assumption

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

assumption

by YellowSapphire » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:50 am
Source: Veritas Prep CR2
84. It is said that people should accept themselves as they are instead of being dissatisfied with their own abilities. But this is clearly a bad principle if the goal is a society whose citizens are genuinely happy, for no one can be genuinely happy if he or she is not pursuing personal excellence and is unwilling to undergo personal change of any kind.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?

A: Those who are willing to change will probably find genuine happiness.
B: People who are not dissatisfied with themselves are less likely than others to pursue personal excellence.
C: Personal excellence cannot be acquired by those who lack genuine confidence in their own abilities.
D: People are justified in feeling content with themselves when have achieved some degree of personal excellence.
E: Happiness is not genuine unless it is based is on something that is painful to obtain.

OA: B
Last edited by YellowSapphire on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yellow Sapphire

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:21 am
Is it C? Tough one
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

by krazy800 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 am
YellowSapphire wrote:Source: Veritas Prep CR2
84. It is said that people should accept themselves as they are instead of being dissatisfied with their own abilities. But this is clearly a bad principle if the goal is a society whose citizens are genuinely happy if he or she is not pursuing personal excellence and is unwilling to undergo personal change of any kind.

B: People who are not dissatisfied with themselves are less likely than others to pursue personal excellence.
C: Personal excellence cannot be acquired by those who lack genuine confidence in their own abilities.
D: People are justified in feeling content with themselves when have achieved some degree of personal excellence.
E: Happiness is not genuine unless it is based is on something that is painful to obtain.
IMO B

negate B and the conclusion fall apart.
Aiming High

by YellowSapphire » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:00 am
I can't any explanation in above post.
Yellow Sapphire

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:27 am
84. It is said that people should accept themselves as they are instead of being dissatisfied with their own abilities. But this is clearly a bad principle if the goal is a society whose citizens are genuinely happy if he or she is not pursuing personal excellence and is unwilling to undergo personal change of any kind.

tough one....again... :(
D is my choice....

i understand the CR saying that if people accept themselves was the way they are , and dont care of ability or lacking of ability>>> they are happy
and this is a BAD principle in society with the goal what means that people just happy when they dont pursue anything

its so tough.... do you have answer and its explanaton?

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by mj78ind » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Assumption = unstated premise.

Pre phrase - acceptance is bad as such people will not improve. Why? Because they will be satisfied and thus will not strive to improve.

Look at choices:
A - off topic
B - the key here is not dissatisfied double negative or = satisfied that is what was prephrased
C, D and E - off topic

Negate B:
People who are not dissatisfied with themselves are more likely than others to pursue personal excellence =
People who are satisfied with themselves are more likely than others to pursue personal excellence

It breaks the argument.

Hence B

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:06 pm
Agree with B. It is convoluted, but the others are simply off course.
Tani Wolff

by YellowSapphire » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:58 pm
I got it.

SAME AS

B: People who are satisfied with themselves are less likely than others to pursue personal excellence.
Yellow Sapphire

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:27 pm
IMO - B

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:31 am
Can others tell me the time they took to get to the answer even in case they were wrong

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gtr02 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:22 pm
my internal clock told me to guess as i went pass 2 mins, my guess was choice (D) at 2:26... :(

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:58 pm
gtr02 wrote:my internal clock told me to guess as i went pass 2 mins, my guess was choice (D) at 2:26... :(
Thats Good
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:16 am
Can someone break the premise and conclusion and explain please. I don't get the argument clearly? what he or she refers to here ? people of society ? :(
expert please.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:26 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote:Can someone break the premise and conclusion and explain please. I don't get the argument clearly? what he or she refers to here ? people of society ? :(
expert please.
Evidence 1:It is said that people should accept themselves as they are instead of being dissatisfied with their own abilities.
Evidence 2: this is clearly a bad principle if the goal is a society whose citizens are genuinely happy if he or she is not pursuing personal excellence and is unwilling to undergo personal change of any kind.

Conclusion:People should not accept themselves as they are if the goal is a society that is genuinely happy

Asssumption 1:If people accept themselves as they are instead of being dissatisfied with their own abilities , then are they r not genuinely happy
This means:
If people have to be genuinely happy then they should not accept themselves as they are instead of being dissatisfied with their own abilities

Assumption2:If people accept themselves as they are instead of being dissatisfied with their own abilities he or she is not pursuing personal excellence and is unwilling to undergo personal change of any kind

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:30 am
B is a Paraphrase of assumption 2 in my Previous Post