100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
Issue -

In some countries, television and radio programs are carefully censored for offensive language and behavior. In other countries, there is little or no censorship.
In your view, to what extent should government or any other group be able to censor television or radio programs? Explain, giving relevant reasons and/or examples to support your position.

My Response -

Whether television and radio programs be censored or not depends on a variety of factors. In my view, the government should have stringent rules to curb the programs that have offensive languages and behaviour that are telecasted by television and radio programs.

The main reason for my view is that television and radio programs are watched and heard by masses. These programs leave a vast influence on them and any program having offensive language and behaviour leaves a negative impact. Also, a large number of people watch or listen programs for awareness as well as for entertainment, we should try to eliminate the programs that try to poison the minds of people.

Another reason for my view is that people try to emulate what they see. These programs can severely affect people irrespective of the age group because they perceive a wrong picture of the world around them. Children could be the worst affected because they generally do cannot differentiate between the good and the bad, and they have a tendency to learn from what they see.

Some might argue that such a censorship will affect the freedom of expression of a certain section. Yet it is essential to prevent our society from such unwanted and vulgar display of thoughts. Others might cite, that a section of people who are mature have a right to watch such programs. However, it is always best to cut evil at its roots.

In sum, I agree that curbing such programs might affect the freedom of expression but providing our society with a clean environment and preventing any ill effects is in the best interest of any country.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:59 pm
You're off to a good start. Remember that the main point of this essay type is to support your argument with specific, real world examples. Rather than using the general example of "children emulate what they see", you might say something like "a child in Texas broke his legs when he jumped off a roof, as was done on MTV's 'Jackass'". Doing this will strengthen your argument.

Also, avoid using the words "I" "me" "my" etc. in your writing. Try to always write in third person.

I'll give you a 3 - would be a 5 with examples.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep