Jim@StratusPrep MBA Admissions Consultant
Posted:
2278 messages
Followed by:
265 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Post Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:22 am
If you think there is a shot at scoring close to your desired level, then you might as well go. As of 3 days ago, you can cancel your score without penalty. You would lose the exam fee at this point anyway, so go ahead and take it.

-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Top Reply
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:04 am
A certain amount of statistical flux is inevitable. If you spend a little time on forums where test-takers describe their experiences, most will receive scores that are roughly in line with their practice tests, but some will have an outlier great day, and some will have an outlier off-day. If you consider that the sample size is fairly small (not every question you saw counted - some were experimental questions) and factor in that some days you'll make more careless mistakes than others and some days you'll have some rotten luck when it comes to guessing, this kind of result isn't that surprising. Think of it as a rough day on a practice test, and then start gearing up for attempt #2.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!

Top Member

Marty Murray Legendary Member
Posted:
2050 messages
Followed by:
129 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Most Responsive Member
Top Reply
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:51 am
Well, at least you got some experience.

There are many things, obviously, that could have affected your score. For one thing, you can get pretty many right and if the wrong answers are mixed in in a certain way, your score still won't be that high. I have seen someone get more than 75 percent of the questions right on the verbal section of a practice test and score in the low 30's. If he had gotten the same number right but distributed differently, he would have scored much higher.

Also, sometimes when people start preparing their scores decrease in the beginning as learning new things can change the dynamics of what one does when taking the test.

So that was interesting anyway and now you have a sense of what you are up against. I bet you will find that even in verbal there are challenges that you can become more proficient at handling. The reading comprehension questions, for instance, can be a little tricky, including answers that really seem to be based on something the passage said when in fact they are not.

If you want a lot, a LOT, of quant questions to practice with, go to the GMAT section of http://bellcurves.com/ and sign up for a practice account.

Anyway...I am sure you can figure out what you need to figure out to rock this thing. Glad we got to hear how it went the first time.

http://infinitemindprep.com/
In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:04 am
A certain amount of statistical flux is inevitable. If you spend a little time on forums where test-takers describe their experiences, most will receive scores that are roughly in line with their practice tests, but some will have an outlier great day, and some will have an outlier off-day. If you consider that the sample size is fairly small (not every question you saw counted - some were experimental questions) and factor in that some days you'll make more careless mistakes than others and some days you'll have some rotten luck when it comes to guessing, this kind of result isn't that surprising. Think of it as a rough day on a practice test, and then start gearing up for attempt #2.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!

Top Member

Marty Murray Legendary Member
Posted:
2050 messages
Followed by:
129 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Most Responsive Member
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:51 am
Well, at least you got some experience.

There are many things, obviously, that could have affected your score. For one thing, you can get pretty many right and if the wrong answers are mixed in in a certain way, your score still won't be that high. I have seen someone get more than 75 percent of the questions right on the verbal section of a practice test and score in the low 30's. If he had gotten the same number right but distributed differently, he would have scored much higher.

Also, sometimes when people start preparing their scores decrease in the beginning as learning new things can change the dynamics of what one does when taking the test.

So that was interesting anyway and now you have a sense of what you are up against. I bet you will find that even in verbal there are challenges that you can become more proficient at handling. The reading comprehension questions, for instance, can be a little tricky, including answers that really seem to be based on something the passage said when in fact they are not.

If you want a lot, a LOT, of quant questions to practice with, go to the GMAT section of http://bellcurves.com/ and sign up for a practice account.

Anyway...I am sure you can figure out what you need to figure out to rock this thing. Glad we got to hear how it went the first time.

http://infinitemindprep.com/
In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
jmo26 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:44 pm
I made a somewhat last-minute decision to apply for my MBA for the upcoming school year as opposed to waiting one more year (career change), and was forced to take the GMAT with about a week of studying; as a 33-year-old who was in an Arts-related major for my undergrad, I basically just reviewed the most common math formulas (since I hadn't taken a math course since high school) and took the two free tests provided by GMAC. Scored a 700.

I know I should probably be thrilled, but sort of kicking myself because I know how much better I could've done with a respectable amount of preparation.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Rich@EconomistGMAT Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
163 messages
Followed by:
13 members
Upvotes:
Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:57 am
Hi NinaAnn,

Sorry to hear things didn't go as planned on test day. However, as others have noted, this was still a good experience for you to have. It would be helpful to know your specific score breakdown though so we can give you more specific advice.

While the GMAT is an event you can train yourself for, most people do require *some* amount of regimented prep. That being said, take some time to review the practice exams you took previously. Even though you might know how to answer most of the questions, you'll often find there's another test-specific issue (often timing related challenges) that's holding you back. And above all else, don't be discouraged. Most business schools expect applicants to take the GMAT more than once.

Best,
Rich

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free 7-Day Test Prep with Economist GMAT Tutor - Receive free access to the top-rated GMAT prep course including a 1-on-1 strategy session, 2 full-length tests, and 5 ask-a-tutor messages. Get started now.
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:41 am
Hi NinaAnn,

You have described the paradox of the computer adaptive test. This kind of test keeps altering the difficulty of the questions until it finds your level of expertise (for more on the GMAT scoring algorithm, watch our free video: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/general-gmat-strategies?id=1251)

You felt that the questions "although not easy, were not that bad." This is how MOST people feel about their test experience, because the algorithm determines your skill level and then presents you with questions that are not too easy and not too hard.

Cheers,
Brent

Check out the online reviews of our course
Come see all of our free resources

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
NinaAnn Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
6 messages
Test Date:
Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:13 pm
Apologies for the slow follow-up, after taking a day off I had a million things to catch up with.

It went spectacularly badly. And I'm not even sure why, which is the most frustrating thing. OK the screen was a bit hard to read (it's actually huge and I found myself leaning as far back away from the monitor as I could reach) but the questions themselves, although not easy, were not that bad. A lot of them, particularly on the Quant side, were exact questions that I had practiced and understood, albeit with different numbers.

Verbal I also found completely fine apart from the odd question or two. Given I studied philosophy for the best part of a decade I am very comfortable with finding flaws in logical reasoning.

Yet, for both parts I got significantly lower than I have ever received in any practice test. I genuinely don't get it.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Rich@EconomistGMAT Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
163 messages
Followed by:
13 members
Upvotes:
Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 am
Hi NinaAnn,

Not sure if we've covered this in depth, but curious to know more about your motivation for taking the test on such short notice. Is there a possibility that you could push your test date back?

Best,
Rich

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free 7-Day Test Prep with Economist GMAT Tutor - Receive free access to the top-rated GMAT prep course including a 1-on-1 strategy session, 2 full-length tests, and 5 ask-a-tutor messages. Get started now.
manyaabroadtpr Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
321 messages
Followed by:
12 members
Upvotes:
Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:36 am
Wish you all the best. Here are a few tips for you. Whatever time you have, spend it to become familiar with the question types. Go to MBA.com Try the sample questions and take the two free GMATPrep tests available there. You can also visit http://www.manyagroup.com/ and http://www.princetonreview.com/. Take the free practice test available there. Here are a few test taking tips for you. Take the test with a positive frame of mind. Know that accuracy is more important than speed in early stage of the quantitative and verbal sections. Manage your time accordingly and complete every section within the allotted time.

E:info@manyagroup.com
T: 1800-102-4646
www.manyagroup.com

http://bit.ly/1OSgiTP

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 67 topics
3 swerve 66 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

213 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

177 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

126 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts