Economist Test Prep

Ask Aringo - if your GMAT is below 720

This topic has 114 expert replies and 223 member replies
Goto page Previous Next

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:38 am
boomshakalaka wrote:
Hi people from Aringo,

Thank you so much for taking out the time to evaluate my profile. I am applying to schools in R2 this cycle. My credentials are:

Nationality : Indian

Academics :
Xth - 83%
XIIth - 87%
Graduation : Chemical engineer from IIT Delhi (Consistently ranked among the top 2 engineering universities in India)
CGPA - 6.5/10

GMAT - 700 - bad experience ( Planning a retake and expect to score around 730)

Work experience :

Total 50 months (in chronological order)

* 1 year 8 months as a Proprietary trader at one of the largest prop trading firms in India. Not very famous outside India though.
* 2 years 2 months as cofounder of an educational startup that grew to 60,000 monthly users. Did not not raise venture funding. The startup has been closed.
* 2 months as a Product Manager at one of India's hottest startup - Series C funded (more than $50 million in bank)
* Managing director of family investment firm for the past 6 months. This is part-time so don't really know how much it counts.

Extra Curriculars :

* Director of a family run Non Profit organisation that is working towards the prevention and eradication of Encephalitis. It's a small organisation currently and work has been limited to 3 districts in India.
* Captain of hostel soccer team.

International Exposure:

3 months as an International Research scholar at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Activities & Interest:

* Traveling : Have traveled to more than 10 countries. Into exploring cultures and understanding the values and traditions of people living in different parts of our beautiful planet.
* Soccer.

Post MBA goal - Product Management at an established technology company or a high growth startup so that I can learn valuable skills I am currently lacking, and which along with the lessons from my previous startup enable me to create an organisation that significantly improves the lives of people involved. Product Management is a very new role in India (very few startups have it) and even in US it's been less than 15 years since such a role was created. It's like a mini CEO for products and one of the most sought after roles currently in Silicon Valley. My two years of startup experience prepare me well for such a role.

5-7 year goal : Disrupting education/ healthcare by building a technology organisation that creates value for people around the world - I know this is very generic, but would love to have a conversation and go deep into this.

My target schools are - Berkeley, Kellogg, UCLA and Yale.

My main considerations are - Location (Silicon Valley) and placement in technology companies. I plant to apply in R2 2015-2016.

I would love to know your view on my profile, preferably the weaker points and things that can be done to mitigate the weakness in my profile.

Again, thank you for doing this.
Hi, Boomshakalaka,

You’ve got a very interesting profile, you clearly know what you want, and your goals are well based in your past experience.
There are a few questions raised:
1) Why the degree in chemical engineering? You don’t seem to have done anything with it. Did it take 3-4 years to figure out you didn’t want to be an engineer? Couldn’t switch tracks mid stream?
2) I’m interested how you then went into trading… and then in less than 2 years decided that wasn’t for you either.
3) Once we get to the co-founder role, we seem to be in business . From there on, you are fine, so you need to just find the story that explains the earlier dabbling and trying to find yourself.
4) Play up the family business angle - always good to know you have something to fall back on. Also play up leadership experience - in the startup, volunteering, soccer - wherever we can find it.
5) I like the short term goal of PM, as a way to prepare for starting your own company - love the story of how you failed, and learned, and will do it right the next time - excellent.
6) Good choice of schools.
7) Definitely study and retake the GMAT.

So in conclusion, you’ve got a very good shot - need to create a cohesive story, show us you really know what you want to do this time, and prove to us you have the passion and commitment to succeed in your goals.

Good luck!!

Joy

--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs
Aringo.com" target="_blank">

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:44 am
Dear all,
Wanted to share with you a short interview we had with a Sloan MBA graduate:

What is special about your school? In your eyes, what differentiates your school from others?

• The spirit of MIT - the university has a soul, and for me that was the most amazing thing.
• Focus on entrepreneurship, being a hub of innovation and out-of-the-box thinking not only from the MBA classmates but also the brilliant minds from the engineering schools.
• No peer pressure to join stereotypical MBA jobs like consulting or ibanking, a lot of new ideas and pursuits are encouraged.
• Focus on team work.
• Tolerance for failure

Any recent changes in your school? or in the admission process?

Introduction of the optional/video essay. I would recommend attempting the video essay if possible because it gives an opportunity to showcase something very different about the candidate, and create an informal setting to learn more about who you really are. It reflects the spirit and energy of the school as well.

Can you share some details about the atmosphere in the school? between students, between students and faculty? How do you spend your free time?

• There is a palpable sense of mutual respect and admiration amongst all students, no one is ranked or called out for either being from a wealthy background or having certain brands on their resume. The students love the way in which selection process happens and assume there must be something wonderful about everyone who is there
• We love working on C Functions, which are the most amazing thing ever. Alternate Thursdays, one of the cultural clubs organizes a show in which classmates from different cultural backgrounds come together to immerse themselves in the culture of a region, dance, sing, eat. Sloan sponsors beer, which is awesome. It’s a great avenue to bond.
Sloan is not transactional. There is no fee for every mixer or interaction, a lot of things are school sponsored and encourage everyone to come out and get to know each other and do stuff together.
• Faculty is all about high thinking. Focus is on bringing out the essence of a concept, encourage open debate and discussion, provide a spectrum of perspectives. Assignments and learning are for the most part meaningful and relevant. If you don’t like a class, you can opt out late into the semester and it won’t reflect on your academic record which is just wonderful.

Can you share some details about the area/city?

Cambridge is a university town. Lots of brilliant young minds, the vibe is very young, entrepreneurial, energetic and optimistic. Accommodation is expensive but unaffordable.
Boston/Cambridge has a nice cultural vibe. Lots of art events to attend, very pro-diversity and liberal.
Winters are cold and snowed under but its not windy like Chicago so its quite beautiful if you ask me.

Can you share some details regarding job opportunities and summer internships for students in your school? How strong is the career office? Did the school name/brand give you any advantage when looking for a job? Are there any specific recruiters who mostly recruit from this school?

Saying you are from MIT or MIT Sloan opens almost every door. Its really upto how focused, proactive and determined you are.
The Career Office is very good when it comes to consulting, finance, tech and increasingly marketing jobs. They organize a lot of workshops, coaching sessions etc. Very helpful.
Career office not that great in traditionally non-MBA sectors like media entertainment, fashion, etc.
There are some opportunities to get part-funding for doing social impact internships, but not as much as some other peer schools.
McKinsey, BCG, Bain, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Genentech, Deloitte, J P Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Citi, love Sloan, there’s definitely a few more that I’m missing.

How did you deal with the Visa issue?

MIT International Students Office is wonderful. They made the process really easy, offered a lot of guidance and I never really felt I was going to a new country. It was a breeze. I took a ton of documents to my visa interview, all that the guy asked me was where I was planning to go to school, I said ‘MIT’ and he just instantly approved it.

What did you like about the school/program?

A lot of things that I have mentioned earlier. Just to be fair, there are things I think need to improve - the school underplays its branding and marketing a lot, either due to lack of resources or just the tech-focused culture where they downplay the glamor. So the sessions by the Admissions Office are not particularly impressive, and they don’t do a lot of sessions internationally, but if you can live with that then you are in for a rollercoaster ride that you will be glad you took.
Sloan should try and offer more scholarships and loan-forgiveness opportunities for sure, I got lucky and became a Siebel Scholar and they have amazing TA/RA opportunities but it is still relatively small in terms of the number of students it can impact

Who will especially enjoy this school? who will be a good fit to the school?

Someone who is liberal, looking for a genuinely engaging experience versus just doing bschool as a resume check point. Someone with an inquisite mind and proactive nature and doesn’t expect to be spoon fed or handheld all the time.
Folks with a passion for innovation, entrepreneurship and technology will do very well here. Those who need structures not so well.

Any tips for someone who is considering applying to your school?

• It is particularly important to be yourself in the Sloan application, they are not impressed by arrogance or make-believe.
• Highlight what you are passionate about in life and what makes you who you are.
• Show a clear passion for the school, do a lot of research in detail about courses and activities that would benefit you
• Understand what the Sloan mission is all about, they really believe in it, and mean it. The focus on ethics, diversity and advancement of management principles is very deeply ingrained in the school.
• Higher analytical ability, passion for data, technology, new and efficient way of doing things, challenging status quo are all great things to have for Sloan.

Aringo.com" target="_blank">

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:34 pm
Hi everyone,
We are continuing to work through the holidays to help meet your application deadlines and answer your questions. Need last minute admissions help? Don't hesitate to contact us!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:59 pm
FYI - 1st MBA rankings of 2016 have been published -
Financial Times global MBA rankings 2016
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2016

1. INSEAD
2. HBS
3. LBS
4. Wharton
5. Stanford
6. Columbia
7. Berkeley Haas
8. Chicago Booth
9. MIT Sloan
10. Cambridge Judge
11. Kellogg
12. IE
13. IMD
14. HKUST
15. HEC Paris

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:20 am
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to recommend this interesting article on FT.com regarding MBA costs and value-for-money, with a comparison between USA and Europe: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/f6696828-be05-11e5-846f-79b0e3d20eaf.html#axzz40JPe648P

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:09 am
US News published updated US business schools rankings yesterday:
1. Harvard
2&3. Stanford, Chicago Booth
4. Wharton
5&6. MIT Sloan, Kellogg
7. Berkeley Haas
8&9. Tuck, Yale
10. Columbia
11. Darden
12&13. Duke, Michigan
14. Cornell
15. UCLA

Gaurav_gupta8 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
4 messages
Post Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:42 am
Hi Aringo,

I will be giving GMAT by Nov end.

Earlier,I got the GMAT score of 640.

With 5.6 Years of Work Experience in Finance domain in companies like EY,Genpact India and XL Catlin,Do I stand a good chance of getting into Sauder,Canada or Schulich,Canada in case I end up with a score of around 650-660.

Academics :

MBA -Finance & Marketing (6.8 CGPA)
B.Tech - 7.2 CGPA

The reason of going for a second MBA is that I am more interested in Consulting in Finance domain and second MBA can help me in achieving the same.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:32 am
Gaurav_gupta8 wrote:
Hi Aringo,

I will be giving GMAT by Nov end.

Earlier,I got the GMAT score of 640.

With 5.6 Years of Work Experience in Finance domain in companies like EY,Genpact India and XL Catlin,Do I stand a good chance of getting into Sauder,Canada or Schulich,Canada in case I end up with a score of around 650-660.

Academics :

MBA -Finance & Marketing (6.8 CGPA)
B.Tech - 7.2 CGPA

The reason of going for a second MBA is that I am more interested in Consulting in Finance domain and second MBA can help me in achieving the same.
It’s hard to know for sure, as I am missing some details from your profile but I would say that you have a chance if you get a result in the upper range of what you mentioned, if everything else in your profile looks good. (You can see all the factors that are likely to play a part here: https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/)

If you would want us to do a more comprehensive profile review where we look at your entire profile you are welcome to fill in the form for a free profile evaluation on ARINGO’s website.

I am sure that you know that as an Indian applicant you will be compared to other Indian applicants, many of whom have very high GMAT scores so if you do indeed get a 660, it is vital that you find something that helps you stand out from the crowd in your profile as a whole and don’t just rely on the score itself as that will most likely not be what gets you in.

Good luck!

nameisashish Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
9 messages
Post Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:47 pm
Hi,

Appreciate if you could please comment on my chances

a) I am 33 years old Aussie with 10 years of management/technology consulting experience(already an MBA,did 10 years ago). Have strong reasons for doing MBA again.

b) Have 8 years of international work ex in leadership positions in US, Europe, Australia, NZ, India, India,APAC.
c) Good extra curriculars with volunteering experience of 10 years internatioanlly.. Also travel,cooking and diverse experience
d) Sound career goals to change function from consulting to Industry in same industry(technology)
e) 5 promotions with strong career growth and good resume
f) Recommendations from current and previous supervisor
g) GMAT of 710 (Q 78% V 85%)
h) Have worked 4 months on getting good stories built in essays

I am looking to work in US or Europe ,so changing the geography is also the motivation.

I am thinking of applying for

LBS, INSEAD, Kellogg( 1 year), MIT, IMD programs

Please comment on my chances for this college, already spoken to them about my age and they all said age is not the restriction provided I have good career goals and reasons to do MBA again. Well I cant take theie word as it is but at the moment that is the only guideline I have.

Thanks for your help !

Cheers!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:03 pm
nameisashish wrote:
Hi,

Appreciate if you could please comment on my chances

a) I am 33 years old Aussie with 10 years of management/technology consulting experience(already an MBA,did 10 years ago). Have strong reasons for doing MBA again.

b) Have 8 years of international work ex in leadership positions in US, Europe, Australia, NZ, India, India,APAC.
c) Good extra curriculars with volunteering experience of 10 years internatioanlly.. Also travel,cooking and diverse experience
d) Sound career goals to change function from consulting to Industry in same industry(technology)
e) 5 promotions with strong career growth and good resume
f) Recommendations from current and previous supervisor
g) GMAT of 710 (Q 78% V 85%)
h) Have worked 4 months on getting good stories built in essays

I am looking to work in US or Europe ,so changing the geography is also the motivation.

I am thinking of applying for

LBS, INSEAD, Kellogg( 1 year), MIT, IMD programs

Please comment on my chances for this college, already spoken to them about my age and they all said age is not the restriction provided I have good career goals and reasons to do MBA again. Well I cant take theie word as it is but at the moment that is the only guideline I have.

Thanks for your help !

Cheers!
Hi there!

You have a well rounded and interesting profile in my opinion, with excellent extracurriculars, international exposure and work experience in particular so if your essays really are good, your chances should be good for all the schools you mentioned. Make sure you give the essays your all basically and feel free to let us know if you would like any help with that part!

(And yes, age is usually less of an issue if there is a compelling reason to do an MBA, ARINGO has worked with many clients your age or older who have been admitted to top schools, including some of the ones you mentioned, so I would not worry too much about that if I were you)

Posted:
9 messages
Post Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:43 pm
Hi Michelle,

Thanks so much for your reply. My only other concern is that my previous undergrad institution and post grad are outside top 20 in the country but my GPA is 4 in both of them. Do you think this will have any impact when am competing against guys who did undergrad from stanford,oxford etc.

Also INSEAD and LBS are my reapplications as I improved my GMAT from 650 to 710 from last time, do you think both these colleges will entertain me more from last time( specially for LBS my whole application is improved CV, essays and GMAT etc)

Thanks for your help !

Cheers!

hemansan Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
4 messages
GMAT Score:
Post Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:52 pm
Hi Michelle,

I am a married male, Indian, from Software Industry. I will have total 10 years experience in June 2017.
I am working as manager for last 4 yrs, and planning to apply for MBA.

I have done MS from one of the top colleges from India with 8.3 / 10 GPA.
My managerial experience has been in mobile app development where I have worked with startups to develop their products.
I have also tried to start two businesses unsuccessfully where I had built the products and got some traction as well.

Among extracurricuIar activities, I have done volunteer work in the NGOs.

I was thinking of applying to Stanford MsX, MIT, Cornell Tech, Cornell Johnson, UT Austin, and University of South California.

Can you please suggest my chances in these schools and any other good options for me ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:47 pm
nameisashish wrote:
Hi Michelle,

Thanks so much for your reply. My only other concern is that my previous undergrad institution and post grad are outside top 20 in the country but my GPA is 4 in both of them. Do you think this will have any impact when am competing against guys who did undergrad from stanford,oxford etc.

Also INSEAD and LBS are my reapplications as I improved my GMAT from 650 to 710 from last time, do you think both these colleges will entertain me more from last time( specially for LBS my whole application is improved CV, essays and GMAT etc)

Thanks for your help !

Cheers!
I would not be too concerned about the first part, the institutions are only one part of the puzzle so if you are able to submit excellent essays etc. I don’t think that will keep you out. It’s just one factor in your application and in my experience not one of the more important ones.

The second thing you wrote is more worrying, however. Why is the application only significantly better for LBS and not for INSEAD? If both are reapplications, you would need to show improvements for both schools. Your GMAT score did improve significantly, which will surely help but would suggest you see if you can improve other things for INSEAD as well.

Also, getting professional help is often recommended for reapplicants in particular. Just something to keep in mind should you be open to the idea…

All in all, I think you are in good shape but would suggest you look over essays carefully since you are reapplying. Keep in mind that INSEAD is not considered one of the more reapplicant friendly schools out there (LBS is generally more positive towards reapplicants).

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:53 pm
hemansan wrote:
Hi Michelle,

I am a married male, Indian, from Software Industry. I will have total 10 years experience in June 2017.
I am working as manager for last 4 yrs, and planning to apply for MBA.

I have done MS from one of the top colleges from India with 8.3 / 10 GPA.
My managerial experience has been in mobile app development where I have worked with startups to develop their products.
I have also tried to start two businesses unsuccessfully where I had built the products and got some traction as well.

Among extracurricuIar activities, I have done volunteer work in the NGOs.

I was thinking of applying to Stanford MsX, MIT, Cornell Tech, Cornell Johnson, UT Austin, and University of South California.

Can you please suggest my chances in these schools and any other good options for me ?
Hi and thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately I am missing quite a bit of relevant information here, especially as some of the schools you’ve mentioned are very competitive. So based on the information given I can’t really answer that at this point.

Some of the information missing that I would need is of course your GMAT score, understanding if and how often you were promoted, what those NGOs are and what you role there is etc.

Therefore, I would suggest you request a free profile evaluation on http://aringo.com/. We would be happy to give you a proper evaluation once we have all the information we need but with so many pieces missing anything I tell you right now would probably not be correct.

Thanked by: hemansan
Posted:
9 messages
Post Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:10 am
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your kind reply.

Actually why i said my application has improved significantly is because I rushed my previous LBS application in round 3(only had a week to prepare),still do not understand why i did that.My GMAT was 650 and CV, essays were way below standard.

After submitting my LBS application I prepared well to improve my CV ,essays for INSEAD and spent around 3 months preparing for same.The end result was to my satisfaction. But I think reason my application failed in INSEAD is not because of essays but my poor GMAT score and FT rankings which led to 60% increase in application. I am pretty sure admissions did not even look into my essays and rejected me with first GMAT hurdle.

So, I learned my lesson and improved my GMAT and worked on my reapplication essay and with the responses I have from LBS am really hopeful. for INSEAD am just hoping with my improved GMAT score they will at least look into my essays and get insights into my application. Have to say INSEAD response is not encouraging at all for reapplication but am persistent and this is how I have been all my life Smile

Good thing is I am applying to them in Round 2 so just having a good feeling about the applications this time.

Keeping fingers crossed and thanks so much for your encouraging response and your help in evaluating my profile.

Will keep you posted !

Cheers!

Best Conversation Starters

1 LUANDATO 153 topics
2 lheiannie07 87 topics
3 Roland2rule 75 topics
4 AAPL 62 topics
5 ardz24 60 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

166 posts
2 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

130 posts
3 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

128 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

121 posts
5 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

99 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts