Ask MBA Crystal Ball

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 am
Ramneet Singh wrote:I forgot to remove a bschool's name from an app for duke . I hit myself in the foot . I didnt even copy the whole essay.I just copied a very generic and cliched line about contributing to the bschool;something that most bschool apps have in common.
Will such an error at a single place be forgiven ? Is that a deal Breaker ? Coincidentally I worked the hardest on my Duke essays .
I think u can write to the adcom ASAP - I've heard they can make changes to the app before anyone reads it -"officially". Sameer sir can confirm it ?
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Ramneet Singh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:02 am
bblast wrote:
Ramneet Singh wrote:I forgot to remove a bschool's name from an app for duke . I hit myself in the foot . I didnt even copy the whole essay.I just copied a very generic and cliched line about contributing to the bschool;something that most bschool apps have in common.
Will such an error at a single place be forgiven ? Is that a deal Breaker ? Coincidentally I worked the hardest on my Duke essays .
I think u can write to the adcom ASAP - I've heard they can make changes to the app before anyone reads it -"officially". Sameer sir can confirm it ?
That s 1 line in a 1000 word essay . What do I tell them ? I am sure they havnt read it yet.

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:36 am
Ramneet Singh wrote:
bblast wrote:
That s 1 line in a 1000 word essay . What do I tell them ? I am sure they havnt read it yet.
I am not sure about this but I've been writing bschool apps for 2 years :/. I am sure there is a way out of this{have read about changes in submitted apps often}. I think the best way is to mail the adcom that u made a mistake in ESSAY-X. And then see what they suggest. They may suggest u to resend the essay and then no-1 would even know of the blunder !!
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

by Ramneet Singh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:40 am
bblast wrote:
Ramneet Singh wrote:
bblast wrote:
I am not sure about this but I've been writing bschool apps for 2 years :/. I am sure there is a way out of this{have read about changes in submitted apps often}. I think the best way is to mail the adcom that u made a mistake in ESSAY-X. And then see what they suggest. They may suggest u to resend the essay and then no-1 would even know of the blunder !!
I heard you are going to kelly or rotman . any luck elsewhere

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by MBACrystalBall » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 am
Teaching jobs and education careers in India

Teaching jobs and careers in the education sector generally don't get the limelight they deserve. Snehal Divekar has been a teacher for over 13 years and is currently on a sabbatical. She worked as an Assistant Professor in the IT department of an engineering college affiliated to the University of Mumbai.

In this article, she talks about teaching jobs and careers in the education field, the pros and cons, average salary ranges and other aspects. For those who are tired of competing in the rat race, here are a few meaningful options for you to consider...Read more
Watch these MBA videos

Sameer Kamat, Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Careerizma
Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Must read for MBA aspirants
1. Beyond The MBA Hype | 2. Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild

by MBACrystalBall » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:11 am
Ramneet Singh wrote:
bblast wrote:
Ramneet bhai,

Immediately after the submission deadline, the workload and the stress levels of the admissions team are at their peak. Sending them requests means you are adding to their woes. So unless there's a genuine reason for them to break their normal set of planned activities to accomodate your request, it may not be a good idea to approach them.

In fact, just a few days back, another BTG member (hallo sirji, if you are reading this) had a situation where a substantial chunk of critical data was missed out. For his unique situation, I recommended that he get in touch with the admission team and request them to include it. And they did, after specifically pointing out that they are 'strict about not allowing any changes after the deadline, but this request was being considered as an exception'.

In your situation, it's not just about the name change. The bigger issue would remain - a generic bschool contribution statement which does not take the application ahead (irrespective of the school name that's in there). So after approaching them, if they still see major flaws in the flow, then you've only drawn their attention to a bigger issue.

So in that situation, rather than get the little slip-up under a magnifying lens (when their frame of mind isn't exactly conducive to forgive and forget), I'd just sit back and wait for them to evaluate the application in its entirety. Hopefully they'll be impressed with the remaining 999 lines (as you have worked on them the hardest) and ignore the little faux pas in there.

When folks have come to us for interview prep help, sometimes we are surprised to see some glaring mistakes in their applications, being ignored by the adcoms who probably felt that the candidate had a lot to bring to their program.

Just ensure that it doesn't happen with the other apps, if there are any more left.

Fingers crossed for you, bro.
Watch these MBA videos

by Ramneet Singh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 am
Hi Sameer ,
I wasn't expecting that you would advise me to stay put . i have already shot off a mail to them .The app process is getting on my nerves.

by MBACrystalBall » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:49 am
Ramneet Singh wrote:Hi Sameer ,
I wasn't expecting that you would advise me to stay put . i have already shot off a mail to them .The app process is getting on my nerves.
Fikar not, sir. Bhej diya toh bhej diya.

Just keep a tab on the nerves from this point on. No last minute knee-jerk reactions that'll give the impression that things are getting out of hand or worse, were never in control.

As you've mentioned, you have done a good job with the rest of the application. So keep the faith.
Watch these MBA videos

by Ramneet Singh » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 am
MBACrystalBall wrote:
Ramneet Singh wrote:Hi Sameer ,
Fikar not, sir. Bhej diya toh bhej diya.

Just keep a tab on the nerves from this point on. No last minute knee-jerk reactions that'll give the impression that things are getting out of hand or worse, were never in control.

As you've mentioned, you have done a good job with the rest of the application. So keep the faith.
I was just listening to the Frustration R Song.Thanks for the help

by MBACrystalBall » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:18 pm
How to write a good resume

What's the best way to form a great first impression on an influential decision maker? Create an impactful curriculum vitae (CV). This applies to almost all situations where a resume will be used as one of the tools to filter a huge list of candidates. Whether you are creating an MBA resume format for Bschool applications or creating a CV for internships or jobs, there are a few basic things you can keep in mind to maximise the impact.

Let's cover that in 3 stages: First we look at the process that a majority of applicants generally follow, then we change perspectives and look at the process that a reviewer is likely to follow. Once we have contrasted the two, the disconnect is easier to locate. Based on that you'd know what you should or should not be doing when you are creating your resume....Read More
Watch these MBA videos

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tanyaindia » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 am
ERROR IN HBS APP

Dear all

I need some advice for a make-or-break situation.

There is an error/inconsistency in my app.

I was basically selected for something big, and was one amongst only 20 selected out of around 1500 employees. I've stated this correctly under achievements. In my resume however i have stated it as one amongst 20 selected out of around 1000. 1500 is actually correct, 1000 is an oversight. But seeing two diff nos might get ad com thinking I've tried to cook up data etc, whereas it is a genuine careless mistake.

Should I write to adcom and clarify that it is just a careless mistake? I can get an official mail from my org to substantiate that 1500 is correct.

Please do share your views. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

by MBACrystalBall » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 am
How to network and build relationships for corporate success

If you learn how to build and nurture relationships in the corporate world, you can get a lot accomplished that your purely technically focussed colleagues would never be able to match. Get this apsect right and it'll be worth more than all the technical skills you've picked up in your undergrad and MBA classrooms.

Ipseeta Aruni is a graduate of the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee with a keen interest in the arena of soft skills in business. If you stare hard enough, you might also see a highly talented hip-hop dancer who can amaze you with her electrifying moves on the dance floor. For now, she shares a few easier moves that you could practice in your career and take it on accelerated growth path...without an MBA...Read More
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:23 am
tanyaindia wrote:ERROR IN HBS APP

Dear all

I need some advice for a make-or-break situation.

There is an error/inconsistency in my app.

I was basically selected for something big, and was one amongst only 20 selected out of around 1500 employees. I've stated this correctly under achievements. In my resume however i have stated it as one amongst 20 selected out of around 1000. 1500 is actually correct, 1000 is an oversight. But seeing two diff nos might get ad com thinking I've tried to cook up data etc, whereas it is a genuine careless mistake.

Should I write to adcom and clarify that it is just a careless mistake? I can get an official mail from my org to substantiate that 1500 is correct.

Please do share your views. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Tanya, going with the rationale that I described in an earlier response, I'd say this is one of those hygiene issues which should've been caught in the review phase (i.e. before submission).

Is it a critical problem? I don't think so. If the scale and contrast had been hugely different (e.g. you typed 1,000 in one place and 15,000), I'd have thought twice. For now, it probably something that'll make the review go, 'Hmm...disconnect here' and then move on to the more interesting parts.

In the worst case, it may come up in the interview. But for schools like Harvard, I don't think their green or red signal decisions are completely based on one or two slip-of-the-finger (if there is such a think) mistakes. So, like in Ramneet's case, I hope the rest of your application makes them forget this little inconsistency.
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:52 pm
MBA Essay Tips: Dealing with silly mistakes after submitting applications

Hope you never have to experience how frustrating it can be. After spending days on your MBA essays and ensuring all the answers to the why mba, why now, why this bschool have been addressed, you hit the 'Submit Application' button. And suddenly it feels like a big load has been taken off the shoulders.

But then something draws you back to the MS Word document that you had used to prepare the drafts. Maybe it's the desire to go back and appreciate the wonderful product that you've created. 'I'd love to be part of the vibrant Kellogg community...'. Just a little problem, though. The application that you just submitted was for London Business School...Read More
Watch these MBA videos

by MBACrystalBall » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:34 pm
JD-MBA Program - Kellogg School of Management : Dual degree FAQ

Dual degrees like the JD-MBA offered by the Kellogg School of Management and Northwestern University's School of Law can be a great way to learn about two disciplines that have more overlap that we generally assume. However, compared to the regular 2-year MBA programs, these longer and more expensive joint degree options can seem more mysterious than they are. Apart from the data available on the school websites, there's not much information about JD-MBA programs.

Jeremy Wilson had a very eclectic background - engineering, politics, consulting, startups, archaeology - before he decided to attend the JD-MBA program at Kellogg. In this interview he answers many of the frequently asked questions about the program...Read More
Last edited by MBACrystalBall on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watch these MBA videos