This topic has 3 expert replies and 8 member replies
Neilsheth2 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posted:
65 messages

Aqaba Jordan OG16

Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:29 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as
    (B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and
    (C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the
    (D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the
    (E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the

Discussions please. OA [E Why?

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    conquistador Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Posted:
    266 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:27 am
    A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan,as well as artifacts,such as glass-oil lamp fragments,found at the site

A ruined.... phrase correctly modifies the structure Jordan.
    The fact that it may be a church is indicated by 3 factors
      its eastward direction
      by its overall plan and
      as well as artifacts

These 3 are found at site.

Now in given sentence all these 3 do not follow parallel construction with only one by for 2nd item. Hence A is wrong.

now going for other options

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,once probably being a church,was indicated by its eastward orientation,overall plan,and
    once probably being a church............[color=#ff0000]gives a meaning error spoiled by once and being(for past tense).

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan,but also the
    Using Present continuous tense Indicating for past event is wrong. Also Jordan is a structure and it is not indicating sth. This is wrong meaning wise because of wrong modifier.
    not only...........but also......... is also used wrongly

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church,as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan,as well as the
    present tense indicates changes the whole meaning of the sentence.

(E)That a ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan,as well as by the
    even though, Use of That in modifier part seems somewhat awkward to me, parallel structure in this sentence is well written without error.

That a ruined.... phrase correctly modifies the structure Jordan.
    The fact that it may be a church is indicated by 3 factors
      by its eastward direction and its overall plan
      by artifacts

Post Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:49 am
    Neilsheth2 wrote:
    A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as
    (B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and
    (C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the
    (D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the
    (E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the
    A: as indicated
    Here, it is not crystal clear WHAT is indicated.
    Eliminate A.

B: A ruined structure...was indicated by its orientation.
    This meaning is nonsensical:
    An ORIENTATION cannot indicate a STRUCTURE.
    Eliminate B.

but must serve to connect CONTRASTING IDEAS.
    C: its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the artifacts
    Here, the usage of but is inappropriate, since the orientation, the plan and the artifacts are NOT contrasting ideas.
    Rather, all three serve THE SAME FUNCTION: they indicate that the ruined structure was probably a church.
    Eliminate C.

D: as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan
    Here, indicates (singular) does not agree with its eastward orientation and overall plan (plural subject).
    Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    anant03 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    70 messages
    Post Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:01 pm
    Hi GMATGuru ,

Can you please explain more about option A , because I was stuck between A & E . I choose E over A because E is parallel than A.

Please explain sir.

Thanks.

Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:31 am
    anant03 wrote:
    Hi GMATGuru ,

Can you please explain more about option A , because I was stuck between A & E . I choose E over A because E is parallel than A.

Please explain sir.

Thanks.
    In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and a verb when their presence is clearly understood.
    Such a clause is called a VERBLESS clause.
    Generally, the omitted verb is a form of TO BE (is, are, etc.).

SC12 in the OG12:
    Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
    Conveyed meaning:
    Rising inventories, if [rising inventories are] not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
    Here, the subject and verb in brackets are omitted, but their presence is clearly understood.

Rule:
    If a subject is omitted, It must be CRYSTAL CLEAR what subject is intended.

Answer choice A in the SC above:
    A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation.
    Here, the implied subject of the verbless as-clause seems to be a church -- the nearest preceding noun -- with the result that church must also serve as the referent for its.
    Conveyed meaning:
    A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as [a church is] indicated in the church's eastward orientation.
    This meaning is nonsensical.
    Eliminate A.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.

Thanked by: anant03, jain2016
    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    aflaam Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    132 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:22 am
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    anant03 wrote:
    Hi GMATGuru ,

Please explain sir.

Thanks.
    In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and a verb when their presence is clearly understood.

SC12 in the OG12:
    Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
    Conveyed meaning:
    Rising inventories, if [rising inventories are] not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
    Here, the subject and verb in brackets are omitted, but their presence is clearly understood.

Rule:

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation.
    Here, the implied subject of the verbless as-clause seems to be a church -- the nearest preceding noun -- with the result that church must also serve as the referent for its.
    Conveyed meaning:
    A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as [a church is] indicated in the church's eastward orientation.
    Eliminate A.
    Hello Mitch,
    can A be crossed out also because of faulty parallellism?
    indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan,

thang Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    111 messages
    Test Date:
    May 2015
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:59 am
    [quote="Neilsheth2"] A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

this sentence mean
    the structure was a church as the structure was indicated in eastward orientation. " as " here mean "in the same way that". this meaning make no sense.

indicated ... " is a participle 2 phrase and refers to subject of preceding clause .

looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: usavictory47@gmail.com, call: 84904812758

Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    154 messages
    Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:35 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    Neilsheth2 wrote:

A: as indicated
    Here, it is not crystal clear WHAT is indicated.
    Eliminate A.

B: A ruined structure...was indicated by its orientation.
    This meaning is nonsensical:
    An ORIENTATION cannot indicate a STRUCTURE.
    Eliminate B.

but must serve to connect CONTRASTING IDEAS.
    C: its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the artifacts
    Here, the usage of but is inappropriate, since the orientation, the plan and the artifacts are NOT contrasting ideas.
    Rather, all three serve THE SAME FUNCTION: they indicate that the ruined structure was probably a church.
    Eliminate C.

D: as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan
    Here, indicates (singular) does not agree with its eastward orientation and overall plan (plural subject).
    Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
    I am still confused about this question. In choice A, I think it's church indicated, church is the subject of verb indicated, and indicated is the past participle to show passivity.
    Also, in the explanation, OG said E's expression (by) (its) A+ B, as well as (by) C. Why the structure is not the by A and B as well as C or by A and by B as well as by C?
    Thanks in advance !

zoe Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    113 messages
    Post Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:02 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    Rule:

Hi GurunNY,

it is new for me.
    if a cause omits object / verb, then the omitted subject must be the noun preceding immediately ?

why not omitted subject is structure?

please give me more further explanation.

thanks a lot,
    have a nice day
    >_~

hardwork Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    9 messages
    Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:38 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    anant03 wrote:
    Hi GMATGuru ,

Please explain sir.

Thanks.

SC12 in the OG12:
    Conveyed meaning:

Rule:

Conveyed meaning:
    Eliminate A.
    Thanks for your detailed explanation!
    The explanation is that The subject of "as indicated..."is church because the pronoun its refers to the church.My question is that if there is no such pronoun to provide information, how to find the subject of the as-clause?(such as although clause,though clause etc. )We should find the nearest noun or find the subject of the main clause?
    Thanks!

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:25 am
    A verbless clause must be as close as possible to its implied subject.
    Check my post dated 28 October 2016:
    http://www.beatthegmat.com/on-earth-among-the-surest-indications-of-sunspot-cycles-t275928-15.html#784522

If a clause omits a subject, the intended subject must be CRYSTAL CLEAR.
    If the intended subject is NOT crystal clear, eliminate the answer choice.

Thanked by: hardwork
    hardwork Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    9 messages
    Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:16 am
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    A verbless clause must be as close as possible to its implied subject.
    Check my post dated 28 October 2016:
    http://www.beatthegmat.com/on-earth-among-the-surest-indications-of-sunspot-cycles-t275928-15.html#784522

If a clause omits a subject, the intended subject must be CRYSTAL CLEAR.
    If the intended subject is NOT crystal clear, eliminate the answer choice.
    I have seen the link,that is quite helpful!Thanks so much!
    the choice C&E told me the rule that the verb-less clause must be placed as close as possible to the omitted subject!

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
    2 lheiannie07 65 topics
    3 Roland2rule 49 topics
    4 ardz24 44 topics
    5 LUANDATO 23 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

147 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

103 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

102 posts
    4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

94 posts
    5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

76 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts