Anyone use admission consultants?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mariannerobinson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:08 pm
I worked with Scott Edinburgh from Personal MBA Coach. After reading reviews on their website, I decided to reach out to Scott for more information. Hearing the realities from Scott about my reach schools following our conversation was daunting but he assured me that we would work together for the best outcome. I knew right then that working with Scott was my best shot at getting into my dream school.

I never worked in person with Scott, I was living in New York City during our time together but he was available to me 24/7. He helped me build my story and was patient with me through the essay editing process. Even when I thought my essay was finished, Scott pushed me to make it better. All of my emails were answered almost immediately and he even offered to travel to New York to work with me in person. Scott put me in touch with an incredible GRE tutor who improved my test score by almost 20 points!

I was accepted into all three of my 3 stretch schools, including yes, the dream school. I was even offered a substantial scholarship to Boston University. Not only was Scott available to me through every step of the application process but he helped me confidently choose the right program, which can be just as stressful. Working with Scott was the best decision I have ever made. I can truly say that without him and his diligent work I would not be where I am today, studying Public Relations and Corporate Communication at New York University.

by Peavy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:10 am
At the start of my MBA journey, I had never written an essay, did not know what leadership experience was and could not think of anything that distinguished me from the thousands of other well-qualified candidates. Thanks to Scott Edinburgh as my Personal MBA Coach, I was not only admitted to all 5 top 15 programs I applied to, but was also awarded scholarships totalling over $200k.

Navigating the MBA admissions process is a major project in itself. Luckily there are rockstars like Scott Edinburgh who make the entire process so much easier. Being an international applicant with an unconventional background, I had no idea how to craft a powerful narrative to tell admission officers my story (when starting out, I did not even fully know what my story actually was).

Scott broke the entire process down in easy-to-understand components and tackled them with me one by one. As you will discover when working with him, his thorougness and attention-to-detail is second to none. As a result, he unconvered several great topics I had too readily discarded and helped me turn them into outstanding essays.

When I then showed him my first essay drafts, Scott did his job - and ripped them apart! Imagine Scott as a tough coach: he will be relentless in pushing yourself to your limits and beyond. You may wish that he'd be easier on you, but once you are smiling from the top of the podium, you know how valuable his input was.

To be perfectly clear: the above is in no way to say that Scott is a mean guy - the complete opposite is true. Scott is with you every step of the way offering plenty of encouragement. He genuinely cares about your success. Despite a substantial time difference, Scott was always available to answer my questions, even on very short notice if necessary.

However, Scott's work did not stop once I received the good news that I was admitted. He acted as a sounding board, helped me weigh my options and also assisted me in drafting a letter to the admissions office that ultimately got me additional scholarship money!

If your goal is to get in a top MBA program and you want customized and personalized support at a very fair price, look no further - Personal MBA Coach Scott Edinburgh is the guy for you.

by 123MBA456 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:12 pm
Scott Edinburgh, the founder of Personal MBA Coach, was an amazing coach throughout every step of the application process. We began working together far in advance of the round 1 application deadlines, with gradual ramp up in exercises, reviews, and conversations throughout 2016. Scott provided the perfect balance of cautious optimism and realness, keeping me grounded after big events (like the GMAT) but confident in times of need (interviews, school visits, etc.). His feedback was incredibly helpful and always specific and detailed. I felt very comfortable relying on Scott not only for application specific questions, but also for school, career, and general life questions! One of us his greatest skills is the ability to pull details from applications and help mold them into inspiring stories. Most importantly, Scott allows each applicant to lead the process, for at the end of the day it is the applicants voice that must be heard above all else. I had lofty goals when I began my journey, needing a significant increase in GMAT score and a bit of luck on my side to be admitted to a top 10 school. Well, with Scott's guidance, I was admitted to three, all of which offered me very strong merit based awards. I would absolutely recommend Scott to anyone who is open to feedback and change, and willing to work hard to earn a ticket to a top school.

by regantp12 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:11 pm
I worked with Scott of Personal MBA Coach.

I searched around on the internet for weeks and used introductory consultations from more than 5 different admissions consulting services prior to selecting Scott of Personal MBA Coach to assist me on an hourly basis with my applications. My only regret was that I chose to use Scott for just a couple of hours for each of my applications rather than purchasing more extensive packages for each school.

In addition to Scott's impressive background as an MIT and Wharton graduate and his extensive track record of success in assisting MBA applicants to get accepted to their target schools, there are a few aspects of Scott's Personal MBA Coach services that I believe really separate him from most MBA consulting services:

1. Rather than provide me with cookie cutter advice and examples, Scott made a true effort to get to know me on a personal level first. Once he really knew me, he then helped me decide which of my features and accomplishments would be the best to focus on in essays and applications.

2. Scott works around the clock and made every effort to work with me whenever was best for my schedule. This flexibility ranged from calls at 7 and 8 in the morning prior to work to help me develop my essay strategies to 10 pm on a Friday to conduct a mock interview for my interview the following week. Despite his busy schedule, Scott did a great job of meeting whenever was best for me and typically found time within just 24 hours of my request. This was invaluable when applying to multiple schools within tight deadlines.

3. Scott's advice was always honest and intended to help me create the best applications possible rather than to increase the number of hours I would require him (and in turn his own pay). Scott never pressured me to use him/pay him more and simply explained what he could do in the time that I purchased from him and what he thought was the most efficient use of his time. He worked super efficiently in the time I purchased from him.

Overall, I was extremely satisfied with the service that Scott of Personal MBA Coach provided me.

by Sloan2019 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:49 pm
I was very happy with the help I received from Stratus Prep and my counselor, Santosh.

I applied to 3 schools in R2 and wanted help with various aspects of my application -- essays, resume, letters of recommendation, short answer questions, and interview practice. In every aspect, Santosh gave me helpful feedback and edits in a timely fashion. I can say with confidence that my applications were significantly stronger because of his feedback and our rounds of editing. It was clear he has a lot of knowledge about how to excel in the admissions process and he was always able to convey his feedback in a direct and honest manner. Given how competitive the admissions process is, I'm really glad that I took advantage of this resource to submit strong applications.

When I received my interview invitations from MIT and Wharton, Santosh and Stratus were tremendously helpful. Santosh coached me one-on-one for MIT, and Stratus also put together a group mock interview that mirrored the team-based interview used by Wharton. My experiences interviewing at MIT and Wharton were much easier because of this practice.

I'm thrilled to be attending MIT in the fall. I definitely recommend working with Stratus and Santosh if you're applying to B Schools. The extra help goes a long way.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Tue May 23, 2017 10:08 am
When choosing a consultant, it's an advantage to get a direct referral from a friend or peer. 70% of my business comes from referrals. And another way to decide is to watch content from your potential choices.

Here is an extended video I did recently on crafting MBA career goals--this is a great place to start when embarking on this competitive yet rewarding MBA admissions process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeEQyQQI4_U
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

by Junaid38 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:21 pm
While shortlisting the schools, I realized that my essays need to be crafted in an outstanding manner. My standardised test score was not in a high percentile, so I have to write a killer essays. I did my research about available admission consultants, and talked to them over the phone and emails, but no one was as convincing as Scott was. He is very enthusiastic, friendly, and intelligent. Furthermore, he is always reachable to give feedback and critique your application. With his help and guidance, I was admitted to UCLA- Anderson School of Management- Interestingly, this was the first school I applied, and I got an admit. I highly recommend MBA/MSBA aspirants to go for Personal MBA Coach.

GMAT Score:710

by nycmba12 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:23 pm
After speaking with numerous consulting services about my background and specific plans to pursue a top-tier MBA, I hired Scott from Personal MBA Coach. I had a short timeline to submit four applications and knew very little about the application process. From the beginning, Scott appeared (and was) genuinely interested in my situation and made a point to gather every detail. By the end of our time working together, I felt Scott knew everything about me.

As stated in some of the other reviews, Scott is clear and to the point. I didn't need someone to boost my ego and praise my accomplishments. I needed someone who could comprehend my background, goals, etc. and guide me in telling an effective story. That was exactly what Scott did throughout the process!

Scott continually pushed me to think about how I (my essays) would look to the admission committees. This was very helpful in writing essays that effectively displayed my strengths and specific motivations to attend the different schools. After submitting all of my applications, I was depleted, but I felt that I had submitted my best possible essays and left nothing on the table.

Scott also coached me through the interview processes and performed mock interviews over the phone. This guidance was very helpful and gave me the confidence I needed to ace the interviews.

In the end, I was admitted to one of my top three schools (M7). I dedicated myself to those applications and feel worthy of admission, but credit much of my success to Scott. Without his knowledge of the process and ability to push me for more details and polished stories that were directly applicable to each school, there is no way that I could have crafted my story in such an effective way.

by Jannicke » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:31 am
Review for PERSONAL MBA COACH - Scott Edinburgh

When I decided to apply to Bschool, I knew that I needed some extra support. After some research, I found Personal MBA Coach and had a chat with Scott. He was friendly, genuinely interested, and understood where I was coming from and my needs.

Scott was so helpful and open from the beginning and constantly challenged me. He critiqued my essays and references with great detail and endless patience. I have an unconventional background and was very unfamiliar with this kind of process; Scott helped me to pull out the right elements of my background and experience and convey it in the ''Bschool way''.
I had a low GMAT score for the schools I applied to and there's no way I would've gotten into LBS without Personal MBA Coach's continuous support, flexibility, advice and patience. I even got a scholarship from one of the schools I applied to! It was great to work with Scott - fun, interesting, and a great learning experience.
Thank you Scott!

by akashrungta » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:34 pm
I took the comprehensive school package with Scott. Since I had already created a shortlist of my schools, we concentrated more on essays/application content and interviews. The overall experience with Scott was excellent! With his help, I got into two of my dream schools (INSEAD + LBS).
I started preparing for applications pretty late (mid August with September timelines). This plus a demanding job meant I was working late in the night on applications and needed someone who could help me finish the applications in such short time with quick turnarounds. Scott exceeded these expectations and was as invested in my applications as I was! There were times when he replied to my mails with edits/quick responses within hours. I would send him content at 3AM in the night and he would respond by the time i woke up in morning and then I would take up the version control from there.
He is excellent at essays. He has a no BS approach to essays and when I compare the first and last version of my essays, I can see a huge difference. He gave direct and honest feedback on my essays and helped me craft my story well. His focus was not on completing the applications, but on making them perfect. This helped me create really amazing essays, resume and overall application.
If I have to compare him to other consultants (based on my initial free consultations and feedback from multiple other friends who used other consultants), I would say Scott is much better, personalized and invested in your applications/success than other consulting companies.
One important thing - Scott is great for essays/applications/interview prep/recommendation letter strategy. However, if you are looking for someone who provides you with a lot of content (e.g. pdfs about schools, resume writing document etc) like other big name consulting companies, you may need to look for someone else. I personally was able to research well using all the free content from the internet. All other things - Scott and I ran the show together!

GMAT Score:710

TTT

by subhayan1985 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm
Admissions Consulting Service Experience

After debating for some time on whether I should be taking support from admissions consultants for my B-school applications, I decided to take the plunge. Having a score of 710, and being an Indian male Engineer, I was in one of the most competitive pools of B-school applicants. I got admitted into 2 out of 4 schools I had applied to. These schools were chosen by me and not by Stratus.

I chose Stratus after talking to a number of admissions consulting providers. The 'free of charge next round' feature, where Stratus works with you to submit application to the school of your choice for free in case you did not get admitted in Round One, was attractive to me; a feature that I did not find in any other admissions consulting service provider.

My consultant was Santosh Prasad who has an excellent personality, friendly demeanor, and thorough understanding of the application requirements. Through the initial exercises, I developed a strong understanding of what detail to be included in the B-school applications. The meetings with Santosh was set up at times convenient to me. He even accommodated weekends, which was very helpful based on the busy schedule at work.

We, as applicants, need to understand that the ad coms have a limited amount of time to go through each application. Having said that, there must be something in the application that makes it stand out within that limited time. Santosh helped me carve out those unique features in my application. He also guided me on what points to include in my essays, and how to structure them.

I would also like to point out that the fees in Stratus are substantial, however, the other consulting firms that I checked with had similar fees as well. The point I am trying to make is that admissions consulting is an expensive service to avail.

On the whole, Stratus was a good experience and Santosh is the consultant you should look for in case you choose to go with Stratus.

by PeakAdmit » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm
Want to speak directly to current MBA students at the top 15 programs about your application and essays? Looking for a cheaper alternative to traditional MBA consultants?

Visit PeakAdmit, a new service to help you access affordable consulting. Unlike other MBA admissions consulting companies, PeakAdmit connects you to current students at top MBA programs who review your application at a fraction of the cost, while providing an inside perspective you can't get anywhere else. Want to know the specifics on the culture, classes or clubs at a certain school to help write your essay? Our consultants can provide guidance to help you craft the perfect story for your target school - they've been through a top 15 MBA program! PeakAdmit consultants can review your essays or hop on a call if you want to discuss things like the application process, waitlist status, or interview prep.

Visit peakadmit.com for more info.

TTT

by newgreg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:48 am
I used Personal MBA Coach for this past admissions cycle and it was the best decision I could have made.

Though I was late to the game (1 month from final deadlines) Scott Edinburg and his team at Personal MBA Coach were down for the challenge and jumped right in with me to make the most of my expedited timeframe. I prepared for the GMAT for a month and was only able to take it once but got a 710 (3.7 UG GPA). Working with the Personal MBA Coach team I was able to create succinct and impactful applications that were leagues above what I could have done on my own. I was invited to interview with both of the programs I applied to and, again, Personal MBA Coach was there to set up mock interviews with admissions personnel at top-ranked universities. I was recently accepted into my #1 program choice and could not be happier I chose to work with Scott and the Personal MBA Coach team.

I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to pursue their MBA education and is not afraid to jump in head first, follow their lead, and put in the work necessary to make the best application they possibly can.

review

by vrogers91 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:56 am
I used Scott Edinburgh/Personal MBA Coach as my MBA consultant and it was the best investment I made in preparing for graduate school admissions.

I initially discovered Scott/Personal MBA Coach through a meeting with a recruitment member from the program I would be applying to. He spoke very highly of Scott and his team and recommended that if I needed help with any stage of the application or test preparation to consider Scott.

About a year later at a QS MBA fair, I sat in the different MBA counselor panels and Scott's presentation and expertise hit the nail on the head for what I was looking to achieve (1) authentically branding myself for an MBA, (2) support and guidance during the application process, and (3) he knew the school I was applying to and could bring a different perspective that I wouldn't be privy to.

In our first meeting (via phone), he explained the different services and packages, I chose the 1 school application and test prep services package and he outlined what the process would look like moving forward. He was very gracious and helpful in explaining the questions I had and making the plan customizable to what I would need. We set up the timeline to apply and he put me in connection to a tutor on his team to begin test preparations.

The tutor, Shaudi, was extremely helpful, accommodating and resourceful. We met twice a week over skype (using google docs and screen share also) and she was extremely generous with examples and additional material. Having used other test prep services to prep for the GMAT I was wary of signing up for another as I was just ready for it to be an expense that didn't drive any results but this could not be further than the truth. I wish that I had just spent the money up front to do the tutoring rather than the 8-week group prep course I had done earlier.

I am an extremely type-A, calendar, to-do list driven person and they both were extremely attentive and organized which definitely helped settle my nerves. What I especially appreciated is that they broke the process down into digestible bits. I like to finish all my outstanding items/projects at once, and that approach would not have worked here and Scott and Shaudi organized it in such a way that I knew what was coming and could see how I was making progress each week. I cannot recommend Personal MBA Coach, Scott and Shaudi enough they made my application process go so smoothly and helped remove a great deal of stress I had.

personal MBA Coach

by reetikabhardwaj » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:17 pm
Hi All,

I used Personal MBA Coach.
The Personal MBA Coach Team has been instrumental in my MBA admissions journey. They truly made it possible for me to achieve my long term dream of getting admitted to a top business school.
The team's thorough knowledge of the entire application process and guidance on how best to position myself along with various nuances related to each school, The Personal MBA Coach really customized and supported me extensively throughout the MBA process.
I am a non-traditional MBA candidate, with a PhD and a little older than traditional applications that was discouraged by other MBA coaching and advisory services in terms of my aspirations of getting admitted to a full time program. But once I spoke with the The Personal MBA Coach, he provided a lot of support, and helped me build confidence to peruse the effort and defined clearly a working strategy for me specifically.
He and his team are thorough, diligent, pragmatic and realistic. With my profile he was v ery honest about what I need to work on to get to my target and how to go about it.
Unlike other MBA admissions advisory services, The Personal MBA Coach is truly personal and goes the extra mile to provide best in class service, advisory and support through out the process of MBA admissions. They are available and ready to answer any question and very flexible in terms of scheduling.
Scott has a deep understanding of each school and what is needed for them to tailor the application in the best way. Through out the process of working with Scott and the Personal MBA Coach team, I not only got admitted into the Full Time MBA program - at the University of Chicago - Booth School of Business, but also developed key insights about myself, becoming a better writer, interviewee and strategic thinker.
My sincerest thanks to the Personal MBA Coach and team and I strongly recommend working with this team if one truly wants to achieve their MBA goals and dreams.

Best,
Ree