Aqaba Jordan OG16

This topic has 3 expert replies and 8 member replies
Neilsheth2 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posted:
65 messages
Upvotes:

Aqaba Jordan OG16

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:29 am
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and
(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the
(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the
(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the

Discussions please. OA [E Why?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
zoe Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
113 messages
Upvotes:
Top Reply
Post Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:02 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Rule:
If a subject is omitted, It must be CRYSTAL CLEAR what subject is intended.

Answer choice A in the SC above:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation.
Here, the implied subject of the verbless as-clause seems to be a church -- the nearest preceding noun -- with the result that church must also serve as the referent for its.
Hi GurunNY,

it is new for me.
if a cause omits object / verb, then the omitted subject must be the noun preceding immediately ?

why not omitted subject is structure?

please give me more further explanation.

thanks a lot,
have a nice day
>_~

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
154 messages
Upvotes:
Top Reply
Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:35 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Neilsheth2 wrote:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and
(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the
(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the
(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the
A: as indicated
Here, it is not crystal clear WHAT is indicated.
Eliminate A.

B: A ruined structure...was indicated by its orientation.
This meaning is nonsensical:
An ORIENTATION cannot indicate a STRUCTURE.
Eliminate B.

but must serve to connect CONTRASTING IDEAS.
C: its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the artifacts
Here, the usage of but is inappropriate, since the orientation, the plan and the artifacts are NOT contrasting ideas.
Rather, all three serve THE SAME FUNCTION: they indicate that the ruined structure was probably a church.
Eliminate C.

D: as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan
Here, indicates (singular) does not agree with its eastward orientation and overall plan (plural subject).
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
I am still confused about this question. In choice A, I think it's church indicated, church is the subject of verb indicated, and indicated is the past participle to show passivity.
Also, in the explanation, OG said E's expression (by) (its) A+ B, as well as (by) C. Why the structure is not the by A and B as well as C or by A and by B as well as by C?
Thanks in advance !

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
zoe Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
113 messages
Upvotes:
Post Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:02 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Rule:

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation.
Here, the implied subject of the verbless as-clause seems to be a church -- the nearest preceding noun -- with the result that church must also serve as the referent for its.
Hi GurunNY,

it is new for me.
if a cause omits object / verb, then the omitted subject must be the noun preceding immediately ?

why not omitted subject is structure?

please give me more further explanation.

thanks a lot,
have a nice day
>_~

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
154 messages
Upvotes:
Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:35 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Neilsheth2 wrote:

A: as indicated
Here, it is not crystal clear WHAT is indicated.
Eliminate A.

B: A ruined structure...was indicated by its orientation.
This meaning is nonsensical:
An ORIENTATION cannot indicate a STRUCTURE.
Eliminate B.

but must serve to connect CONTRASTING IDEAS.
C: its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the artifacts
Here, the usage of but is inappropriate, since the orientation, the plan and the artifacts are NOT contrasting ideas.
Rather, all three serve THE SAME FUNCTION: they indicate that the ruined structure was probably a church.
Eliminate C.

D: as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan
Here, indicates (singular) does not agree with its eastward orientation and overall plan (plural subject).
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
I am still confused about this question. In choice A, I think it's church indicated, church is the subject of verb indicated, and indicated is the past participle to show passivity.
Also, in the explanation, OG said E's expression (by) (its) A+ B, as well as (by) C. Why the structure is not the by A and B as well as C or by A and by B as well as by C?
Thanks in advance !

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
hardwork Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
9 messages
Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:16 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
A verbless clause must be as close as possible to its implied subject.
Check my post dated 28 October 2016:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/on-earth-among-the-surest-indications-of-sunspot-cycles-t275928-15.html#784522

If a clause omits a subject, the intended subject must be CRYSTAL CLEAR.
If the intended subject is NOT crystal clear, eliminate the answer choice.
I have seen the link,that is quite helpful!Thanks so much!
the choice C&E told me the rule that the verb-less clause must be placed as close as possible to the omitted subject!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:25 am
A verbless clause must be as close as possible to its implied subject.
Check my post dated 28 October 2016:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/on-earth-among-the-surest-indications-of-sunspot-cycles-t275928-15.html#784522

If a clause omits a subject, the intended subject must be CRYSTAL CLEAR.
If the intended subject is NOT crystal clear, eliminate the answer choice.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: hardwork
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
hardwork Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
9 messages
Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:38 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
anant03 wrote:
Hi GMATGuru ,

Can you please explain more about option A , because I was stuck between A & E . I choose E over A because E is parallel than A.

Please explain sir.

Thanks.
In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and a verb when their presence is clearly understood.
Such a clause is called a VERBLESS clause.
Generally, the omitted verb is a form of TO BE (is, are, etc.).

SC12 in the OG12:
Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Conveyed meaning:
Rising inventories, if [rising inventories are] not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Here, the subject and verb in brackets are omitted, but their presence is clearly understood.

Rule:

Conveyed meaning:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as [a church is] indicated in the church's eastward orientation.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.
Thanks for your detailed explanation!
The explanation is that The subject of "as indicated..."is church because the pronoun its refers to the church.My question is that if there is no such pronoun to provide information, how to find the subject of the as-clause?(such as although clause,though clause etc. )We should find the nearest noun or find the subject of the main clause?
Thanks!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
thang Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
111 messages
Upvotes:
Test Date:
May 2015
Target GMAT Score:
Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:59 am
[quote="Neilsheth2"] A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

this sentence mean
the structure was a church as the structure was indicated in eastward orientation. " as " here mean "in the same way that". this meaning make no sense.

indicated ... " is a participle 2 phrase and refers to subject of preceding clause .

looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: usavictory47@gmail.com, call: 84904812758

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
aflaam Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
132 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:22 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
anant03 wrote:
Hi GMATGuru ,

Can you please explain more about option A , because I was stuck between A & E . I choose E over A because E is parallel than A.

Please explain sir.

Thanks.
In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and a verb when their presence is clearly understood.

SC12 in the OG12:
Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Conveyed meaning:
Rising inventories, if [rising inventories are] not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Here, the subject and verb in brackets are omitted, but their presence is clearly understood.

Rule:

Conveyed meaning:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as [a church is] indicated in the church's eastward orientation.
Eliminate A.
Hello Mitch,
can A be crossed out also because of faulty parallellism?
indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan,

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:31 am
anant03 wrote:
Hi GMATGuru ,

Please explain sir.

Thanks.

SC12 in the OG12:
Conveyed meaning:

Rule:

Conveyed meaning:
Eliminate A.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: anant03, jain2016
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
anant03 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
70 messages
Post Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:01 pm
Hi GMATGuru ,

Please explain sir.

Thanks.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 68 topics
3 swerve 65 topics
4 ardz24 65 topics
5 Roland2rule 64 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

198 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

181 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

134 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

119 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts