Ask a Tepper Student

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

by mirantdon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:14 am
AMMMMMMMAZ1111111NG CAROL111NE,!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by avaluxe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:51 am
Hi all! I'm Sara, first year part-time student (FlexTime) at Tepper. I'll try to answer some of your questions as best I can.

mirantdon - Your profile is impressive. Definitely mention your interest in operations when applying. Tepper is a fantastic operations school.

worldisflat84 - You asked about the management science method versus the case study method. Since I haven't attended any other MBA program, I couldn't tell you exactly how it's different, but this I know: everything we learn in this school has a ton of research and data to back it up. Case studies may be a more holistic way of learning, but it appears that Tepper wants us all to have a solid understanding of the quant side of just about everything before jumping into case studies. One of our first classes is optimization and decision making, and just about everyone is extremely challenged by the content of the class. It's a Tepper rite of passage. As someone who isn't an engineer, I can see how our first few classes are a bit boring for the engineers - but since I'm not a mathy person, it's challenging but also very interesting.

p.s. - I'm from a liberal arts background, and we non-engineers exist (and succeed) here at Tepper, contrary to what you might believe!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:58 am
Thanks so much avaluxe for representing your school to our community! We're thrilled to have you here!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school