Alternative Transcript - where to take courses

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I'm planning on applying to business school starting in Oct. of 2012.
I had a a downward trend gpa (started very high 3.8 - then went down to a 2.6) - however, I transfered schools (so the 3.8 gpa was not taken into consideration)... for this reason, and also my undergrad major (psychology) I want to take a few quant. business classes.

I am currently looking at some quant courses at a local community college - but then NYU also offers "continuing education" courses in business.
So I am a little confused what might be a better option?

I called NYU to see how their "continuing ed" courses ranked in comparison to community college courses (and they were not much help).

NYU is obviously better known (and I plan to apply overseas) - - I also know I would receive a grade/ transcript from NYU. However, they're not 'technically' college courses...

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions on this?
Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 am
Hi Cally627,

You should not be overly concerned about where you take the classes, as admissions teams understand that most people do not have world-class institutions next door. If you are aiming to improve your application through these classes, you should focus more on the classes you choose as opposed to the university.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by Cally627 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:21 am
Hi Conrad,

Thank you for your reply. I'm registering for courses today.

Regards,

Cally

by Charlie142536 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:53 pm
Conrad,

I am curious to know what classes are most helpful for admissions committees - something more business or math oriented? For example, Financial Accounting or Calculus? (I was an Econ major so already have Statistics in my transcript.) Thanks in advance!