Ask Aringo - if your GMAT is below 720.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:54 pm
Dear forum members,
We get a lot of questions from MBA candidates about how to select recommenders who will write an excellent LOR for the candidate, so we would like to share some tips and guidelines for selecting recommenders.
Here's some advice on which recommenders to select:

1. The level of excitement that the recommender demonstrates, and the reasons for this excitement (supporting examples), are most important.
2. The longer and more intense the acquaintance is, the better.
3. Recommendations that describe the candidate's background in the exact same industry name mentioned in the career plan are preferred.
4. Recommendations that attest to the candidate's leadership and management background are preferred.

In general, schools are looking for recommenders who know the candidate very well, on the basis of an experience that is:
- As long as possible.
- As intense as possible.
- Experience that is preferably work-related.
A lukewarm recommendation or one that reflects little acquaintance will not do the job, no matter who provided it. Having said that, an excited recommendation from a big shot which reflects close acquaintance is ideal, and much stronger than an excited recommendation from a junior manager.

Other things to consider:
- Schools prefer recommendations from bosses, unless they state otherwise.
- It is not recommended to use more than one recommendation from the same workplace.
- Recent relationships are better than "old" relationships.
- Schools prefer recommendations from a "direct supervisor". However, they also like recommendations from senior people.
- A recommendation from the current workplace is often a must. If the candidate can't bring one, they usually need to add a note explaining why.
- A recommendation from a professor is usually not recommended unless they worked for him - he was their boss (for example, as teaching assistant). However, note that a few schools actually REQUIRE a recommendation from a professor.
- A recommendation from a family firm is usually not recommended if it is written by a family member. However, if it is written by someone senior in a big firm, who is not a family member, even though the firm is owned by the family, it may be ok.
- A recommendation from a client is usually not recommended unless it is a very impressive client (big name firm). However, recommendations from clients can serve as a way out for people who have only worked in family firms and don't have other potential recommenders to choose from.
- If possible, it is better to select recommendations that provide different angles on the candidate.
- Recommenders who are alumni of the same school that the recommendation is submitted to are more effective than non-alumni recommenders (not critical, but helpful).
- Recommendations from very big shots (e.g. government ministers, famous people) are great if the context is of mutual activity (preferably direct/indirect supervisor) and the content reflects acquaintance and excitement. If not, they don't necessarily help and may even hurt.
- Pay special attention to the "recommendations instructions" section that each school provides (instructions to the candidate - which recommenders to choose etc., and instructions to the recommender). Their specific requirements must be met.

For more tips, please visit: https://aringo.com/mba-recommendations-process/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MBAhopeful23 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:59 am
Hey,

I plan to apply to top MBA programs for the class of 2018 (HBS, Columbia, Booth, MIT, LBS..).
I believe my application is strong - a strong background both personal and professional.
I have extensive leadership and managerial experience from the military, very strong reccomndations and a very strong GPA (poli. scie. and philosophy major). I also believe I have a unique personal story and background.

I took the GMAT twice - first go was 690 and second was 710.
My 710 breakdown was Q44 V42 IR8 AWA6

The advice I seek is in regards to my low quant score. How bad is it? Do I have a chance at all if I don't improve it? and if so.. how much of a stretch would it be?

Thank you so much for you help!

by Michelle@ARINGO » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:00 am
MBAhopeful23 wrote:Hey,

I plan to apply to top MBA programs for the class of 2018 (HBS, Columbia, Booth, MIT, LBS..).
I believe my application is strong - a strong background both personal and professional.
I have extensive leadership and managerial experience from the military, very strong reccomndations and a very strong GPA (poli. scie. and philosophy major). I also believe I have a unique personal story and background.

I took the GMAT twice - first go was 690 and second was 710.
My 710 breakdown was Q44 V42 IR8 AWA6

The advice I seek is in regards to my low quant score. How bad is it? Do I have a chance at all if I don't improve it? and if so.. how much of a stretch would it be?

Thank you so much for you help!
Hi MBAhopeful,

Thank you for reaching out. You've got an impressive profile, but if you want to break into the top ten, you're most likely going to need to improve your quant score as it is very difficult to gain admissions with a humanities undergrad and low quant.
You can use mbamath.com to showcase your quant skills in order to reduce the impact of your score, but your best bet for a top ten school is a better quant score, of at least a 48.

I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to reach out with any further questions.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Vishwa » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:06 am
Hi Aringo,

I am from India .I have a GMAT score of 640 (V38,Q40). I have 4.5 years of Experience in IT as a Senior CRM Consultant (Accenture India) . I have a 73% agg in my B.Tech IT from Anna University, Chennai. I would like to know about the chances of me getting into the following bschools:

1)Scheller
2)Smeal
3)Krannert
4)Wisconsin -Madison
5)Univ of Illinois -Urbana Champaign
6)Carey,Arizona

I know the quant score is quite low but my verbal score is reasonably high for a 640. Would that help?

Thanks in advance :)

by Michelle@ARINGO » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:20 am
Vishwa wrote:Hi Aringo,

I am from India .I have a GMAT score of 640 (V38,Q40). I have 4.5 years of Experience in IT as a Senior CRM Consultant (Accenture India) . I have a 73% agg in my B.Tech IT from Anna University, Chennai. I would like to know about the chances of me getting into the following bschools:

1)Scheller
2)Smeal
3)Krannert
4)Wisconsin -Madison
5)Univ of Illinois -Urbana Champaign
6)Carey,Arizona

I know the quant score is quite low but my verbal score is reasonably high for a 640. Would that help?

Thanks in advance :)
Dear Vishwa,

I don't personally have any experience with the schools you have listed below, so can't tell you much about your chances getting accepted to them.
Have you tried looking up their rankings on Bloomberg? You can usually find the average GMAT score for each school there, which can give you a sense of where you stand in terms of that. As a male from India in IT, you will usually need to do a bit extra to stand out from the crowd; I suggest highlighting any managerial or leadership experience you may have, as well as emphasizing your extracurricular activities.

Good luck!

by MattDC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:49 pm
Aringo,
I plan to apply in 2016 to Harvard, Wharton, MIT, Colombia and NYU:

- Recently took the GMAT and achieved a 710 (Q47, V40).

- Graduated in 2012 from a top Big Ten University with double major in English and History, and a GPA of 3.45.

- Currently work as an appointee to a small federal agency in Washington, DC that handles retirement policy.

What are my odds at the above schools?

Thanks!

by MattDC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:49 pm
Aringo,

- Graduated in 2012 from a top Big Ten University with double major in English and History, and a GPA of 3.45.

- Currently work as an appointee to a small federal agency in Washington, DC that handles retirement policy.

Thanks!

by Michelle@ARINGO » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:06 pm
MattDC wrote:Aringo,

Thanks!
Hi Matt,

There's really not enough information below for me to provide you with a chances assessment.
But if you look below in my signature, you'll see a link to our free online chances assessment tool.
You can visit the page and score yourself to get a sense of how you measure up.
Alternatively, you can write back with more information. By looking at that assessment tool, you'll see the various parameters that have significance.

All the best,

Joy

--------------------------------------------------
Free online chances calculator
Top MBA Programs

by MattDC » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:24 am
Thanks for the great tool!
My score was around a 69 (give or take .5pts).

Aringo.com wrote:
MattDC wrote:Aringo,

Thanks!
Hi Matt,

There's really not enough information below for me to provide you with a chances assessment.
But if you look below in my signature, you'll see a link to our free online chances assessment tool.
You can visit the page and score yourself to get a sense of how you measure up.
Alternatively, you can write back with more information. By looking at that assessment tool, you'll see the various parameters that have significance.

All the best,

Joy

Top MBA Programs

by newboyonthecorner » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:45 am
Hey Aringo,

Just like everyone here I require some help in making the American MBA dream a reality. I would quickly start with an introduction:

Basics: 25 yr old male from India with a business economics degree of 3 years with a finance & economics specialization. My total work experience in months is about 4 years 5 months. Here's the bifurcation in reverse chronological:

1) Consultant, Mergers & Acquisitions: 23 months in a boutique management consulting company in India, where I worked multiple transactions, joint ventures & greenfield projects with American and European private and public companies as my firm's clients. The deals ranged from USD 12 - 40 mn (I've been told that its is good if one can quantify one's work ex)

2) Analyst, Corporate Finance: 19 months in the corporate finance team of KPMG India where is performed financial valuations for both private and public companies and also supported my team with the required M&A research.

3) Research Associate: 11 months in industry research team of AON Corp in India wherein my primary task was creation of industry reports using various databases

Also I am a CFA charter holder from the CFA Institute in the US. As you might have noticed that most of my work experience has been in Corporate Finance. My dream B schools to attend are Wharton Business School, Chicago Booth, Columbia, NYU Stern. I have a 720 GMAT score right now, I am planning to write the applications in 2016 for the class of 2017 - 2019. I will aim for a better GMAT score once in the meantime.

So i would really be very grateful to you, if you could say from strong to competitive what chance do I stand in the colleges I mentioned, also if these are a stretch, would request you to suggest me 4 colleges which you think I should apply.

Would mean the world if you could help.

Thanks in advance

by boomshakalaka » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:33 am
Hi people from Aringo,

Thank you so much for taking out the time to evaluate my profile. I am applying to schools in R2 this cycle. My credentials are:

Nationality : Indian

Academics :
Xth - 83%
XIIth - 87%
Graduation : Chemical engineer from IIT Delhi (Consistently ranked among the top 2 engineering universities in India)
CGPA - 6.5/10

GMAT - 700 - bad experience ( Planning a retake and expect to score around 730)

Work experience :

Total 50 months (in chronological order)

* 1 year 8 months as a Proprietary trader at one of the largest prop trading firms in India. Not very famous outside India though.
* 2 years 2 months as cofounder of an educational startup that grew to 60,000 monthly users. Did not not raise venture funding. The startup has been closed.
* 2 months as a Product Manager at one of India's hottest startup - Series C funded (more than $50 million in bank)
* Managing director of family investment firm for the past 6 months. This is part-time so don't really know how much it counts.

Extra Curriculars :

* Director of a family run Non Profit organisation that is working towards the prevention and eradication of Encephalitis. It's a small organisation currently and work has been limited to 3 districts in India.
* Captain of hostel soccer team.

International Exposure:

3 months as an International Research scholar at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Activities & Interest:

* Traveling : Have traveled to more than 10 countries. Into exploring cultures and understanding the values and traditions of people living in different parts of our beautiful planet.
* Soccer.

Post MBA goal - Product Management at an established technology company or a high growth startup so that I can learn valuable skills I am currently lacking, and which along with the lessons from my previous startup enable me to create an organisation that significantly improves the lives of people involved. Product Management is a very new role in India (very few startups have it) and even in US it's been less than 15 years since such a role was created. It's like a mini CEO for products and one of the most sought after roles currently in Silicon Valley. My two years of startup experience prepare me well for such a role.

5-7 year goal : Disrupting education/ healthcare by building a technology organisation that creates value for people around the world - I know this is very generic, but would love to have a conversation and go deep into this.

My target schools are - Berkeley, Kellogg, UCLA and Yale.

My main considerations are - Location (Silicon Valley) and placement in technology companies. I plant to apply in R2 2015-2016.

I would love to know your view on my profile, preferably the weaker points and things that can be done to mitigate the weakness in my profile.

Again, thank you for doing this.

by Michelle@ARINGO » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:44 am
newboyonthecorner wrote:Hey Aringo,

Just like everyone here I require some help in making the American MBA dream a reality. I would quickly start with an introduction:

Basics: 25 yr old male from India with a business economics degree of 3 years with a finance & economics specialization. My total work experience in months is about 4 years 5 months. Here's the bifurcation in reverse chronological:

1) Consultant, Mergers & Acquisitions: 23 months in a boutique management consulting company in India, where I worked multiple transactions, joint ventures & greenfield projects with American and European private and public companies as my firm's clients. The deals ranged from USD 12 - 40 mn (I've been told that its is good if one can quantify one's work ex)

2) Analyst, Corporate Finance: 19 months in the corporate finance team of KPMG India where is performed financial valuations for both private and public companies and also supported my team with the required M&A research.

3) Research Associate: 11 months in industry research team of AON Corp in India wherein my primary task was creation of industry reports using various databases

Also I am a CFA charter holder from the CFA Institute in the US. As you might have noticed that most of my work experience has been in Corporate Finance. My dream B schools to attend are Wharton Business School, Chicago Booth, Columbia, NYU Stern. I have a 720 GMAT score right now, I am planning to write the applications in 2016 for the class of 2017 - 2019. I will aim for a better GMAT score once in the meantime.

So i would really be very grateful to you, if you could say from strong to competitive what chance do I stand in the colleges I mentioned, also if these are a stretch, would request you to suggest me 4 colleges which you think I should apply.

Would mean the world if you could help.

Thanks in advance
Hi, your work experience is very good - you are absolutely right, it's important to quantify the work. Also you want to stress ownership and results achieved. As an Indian male, you are up against a great deal of competition, and GMAT scores are being weighed more and more heavily; to improve your competitiveness you should definitely work on getting a higher score. You haven't mentioned any voluntary / community work. That will also be important; you need to show yourself as a super achiever, with widespread interests and great accomplishments to distinguish yourself. Also, try to emphasize any leadership experience you've had - if not at work, then at university, extracurricular, etc. At the moment, I'd say those top schools are a stretch - you should definitely apply, but also look to some easier ones. You haven't mentioned your goals, which makes it rather random to suggest schools for you, but you could check out BusWeek and look for top 20-25 ranked programs, and apply to some safety schools...

Good luck!
Joy

Top MBA Programs

by Michelle@ARINGO » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:38 am
boomshakalaka wrote:Hi people from Aringo,

Thank you so much for taking out the time to evaluate my profile. I am applying to schools in R2 this cycle. My credentials are:

Nationality : Indian

Academics :
Xth - 83%
XIIth - 87%
Graduation : Chemical engineer from IIT Delhi (Consistently ranked among the top 2 engineering universities in India)
CGPA - 6.5/10

GMAT - 700 - bad experience ( Planning a retake and expect to score around 730)

Work experience :

Total 50 months (in chronological order)

* 1 year 8 months as a Proprietary trader at one of the largest prop trading firms in India. Not very famous outside India though.
* 2 years 2 months as cofounder of an educational startup that grew to 60,000 monthly users. Did not not raise venture funding. The startup has been closed.
* 2 months as a Product Manager at one of India's hottest startup - Series C funded (more than $50 million in bank)
* Managing director of family investment firm for the past 6 months. This is part-time so don't really know how much it counts.

Extra Curriculars :

* Director of a family run Non Profit organisation that is working towards the prevention and eradication of Encephalitis. It's a small organisation currently and work has been limited to 3 districts in India.
* Captain of hostel soccer team.

International Exposure:

3 months as an International Research scholar at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Activities & Interest:

* Traveling : Have traveled to more than 10 countries. Into exploring cultures and understanding the values and traditions of people living in different parts of our beautiful planet.
* Soccer.

Post MBA goal - Product Management at an established technology company or a high growth startup so that I can learn valuable skills I am currently lacking, and which along with the lessons from my previous startup enable me to create an organisation that significantly improves the lives of people involved. Product Management is a very new role in India (very few startups have it) and even in US it's been less than 15 years since such a role was created. It's like a mini CEO for products and one of the most sought after roles currently in Silicon Valley. My two years of startup experience prepare me well for such a role.

5-7 year goal : Disrupting education/ healthcare by building a technology organisation that creates value for people around the world - I know this is very generic, but would love to have a conversation and go deep into this.

My target schools are - Berkeley, Kellogg, UCLA and Yale.

My main considerations are - Location (Silicon Valley) and placement in technology companies. I plant to apply in R2 2015-2016.

I would love to know your view on my profile, preferably the weaker points and things that can be done to mitigate the weakness in my profile.

Again, thank you for doing this.
Hi, Boomshakalaka,

You've got a very interesting profile, you clearly know what you want, and your goals are well based in your past experience.
There are a few questions raised:
1) Why the degree in chemical engineering? You don't seem to have done anything with it. Did it take 3-4 years to figure out you didn't want to be an engineer? Couldn't switch tracks mid stream?
2) I'm interested how you then went into trading... and then in less than 2 years decided that wasn't for you either.
3) Once we get to the co-founder role, we seem to be in business �. From there on, you are fine, so you need to just find the story that explains the earlier dabbling and trying to find yourself.
4) Play up the family business angle - always good to know you have something to fall back on. Also play up leadership experience - in the startup, volunteering, soccer - wherever we can find it.
5) I like the short term goal of PM, as a way to prepare for starting your own company - love the story of how you failed, and learned, and will do it right the next time - excellent.
6) Good choice of schools.
7) Definitely study and retake the GMAT.

So in conclusion, you've got a very good shot - need to create a cohesive story, show us you really know what you want to do this time, and prove to us you have the passion and commitment to succeed in your goals.

Good luck!!

Joy

Top MBA Programs

by Michelle@ARINGO » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:44 am
Dear all,
Wanted to share with you a short interview we had with a Sloan MBA graduate:

What is special about your school? In your eyes, what differentiates your school from others?

"¢ The spirit of MIT - the university has a soul, and for me that was the most amazing thing.
"¢ Focus on entrepreneurship, being a hub of innovation and out-of-the-box thinking not only from the MBA classmates but also the brilliant minds from the engineering schools.
"¢ No peer pressure to join stereotypical MBA jobs like consulting or ibanking, a lot of new ideas and pursuits are encouraged.
"¢ Focus on team work.
"¢ Tolerance for failure

Any recent changes in your school? or in the admission process?

Introduction of the optional/video essay. I would recommend attempting the video essay if possible because it gives an opportunity to showcase something very different about the candidate, and create an informal setting to learn more about who you really are. It reflects the spirit and energy of the school as well.

Can you share some details about the atmosphere in the school? between students, between students and faculty? How do you spend your free time?

"¢ There is a palpable sense of mutual respect and admiration amongst all students, no one is ranked or called out for either being from a wealthy background or having certain brands on their resume. The students love the way in which selection process happens and assume there must be something wonderful about everyone who is there
"¢ We love working on C Functions, which are the most amazing thing ever. Alternate Thursdays, one of the cultural clubs organizes a show in which classmates from different cultural backgrounds come together to immerse themselves in the culture of a region, dance, sing, eat. Sloan sponsors beer, which is awesome. It's a great avenue to bond.
"¢ Sloan is not transactional. There is no fee for every mixer or interaction, a lot of things are school sponsored and encourage everyone to come out and get to know each other and do stuff together.
"¢ Faculty is all about high thinking. Focus is on bringing out the essence of a concept, encourage open debate and discussion, provide a spectrum of perspectives. Assignments and learning are for the most part meaningful and relevant. If you don't like a class, you can opt out late into the semester and it won't reflect on your academic record which is just wonderful.

Can you share some details about the area/city?

Cambridge is a university town. Lots of brilliant young minds, the vibe is very young, entrepreneurial, energetic and optimistic. Accommodation is expensive but unaffordable.
Boston/Cambridge has a nice cultural vibe. Lots of art events to attend, very pro-diversity and liberal.
Winters are cold and snowed under but its not windy like Chicago so its quite beautiful if you ask me.

Can you share some details regarding job opportunities and summer internships for students in your school? How strong is the career office? Did the school name/brand give you any advantage when looking for a job? Are there any specific recruiters who mostly recruit from this school?

Saying you are from MIT or MIT Sloan opens almost every door. Its really upto how focused, proactive and determined you are.
The Career Office is very good when it comes to consulting, finance, tech and increasingly marketing jobs. They organize a lot of workshops, coaching sessions etc. Very helpful.
Career office not that great in traditionally non-MBA sectors like media entertainment, fashion, etc.
There are some opportunities to get part-funding for doing social impact internships, but not as much as some other peer schools.
McKinsey, BCG, Bain, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Genentech, Deloitte, J P Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Citi, love Sloan, there's definitely a few more that I'm missing.

How did you deal with the Visa issue?

MIT International Students Office is wonderful. They made the process really easy, offered a lot of guidance and I never really felt I was going to a new country. It was a breeze. I took a ton of documents to my visa interview, all that the guy asked me was where I was planning to go to school, I said 'MIT' and he just instantly approved it.

What did you like about the school/program?

A lot of things that I have mentioned earlier. Just to be fair, there are things I think need to improve - the school underplays its branding and marketing a lot, either due to lack of resources or just the tech-focused culture where they downplay the glamor. So the sessions by the Admissions Office are not particularly impressive, and they don't do a lot of sessions internationally, but if you can live with that then you are in for a rollercoaster ride that you will be glad you took.
Sloan should try and offer more scholarships and loan-forgiveness opportunities for sure, I got lucky and became a Siebel Scholar and they have amazing TA/RA opportunities but it is still relatively small in terms of the number of students it can impact

Who will especially enjoy this school? who will be a good fit to the school?

Someone who is liberal, looking for a genuinely engaging experience versus just doing bschool as a resume check point. Someone with an inquisite mind and proactive nature and doesn't expect to be spoon fed or handheld all the time.
Folks with a passion for innovation, entrepreneurship and technology will do very well here. Those who need structures not so well.

Any tips for someone who is considering applying to your school?

"¢ It is particularly important to be yourself in the Sloan application, they are not impressed by arrogance or make-believe.
"¢ Highlight what you are passionate about in life and what makes you who you are.
"¢ Show a clear passion for the school, do a lot of research in detail about courses and activities that would benefit you
"¢ Understand what the Sloan mission is all about, they really believe in it, and mean it. The focus on ethics, diversity and advancement of management principles is very deeply ingrained in the school.
"¢ Higher analytical ability, passion for data, technology, new and efficient way of doing things, challenging status quo are all great things to have for Sloan.

by Michelle@ARINGO » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:34 pm
Hi everyone,
We are continuing to work through the holidays to help meet your application deadlines and answer your questions. Need last minute admissions help? Don't hesitate to contact us!