Ask MBA Crystal Ball

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kashif raza » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 am
I want to get selected in any of these 1 year MBA programs of India: IIM A,B,C,L,I, XLRI, SP Jain or MDI.

I am working in Reliance group (of Mukesh Ambani) for 10 years in construction as a civil engineer. I was a part of team working on phase 2 of their world's largest refinery (worth Rs 50,000 crores at that time) at Jamnagar, Gujarat from 2007-2009. Other project on which i have worked is DMD Expansion Project (Petrochemical plant) at Dahej, Gujarat worth Rs 15,000 crores. Now, i am working in IDY & CFDV projects in Patalganga, Maharashtra. Company's name is Reliance Corporate IT Park Limited. However, i have progressed only one time in Reliance & that was from GET to Manager in 2008.

Earlier, i have worked in Grasim Industries - Cement Division (a company of Aditya Birla Group) for 1.5 years in cement techno marketing. Before that i was in ICT Pvt. Ltd. in pavement designing.

As for my education background:
B. Tech (Civil Engg.) - 7.77/10 CPI from Aligarh Muslim University
12th - 60.8% (AMU)
10th - 81% (St Thomas, ICSE board)

Kindly, tell what GMAT score should i target and what minimum score can get me into any of the above mentioned programs?
Also, who are the best admission consultants for these Indian programs?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

MBA in China

by MBACrystalBall » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:36 am
Best MBA programs in China

Seven universities, in China, are considered among the top 150 in the world, with four in the top 50, according to the QS World University Rankings.

Read more here --> Best MBA programs in China

Also read --> 16 things every CEIBS MBA applicant should know

Also watch: Indian School of Business ISB Video
Last edited by MBACrystalBall on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watch these MBA videos

Sameer Kamat, Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Careerizma
Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Must read for MBA aspirants
1. Beyond The MBA Hype | 2. Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild

Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 am
kashif raza wrote:I want to get selected in any of these 1 year MBA programs of India: IIM A,B,C,L,I, XLRI, SP Jain or MDI.

<<snip>>

Kindly, tell what GMAT score should i target and what minimum score can get me into any of the above mentioned programs?
Also, who are the best admission consultants for these Indian programs?

Seems we missed responding to this one Kashif.

For what it might be worth, a quick one on this. Do feel free to post for further queries.

There is no magic GMAT number (read here). Even so, aim to be at least at, if not above the target school's average. Before seeking beyond A, B and C, also consider ISB in your selection set.

In terms of admissions consultant, we've tried to objectively compare here.
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Ask MBA Crystal Ball

by MBACrystalBall » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:19 am
Studying in India vs Studying Abroad: Differences

"Studying here empowers you to be independent and teaches you to stop at nothing. It also provides you the means and ways to achieve your dreams", says this University of South Florida student.

In this article, he highlights the differences, challenges and opportunities based on his experiences as a student in India and USA. Read more...

And here's an ApplicantLab Promo Code if you prefer self-help for your applications.
Last edited by MBACrystalBall on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watch these MBA videos

TTT

by Mroy1202 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 pm
Hi MBAcrystalball,

I would be greatly indebted to you if you could do a profile evaluation for me and help me in deciding whether I can realistically apply to any of the top B schools for Fall 2019 -
I am planning to appear for GMAT August 2018 so that I can be eligible for the 2019 fall semester. I am planning to appear in August to be in time for early applications.
These are my profile details:

-24 year old Female Engineer from India
-GPA 7.9/10 in ECE from Manipal. Have a good background in extra curriculars during my graduation ranging from artistic ventures to representing the university nationally.
- Currently working for one of the biggest banks in USA as a data analyst in India. Have participated in some CSR initiatives during my work here.
-Current work ex - 21 months, will be 25 months at the time of taking the GMAT, will be close to 3 years at the time of admission ( fall 2019 )
- Expected GMAT Score - 730-740 ( thats the maximum, i hope not to go below a 720 )
-My expectation is to get into a top B-school in Marketing that allows me to stay back and work there permanently, so the immigration policies for internationsl students and work opportunities post MBA geographically are also very important.
Do I have a shot at good B-Schools with this little work experience and my GPA? Or should I be waiting another year?

Thanks in Advance!

Megha

by mcbMcK » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:57 pm
Mroy1202 wrote:Hi MBAcrystalball,

I would be greatly indebted to you if you could do a profile evaluation for me and help me in deciding whether I can realistically apply to any of the top B schools for Fall 2019 -
I am planning to appear for GMAT August 2018 so that I can be eligible for the 2019 fall semester. I am planning to appear in August to be in time for early applications.
These are my profile details:

-24 year old Female Engineer from India

<<snip>>

Do I have a shot at good B-Schools with this little work experience and my GPA? Or should I be waiting another year?

Thanks in Advance!

Megha

Consider the following points Megha:

- While the designation is ok, it will be important to understand the actual nature of your work as well as achievements, if any. Those, plus the employer's brand name, would really define the merits of your professional experience.

- Though you seem to know it, but most good schools expect 4-5 years of solid experience. So unless you can showcase a lot of differentiation in the limited time you've been at work, the more prudent thing would be to wait another year, build the profile and then apply. If that makes sense, you may want to explore this.

- The post here may help on MBA in Marketing. However, do bear in mind that core marketing roles are pretty tough to break into for international MBA grads even after a top tier program. So make sure you have thought this through well.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:13 pm
Hi Sameer/MG,
Do you provide any Analysis/assistance for the Essays for Ivey (Canada) and ESMT Berlin ?

It'd be great if you can get me any feedback on how to write the following two Essays from these two b-schools :

1. Ivey (Canada) : What is the most important issue that you've ever changed your mind about? (250 word limit)

2. ESMT Berlin : Imagine you have just finished your MBA. You have two months until your next career adventure is due to start and have decided to go on a cross-country automobile trip. You can afford to invite two fellow travelers. Who (can be people alive or historical figures) would you take with you and why? (1500 characters maximum)

BOTH the essays appear to be pretty unique.

Would much appreciate any feedback on them. . .Thanks in advance for your valuable time!

by mcbMcK » Sun May 13, 2018 1:08 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Sameer/MG,
Do you provide any Analysis/assistance for the Essays for Ivey (Canada) and ESMT Berlin ?

It'd be great if you can get me any feedback on how to write the following two Essays from these two b-schools :

<<snip>>

Would much appreciate any feedback on them. . .Thanks in advance for your valuable time!

Thanks for your note. I see that you've already had suggestions on the intent of the essays which make sense. What to actually write really depends on a detailed understanding of your profile, your personality and details therein. Not something one can generalize about am afraid. Like for most other things in your MBA applications, there isn't a cookie cutter response to this am afraid. Hope that makes sense.

by arnabm2007 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:54 pm
Hi.

I was interested in MBA.

worked 4 years power industry.
worked 3 years amazon operations.
had my own start up (2011- 2015)
GMAT 720 (took it back in 2014 with an initial intent to join in 2015 but got rejected).

Interested in Singapore and Hong Kong.

Please help !

by mcbMcK » Sun May 20, 2018 9:10 pm
arnabm2007 wrote:Hi.

I was interested in MBA.

worked 4 years power industry.
worked 3 years amazon operations.
had my own start up (2011- 2015)
GMAT 720 (took it back in 2014 with an initial intent to join in 2015 but got rejected).

Interested in Singapore and Hong Kong.

Please help !

Thanks for the note arnabm2007. However, we'd need a lot of details to do a better profile evaluation. Some of those being - which year did you graduate in; brand of your undergrad; current employment status; achievements; ECs etc.

So do share.

by arnabm2007 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:17 pm
Thanks for the question.
NIT Warangal 2011 batch EEE GPA 8.64/10
NTPC 2011-15
Amazon 2015-18
My own start up 2011-15
Authored and published a couple of books back in 2011.
Blogger

by mcbMcK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:35 pm
arnabm2007 wrote:Thanks for the question.
NIT Warangal 2011 batch EEE GPA 8.64/10
NTPC 2011-15
Amazon 2015-18
My own start up 2011-15
Authored and published a couple of books back in 2011.
Blogger

The profile contours look interesting indeed in terms of the brands you have been associated with. I presume the startup was in parallel to your work profile? Have you quit Amazon or still there?

Do share the nature of work as well as achievements/accomplishments.

While your GMAT sounds fair, it might be worth another shot. The books sound good but a bit far back in time. How active it the blogging bit?

MBA Crystal Ball

by MBACrystalBall » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 am
MBA Rankings

Use this as the reference page to start your MBA program research.

We've listed the top ranking MBA programs across countries and regions - USA, Europe (UK), India, Canada, Australia...as ranked by Financial Times, Economis, QS.

Read more...MBA Rankings

Also check this out: Reviews of ApplicantLab, MBA Crystal Ball, others
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:05 pm
How to write MBA essays

Admissions committee officers are on the lookout for the best possible candidate profiles. They want to see how you can add value not only to yourself but to their MBA class as well. Your essays can play a vital role in communicating to the admissions committee why they should consider you over thousands of other applicants.

Read more on how to write MBA essays.
Watch these MBA videos