Area of Right angle Triangle (DS)

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:01 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    What is the area of right triangle XYZ?

(1) Side YZ is 9 inches long.

(2) Side XZ is 15 inches long.

Thanked by: gmattesttaker2
    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:21 pm
    In order to find the area of a triangle, we need the base and the height. For a right triangle, that means the lengths of both the two non-hypotenuse sides.

Statements (1) and (2) are clearly insufficient on their own, as each gives us only a single side length, and we need both the base and the height.

Be careful, though! That doesn't mean that using the statement together will give us the area. This question is trying to trick us into thinking that we have a familiar right triangle: 9-12-15, giving us an area of 54.

That's one possibility, but it's also possible that 9 and 15 are the base and height, and the hypotenuse is sqrt(306). This would give us an area of 67.5.

The answer is E.

Remember that in geometry DS questions, you should try to think of as many configurations of the given shape as possible - don't just assume that it's the familiar one.

Ceilidh Erickson
    Manhattan Prep GMAT & GRE instructor
    EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
    Harvard Graduate School of Education

Manhattan Prep instructors all have 99th+ percentile scores and expert teaching experience.
    Sign up for a FREE TRIAL, and learn why we have the highest ratings in the GMAT industry!

Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
    Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:27 pm
    ajaysingh24 wrote:

Target question: What is the area of right triangle XYZ?

KEY CONCEPT: Area of triangle = (1/2)(base)(height)
    So, to answer the target question, we need lengths of BOTH the base AND the height.

Statement 1: Side YZ is 9 inches long.
    We have only 1 measurement. So, there's no way to determine the area of the triangle.
    Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Side XZ is 15 inches long.
    We have only 1 measurement. So, there's no way to determine the area of the triangle.
    Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
    We still don't have enough information.
    Consider the following 2 cases (which both satisfy the given conditions).

case a:

Here, the area = (1/2)(9)(12) = 54

case b:

Here, the area = (1/2)(9)(15)= 67.5
    Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer = E

Cheers,
    Brent

Check out the online reviews of our course

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
    gmattesttaker2 Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Posted:
    641 messages
    Followed by:
    8 members
    Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:04 pm
    Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
    ajaysingh24 wrote:

Target question: What is the area of right triangle XYZ?

KEY CONCEPT: Area of triangle = (1/2)(base)(height)
    So, to answer the target question, we need lengths of BOTH the base AND the height.

Statement 1: Side YZ is 9 inches long.
    Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Side XZ is 15 inches long.
    Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
    We still don't have enough information.
    Consider the following 2 cases (which both satisfy the given conditions).

case a:

Here, the area = (1/2)(9)(12) = 54

case b:

Here, the area = (1/2)(9)(15)= 67.5
    Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer = E

Cheers,
    Brent
    Hello Brent,

Thanks for the explanation. Suppose we have a right angled triangle where we are given the value of the hypotenuse only and are asked to determine the value of the other two sides, is it possible to determine those values? For example, if the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 5, then I think we can say for sure that the value of the other 2 sides are 3 and 2. Can we do this for any right triangle if we know the hypotenuse? Thanks a lot for your help.

Best Regards,
    Sri

I could be wrong but I think I have come across triangles hwere

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:32 pm
    gmattesttaker2 wrote:
    Hello Brent,

Thanks for the explanation. Suppose we have a right angled triangle where we are given the value of the hypotenuse only and are asked to determine the value of the other two sides, is it possible to determine those values? For example, if the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 5, then I think we can say for sure that the value of the other 2 sides are 3 and 2. Can we do this for any right triangle if we know the hypotenuse? Thanks a lot for your help.

Best Regards,
    Sri

If we know the length of the hypotenuse only, then we can't find the other two lengths.
    For example, if the hypotenuse has length 5 and the other two sides have lengths x and y, all we can say for certain is that x² + y² = 5² (by the Pythagorean Theorem)
    There is an infinite number of solutions to this equation. Here are just a few:
    x = 3 and y = 4
    x = √11 and y = √14
    x = √8 and y = √17
    x = 2 and y = √21
    etc.

Cheers,
    Brent

Check out the online reviews of our course

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
    gmattesttaker2 Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Posted:
    641 messages
    Followed by:
    8 members
    Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:21 pm
    Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
    gmattesttaker2 wrote:
    Hello Brent,

Best Regards,
    Sri

If we know the length of the hypotenuse only, then we can't find the other two lengths.
    For example, if the hypotenuse has length 5 and the other two sides have lengths x and y, all we can say for certain is that x² + y² = 5² (by the Pythagorean Theorem)
    There is an infinite number of solutions to this equation. Here are just a few:
    x = 3 and y = 4
    x = √11 and y = √14
    x = √8 and y = √17
    x = 2 and y = √21
    etc.

Cheers,
    Brent
    Hello Brent,

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

Best Regards,
    Sri

Best Conversation Starters

1 AbeNeedsAnswers 30 topics
    2 amontobin 16 topics
    3 richachampion 12 topics
    4 NandishSS 8 topics
    5 rsarashi 5 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

74 posts
    2 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

72 posts
    3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

66 posts
    4 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

65 posts
    5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

55 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts