Applying in top 20 bschools with avg GMAT is safe ?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Jon,

I wrote GMAT thrice. I wish to write it for the fourth time and bit scared of scoring < 680. I have been advised by few to write again and few recommend to go ahead with 680. But if i wish to go with 680 can i apply to Duke,Darden,Ross and UCLA. I am an Indian IT Female, with pretty good percentage. I am working for one of the top S/w companies. Extra curricular is fine. Please advise.
Thanks.
Last edited by garima5 on Thu May 22, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by GenEdMBA » Sun May 18, 2014 4:56 am
Hi Garima,

GMAT is not the only evaluation criteria for top b-schools, they look at your overall profile to decide about your candidature. You can retake GMAT unless you are confident enough that you score 750+ and such scores will clearly make an impact but if you are scoring between 650-700 it doesn't matter much so focus on qualitative aspects of application like essays, recommendations, resume and also do some research about the b-schools where you want to apply. Elaborate more about your profile and let me know if you have any questions...

Wish you all the best!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon May 19, 2014 8:27 am
Hey there,

I think you have a solid anchor @ 680. I would say do both. Start prepping your applications with your 680 in mind but retake the test as well. If you score a little higher, great! Your chances just got a little bit better. If you don't, that's ok because the 680 is what will count.

I don't think NOT taking it again is a great idea. 3 takes is usually a good number to stay with but 4 isn't unheard of. Especially if your 4th attempt crushes it. That said, 5 isn't an option. So if you've been prepping and feel a 4th attempt is on solid footing, take the risk.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Mon May 19, 2014 10:00 am
Honestly, it depends on the rest of your profile. What other goodies you have, what you did at work, what leadership you have, etc. etc.

Safe, however it is not. It might be okay as a longshot though.

That does not necessarily mean you should retake, but I don't think you can consider that score safe for the schools you listed,

Hope this helps,
Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon May 19, 2014 10:16 am
I realized I only half answered your question - I completely agree with Jon here. A 680 isn't safe, by any means, for those programs. When I said it was a solid anchor, however, was that you have a foundational score you can build an application around.

To figure out your chances at those programs, we'd need a lot more info!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by garima5 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:28 am
Thank you Bhavik and Jon for sharing your views. But, i will be writing GMAT again. A little bit about my background - i am an Indian IT Female, with BE from one of the top colleges in India ( top 10), work for one of the top S/w companies. Have taken up responsibilities where i could show leadership skills. GPA is good and work exp around 4.5 yrs. But could you advise what all colleges in top 20 bschools in US are safe for me with 680 score ? Thanks
Last edited by garima5 on Tue May 20, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri May 23, 2014 7:32 am
Retake the test. Even a marginal improvement into the 700 range will be significant as your present GMAT score is significantly below the average Indian GMAT score for those schools. MBA schools generally look only at your highest score even if you are taking the test a 4th time. That said, the GMAT is only one part of the MBA evaluation criteria used by MBA admissions committees.

Reading your reply below I think you are asking an unanswerable and ultimately immaterial question. Nobody can say with absolute 100% assuredness a school is safe with a 680. Therefore retake the test and attain the best score possible. However, if you do not exceed a 680 still apply to Duke, Darden, Ross and UCLA as there are other factors which could lead to accepted decisions by one or more of these schools.

Have a great weekend,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 am
garima5 wrote:Hi Jon,

I wrote GMAT thrice. I wish to write it for the fourth time and bit scared of scoring < 680. I have been advised by few to write again and few recommend to go ahead with 680. But if i wish to go with 680 can i apply to Duke,Darden,Ross and UCLA. I am an Indian IT Female, with pretty good percentage. I am working for one of the top S/w companies. Extra curricular is fine. Please advise.
Thanks.
Hi garima5,
As others already told you, GMAT is not the only evaluation criteria, and your profile seems solid. It is definitely possible to get admitted to top MBA programs with average GMAT score, and I suggest you watch this video to learn how: https://www.aringo.com/top_MBA_with_low_gmat.htm
All the best!