Ask Aringo - if your GMAT is below 720.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:53 pm
derbi wrote:Hi,
I'm thinking about applying in round 3 this year. I'm 30 years old, Male, GMAT: 720, 6 years of full time work experience.
Can you give me some feedback on whether I have a chance in R3 or should I wait to round 1 next year. I'm considering Kellogg, Tuck , Stanford, Columbia, Berkeley.
Thank you for your time.
Hey Derbi,
I'm afraid I don't have quite enough of a complete profile of you to make a proper determination. Specifically regarding your work experience. But generally speaking, since you're on the older side of MBA candidates, I recommend applying now if you can get together a solid application in time.
Good luck,
David
Aringo.com

by Michelle@ARINGO » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:01 pm
fearlessJ wrote:Hi team,
I would like for you to please help me evaluate my chances based on the following information.
I am in Indian male,IT, GMAT 700 (Q48, V 38), 30, close to 7 years of work exp, BS from India 3.6 GPA, MS from USA 3.2 GPA
I was very active during my undergrad days with co curricular activites. I was the founder of the first literary college society and organized several events. I was the MC several inter college events and lead our college teams in several contests as well. I had very few oppurtunities to get involved with extra curricular activities during my MS since i was new to the country and completed it in 3 semesters only. Since my masters, i have worked in IT and am with a product company now from the last 3 years and do Tech consulting for them. This means i travel to client sites etc but am mostly involved with the tech side of house. All my clients are fortune 100 companies in the USA.

I know that i am from a pool where GMAT scores are generally higher but i am not sure how many people from this pool have an MS. Will this be a positive or a negative thing for me?
My target schools are UC Berkely,UCLA or IIM A(exec program), IIM B(exec program), IIM C (exec program), ISB

thanks in advance.
Hi Fearless,
Your MS will be looked upon favorably, and you will be a competitive candidate at UC Berkeley and UCLA. I can't say about the Indian schools.
Good luck,
David
Aringo.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by derbi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:23 pm
Thanks David!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by timpu123 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:36 pm
Hi team

I am an indian female, sw engineer 710 ( Q48, V38, IR 8), close to 10 years of experience. Bachelors from India with 75% and MS from US with 3.0 gpa. Currently working in the Bay Area. Also have some entrepreneurial experience as I worked in a startup as the founding member.
Coming to extra-curricular activities, I volunteer as a tutor on and off, time permitting.

What are my chances getting into haas part-time ?

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:53 am
timpu123 wrote:Hi team

I am an indian female, sw engineer 710 ( Q48, V38, IR 8), close to 10 years of experience. Bachelors from India with 75% and MS from US with 3.0 gpa. Currently working in the Bay Area. Also have some entrepreneurial experience as I worked in a startup as the founding member.
Coming to extra-curricular activities, I volunteer as a tutor on and off, time permitting.

What are my chances getting into haas part-time ?
Hi Timpu,
While I don't have a very complete profile from what you provided, it seems you would be a competitive candidate at Haas.
Good luck,
David

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by thunder78 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:58 am
Hi,
I would like to know what is the schools' approach to candidates who took the GMAT more than once? for example, is 730 on the first try is much better than 730 on the 3rd try?

by Michelle@ARINGO » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
thunder78 wrote:Hi,
I would like to know what is the schools' approach to candidates who took the GMAT more than once? for example, is 730 on the first try is much better than 730 on the 3rd try?
Hi Thunder,
In most cases (unless specifically stated otherwise by the school), the lower scores have relatively low (or zero) impact, and the higher score counts the most by far.
Good luck,
David
Aringo.com

by bingo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:03 am
Hi!
My current and previous supervisors have been my choices for recommendation. However, the school requires 3 letters. I thought of adding my first supervisor, but this was about 8-9 years ago. Will this be considered too much in the past?
As I don't handle clients as such, my only other choice would be a supervisor (4-5 yrs ago, current company) but i am not confident of the letter.
Any suggestions? Is 8-9 yrs back too old?

by Michelle@ARINGO » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:15 pm
bingo wrote:Hi!
My current and previous supervisors have been my choices for recommendation. However, the school requires 3 letters. I thought of adding my first supervisor, but this was about 8-9 years ago. Will this be considered too much in the past?
As I don't handle clients as such, my only other choice would be a supervisor (4-5 yrs ago, current company) but i am not confident of the letter.
Any suggestions? Is 8-9 yrs back too old?
Hi Bingo,

First of all, you definitely have the right start - current supervisors are usually the strongest recommenders. A previous supervisor is also a good bet.
For the third recommendation, you can be a bit more "creative". It's possible to use that supervisor from 9 years ago, but probably not ideal. Is there someone else? Try thinking outside the box a bit - it doesn't have to be a direct supervisor. How about another manager in the company, especially someone higher up than your own supervisor? Anyone else who knows you well enough that can write a recommendation? It can also be outside of work, from something else that you are involved in.

Good luck,
David
Senior Consultant
Aringo.com

by bingo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am
David, thanks a lot!

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:05 am
Dear all,

Here is an option that many candidates aren't aware of - we decided to update you about this:

From Mid-January, there are about 40 deadlines (that are not last rounds deadlines!) for some of the world's top MBA programs (Top 25 programs, including Columbia, INSEAD, and others).

These deadlines are for school start dates in September 2015 or January 2016.
The admission chances in these deadlines are similar to second-round chances.

Please see these options here.

Hope you find this info helpful, good luck!

by ronaldo7 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:57 am
I'm about to take the GMAT test soon as I'm currently having the time for all the preparation that is needed. However I'm not going to apply before fall, maybe not even this year.
I'm not sure if I should still send the test results to my preferred schools already as I can pick 5 programs to send the results to for free, while taking the test. How do the admission teams handle the scores if there is no application following, or if the application comes a year later?

by Michelle@ARINGO » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:22 am
ronaldo7 wrote:I'm about to take the GMAT test soon as I'm currently having the time for all the preparation that is needed. However I'm not going to apply before fall, maybe not even this year.
I'm not sure if I should still send the test results to my preferred schools already as I can pick 5 programs to send the results to for free, while taking the test. How do the admission teams handle the scores if there is no application following, or if the application comes a year later?
Hi there!
It doesn't matter when you send the scores. Adcoms know people don't necessarily take the GMAT right before they apply. If you would like to send your score, that's perfectly fine. If you'd rather not send it yet and see how you do, that's fine too.
As for what they do with it, it'll put you on their email lists but that's about it. Depending on your score, various programs may choose to reach out to you to invite you attend events, apply, etc.
Most schools only ask you to self-report and some don't even ask for all the scores if you don't want to report them. They only want the official report once you're accepted.
Good Luck!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:56 am
Hi Aringo,
Let me begin by stating that I'm aware that b-school is tough to get in and subsequently MBA is even tougher to complete successfully - it'll require lots of hard work during that 2 years in the b-school.

But, still I think there are schools which have got more intense & highly competitive programs than the others in the top 20 or so (US news).

So, it'd be really helpful if you could let me know which schools among the followings are having the most competitive/tough 2 yr MBA ? And how this list would look like if we could rearrange the b-schools in terms of MOST competitive, tough & intense Full-time 2 year MBA programs ?
  • HBS
    Kellogg
    CBS
    Tuck
    Darden
    Ross
    UCLA Anderson
    Cornell Johnson
    McCombs
    Emory Goizueta
    Olin
    UNC- Kenan-"‹Flagler
    Kelley
Look forward to your thoughts. Much thanks in advance!

by Michelle@ARINGO » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:03 am
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. It's a fair question. However, as an admissions consulting firm, our expertise is successful navigation of the application process and not completing the actual programs themselves.
The closest thing I can offer you is a link to our Top MBA Programs Tips page (https://www.aringo.com/top_MBA_Business_ ... ograms.htm), which details individualized summaries regarding what qualities each school emphasizes and a bit about the general environment of the school. For example, it will tell you that Harvard adheres to strict rules and maintains a serious atmosphere, while Kellogg offers a highly social environment that emphasizes teamwork and collaboration. It will also give you other information, listing the advantages and strengths of each specific program and identifying what kind of person would benefit from and enjoy studying there.

Beyond that, I can only suggest that you reach out to alumni or current students in each program and request a personal account of their experiences in the programs.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision.