Analysist Of Manhattan Free Gmat

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Analysist Of Manhattan Free Gmat

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:49 am
To the concerned expert?

A funny way to start a topic but please bear with me cause my need is dire.

I gave the Manhanttan free GMAT today and scored a 680 which is an ok score, but when i went through the detailed analysis I found that the no of questions i got right were alarmingly low (i.e. compared to other tests)

IS THIS A BUG IN THE SOFTWARE OR IS THIS BECAUSE THE QUESTIONS WERE TOUGHER AND HENCE I RECEIVED MORE MARKS, i got 23/27 in Quant and 24/24 out of 41 in verbal which i s low real low . Please advise at the earliest as my exam is within 8 days and i may want to postpone it ( i can only do so within 7 day i guess) please help

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:49 pm
Hi [email protected],

I'm not quite sure that I understand the way you score your exams, but if you got a 680 on the practice test, then your real score is in the range of a 630 - 730, depending on testing conditions and the types of questions you get on the exam. To receive a more accurate assessment of your score on test day, you should use the GMAT Prep Software on mba.com. This test, released by GMAC, is almost exactly like a real GMAT - right down to the same proprietary scoring algorithm. The only difference is that it contains retired questions.

Our practice tests are best for assessing your relative strengths and weaknesses so you can hone in on particular sections while you study.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else!

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:04 pm
Hi Michael

After my post I have gone and purchased the set of six tests just for practise, The question I was asking is compared to other testing softwares, kaplan, princeton, cambridge and 800 score the no of questions that i got wrong on the manhattan test were high! I still went on to score round about the same no of marks as i would on any other test, is this because the questions that i got wrong were tougher whne compared to other question?

my scores on the test so far are

free gmat -680
cat - 650
cat2 - 640

i have my gmat on 5th of novemeber so was just curious on what I should expect when i got to give the gmat

thanks

purav

ps- i know about the +-50 point winodw that you guys talk about.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:24 am
Hi [email protected],

Sorry for the late reply, but I was recently on vacation! I know this advice is reaching you a little late, but I'll go ahead and provide you with a brief analysis of your scores.

First off, ManhattanGMAT uses a similar computer adaptive format as the real GMAT, so you should be receiving roughly 50 percent of the questions right and 50 percent of the questions wrong. Occasionally, you might get more wrong questions than right questions, especially if you are prone to careless errors, but it should not differ too much from this figure. Hence, you shouldn't be reading too much into this other than the fact that you might be making some careless mistakes.

Also, as for your score on the real exam, I firmly believe, as I stated in the post above, that the ManhattanGMAT CAT Exams are not useful in predicting your score on the real test. The best tool to use when predicting your score on a real test is the GMAT Prep software, which I linked to above.

How did your test go? Did you hit your score goal?

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628