Arctic terns, being true long-distance migrants, they nest i

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
Arctic terns, being true long-distance migrants, they nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe but fly south for thousands of miles to spend the European winters in Antarctica

A. Arctic terns, being true long distance migrants , they nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
B. Arctic terns are true long distance migrants, nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
C. Being that they are true long distance migrants, arctic terns nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
D. Nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe, arctic terns are true long distant migrants
E. True long distance migrants, arctic terns nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe

OA: E

GMAT Prep Exam Pack Question.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by fabiocafarelli » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:01 am
1. It is not natural in English to introduce the subject first as a noun (TERNS) and then as a pronoun (THEY). Another way to look at this problem would be to say that the noun subject ARCTIC TERNS lacks a verb: the verb goes with THEY. In either case, the construction is not correct. Eliminate A.

2. The simplest approach to option B would be to notice that it fails to give the sentence a parallel structure: NESTING ...BUT FLY is anything but effective sentence construction. Eliminate this option.

3. Always eliminate any option containing the phrase BEING THAT, as in option C.

4. Option D has a less obvious problem that is basically one of logical sentence construction. The clause arctic terns are true long-distance migrants but fly south uses the conjunction BUT illogically. The meaning seems to be that birds that ARE LONG-DISTANCE MIGRANTS would not normally FLY SOUTH, or that there is something incongruous or surprising in their doing so.

5. By elimination, you have the correct answer. Option E begins with a phrase that logically modifies the subject ARCTIC TERNS. The sentence then goes on to use the verbs NEST and FLY in parallel form, and there are no errors or ambiguities. And the idea makes sense: these birds nest in one area of the world but then fly south to another to spend the winter.

If you like this post, please click on the THANK icon.

Try our online GMAT prep

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:00 am
richachampion wrote:Arctic terns, being true long-distance migrants, they nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe but fly south for thousands of miles to spend the European winters in Antarctica

A. Arctic terns, being true long distance migrants , they nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
B. Arctic terns are true long distance migrants, nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
C. Being that they are true long distance migrants, arctic terns nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
D. Nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe, arctic terns are true long distant migrants
E. True long distance migrants, arctic terns nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
In A, arctic terns (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate A.

A VERBing modifier must serve to express an action that is CONCURRENT with the main action.
B: Arctic terns are true long distance migrants, nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe.
D: Nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe, arctic terns are true long distant migrants.
These options imply that arctic terns are NESTING at the same time as they are MIGRANTS -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate B and D.

C: Being that they are true long distance migrants, arctic terns
Here, being seems to refer to arctic terns, implying that arctic terns are being that they are true long distance migrants.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate C.

The correct answer is E.

but must serve to express a CONTRAST.
Another error in D:
Arctic terms are true long distance migrants but fly south for thousands of miles.
Here, the red portion and the blue portion express SIMILAR ideas.
Thus, the usage of but is illogical.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3