Applying to B-School Drove Me into a Depression (pt.1)

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:550
Hi Everyone.

My name is Jade and I was the 1st place winner of the 2014 Beat the GMAT Scholarship. After I won the scholarship I quickly dived into working on my applications and studying for the GMAT.

I am very appreciative of having won the scholarship and getting the assistance I needed to make myself a more competitive candidate to b-school. As a Dominican-American woman who grew up in low-income housing in Boston, I would have never dreamed of applying to graduate school at the age of 28.

I wish I could tell you that it has all been a positive experience and that this story will end with a happy ending. It won't. However, I think it is important for me to share my experiences as a long-time lurker of this forum in case others are going through this same experience.

I can't sum up everything I went through over the last year in one post. So I will be breaking it up into multiple posts and sharing some of the lessons I have learned in this journey. I honestly hope that I can make a difference to at least one person who reads my story.

Below is Part 1:

The Road to Hell Is Paved with Good Intentions

January 3rd, 2015. That was the day I felt my heart shatter in a million pieces as I screamed at the top of my lungs into my pillow. No, maybe it was more like my spirit shattered in a million pieces. With that scream, my connection to God exploded into unrecognizable shrapnel. With it, everything in my spirit turned to darkness. I screamed at the top of my lungs until there was nothing left.

I felt that scream build up in my body for months.

It started in my bones, radiating from my bone marrow and outwards into my muscles, fatty tissue and organs. The scream spread to my stomach. And then to my arms. I could feel my hands shaking, trying to keep a grip on the steering wheel. This was not the time to let it out, I told myself.

The tears built up in my eyes, blurring my vision.

I struggled to drive the car. My mind battled itself between wanting to pull over and scream or accelerating into a concrete wall to end it all.

All I wanted to do was kill myself.

You can read the rest of this post on my personal blog: https://www.nextgenlatino.com/?p=191

Part 2 coming soon....

-Jade

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 am
You really shouldn't be beating yourself up over this. Business school is just another thing to do. It is not the end of the world. For some people it makes a lot of sense and they will thrive and be successful at school. Others, it won't help their career and they will think it was a waste. At the end of the day plenty of very happy and successful people have not ever even considered business school. Don't let it define you.