Consultants to help you with your applications to these schools. Check these out at: https://www.genedmba.com/services/gmat-preparation/ and https://www.genedmba.com/testimonials/

Let us know if you need any help!
All the Best!
Hi Manish,

I have a 670 on the GMAT, 75% on an Indian undergraduate degree and 7 years of strong IT experience in diverse business domains such as Travel & tourism, Telecom and Healthcare.

I know you are trying to say that almost all schools ranked 20-40 will prepare me for a tech-consulting job but I am looking for a set of schools which is good in all respects i.e. course content, location, career opportunities. I have shortlisted the below schools based on these criteria :-

a) Fosters
b) UIUC
c) Simon
d) Smeal
e) UT-Dallas
f) University of California-"‹Irvine (Merage)
e) Cox school of business

Thoughts ?

Thanks
Nachiket

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:38 pm
If you're trying to get into consulting (any consulting) then the higher you go, the better your job prospects. Because you're not looking for an overly specialized field, I'd say go for the best possible program you can get into. Some schools that Jon mentioned are better fits than others, but that level of fit only works with similar ranked programs.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by Nachiket » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:57 am
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:If you're trying to get into consulting (any consulting) then the higher you go, the better your job prospects. Because you're not looking for an overly specialized field, I'd say go for the best possible program you can get into. Some schools that Jon mentioned are better fits than others, but that level of fit only works with similar ranked programs.

Bhavik
Hi Bhavik,

I am specifically looking to go into IT operations consulting and not just any consulting.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:17 am
Hi there - totally get that. But it isn't reallY specialized in that it isn't done by boutique houses. It's done by any large house. Which means you have to go where they recruit. Which is higher in the rankings. As I mentioned some of the programs Jon mentioned a bit better than others but if you want to go to Deloitte Tech Strategy then you need to go where Deloitte recruits. So I understand you are trying to focus your career goals but what I'm saying is it isn't that unique of a goal so brand still matters. Hope that clarifies my answer a bit!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:17 am
Hi there - totally get that. But it isn't reallY specialized in that it isn't done by boutique houses. It's done by any large house. Which means you have to go where they recruit. Which is higher in the rankings. As I mentioned some of the programs Jon mentioned a bit better than others but if you want to go to Deloitte Tech Strategy then you need to go where Deloitte recruits. So I understand you are trying to focus your career goals but what I'm saying is it isn't that unique of a goal so brand still matters. Hope that clarifies my answer a bit!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by Nachiket » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:51 am
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:Hi there - totally get that. But it isn't reallY specialized in that it isn't done by boutique houses. It's done by any large house. Which means you have to go where they recruit. Which is higher in the rankings. As I mentioned some of the programs Jon mentioned a bit better than others but if you want to go to Deloitte Tech Strategy then you need to go where Deloitte recruits. So I understand you are trying to focus your career goals but what I'm saying is it isn't that unique of a goal so brand still matters. Hope that clarifies my answer a bit!

Bhavik
Hey Bhavik,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes you are right. I have shortlisted the below schools based on class composition and companies which recruit from these schools.

Can you please provide your perspective on the below schools :-

a) Fosters
b) UIUC
c) Simon
d) Smeal
e) UT-Dallas

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:29 am
Hey there - for the most part, those programs place a significant number of students into consulting every year. But you'll want to talk to folks at these programs to figure out if PEOPLE LIKE YOU have been successful. Because that's a big, and often forgotten, part of the equation. Just because a firm recruits at a particular program doesn't necessarily mean they'll recruit you. So do a bit of legwork beyond just the placement reports!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:34 am
Hey Nachiket,

Good to get that info, and encouraging to see you've already done some groundwork.

These schools will likely get you what you want, and on a first look, they seem quite within reach as well. We've worked with numerous Indian candidates with profiles similar to yours and have been able to get them great admits.
I might also want to add that there is room to add 1-2 other, higher ranked schools which will provide better recruiting, career, and overall experience.

Overall, I am quite positive with the list that you've given. The R2 deadlines are almost upon us though, so a word of advice would be to start early and work well on your essays.

Get in touch if you need help, and we can discuss the strategy and way forward in detail!

All the Best!
Nachiket wrote:

The b-schools you're targeting will prepare you for the Consulting business quite well, be it Strategy, Operations, or IT Consulting.
Of course, a lot depends on your GPA, GMAT, work experience, and your story as well. What stage are you at in all these?

We have some awesome GMAT coaching, and very good Consultants to help you with your applications to these schools. Check these out at: https://www.genedmba.com/services/gmat-preparation/ and https://www.genedmba.com/testimonials/

All the Best!
Hi Manish,

I have a 670 on the GMAT, 75% on an Indian undergraduate degree and 7 years of strong IT experience in diverse business domains such as Travel & tourism, Telecom and Healthcare.

I know you are trying to say that almost all schools ranked 20-40 will prepare me for a tech-consulting job but I am looking for a set of schools which is good in all respects i.e. course content, location, career opportunities. I have shortlisted the below schools based on these criteria :-

a) Fosters
b) UIUC
c) Simon
d) Smeal
e) UT-Dallas

Thoughts ?

Thanks
Nachiket
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

by Nachiket » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:53 am

Good to get that info, and encouraging to see you've already done some groundwork.

These schools will likely get you what you want, and on a first look, they seem quite within reach as well. We've worked with numerous Indian candidates with profiles similar to yours and have been able to get them great admits.
I might also want to add that there is room to add 1-2 other, higher ranked schools which will provide better recruiting, career, and overall experience.

Overall, I am quite positive with the list that you've given. The R2 deadlines are almost upon us though, so a word of advice would be to start early and work well on your essays.

Get in touch if you need help, and we can discuss the strategy and way forward in detail!

All the Best!
Nachiket wrote:

All the Best!
Hi Manish,

a) Fosters
b) UIUC
c) Simon
d) Smeal
e) UT-Dallas

Thoughts ?

Thanks
Nachiket
Hi Manish,

Thanks for your feedback !! Really helpful !!

Can you pls. suggest 2 higher ranked schools that you consider fit for my profile ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:51 pm
Just about every business school in the top fifty will prepare you well for a career in IT consulting. You should have no trouble finding a job after school either. Good luck on the search.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by PassEdge » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:37 pm
You probably want to go to a school in either the Silicon Valley or NYC, those are the two largest tech scenes and finding internships there would be easy.