Alternative solutions to OG 13

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Alternative solutions to OG 13

by lotary » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:14 pm
Hi,

I have a question about the solutions provided in the OG 13

I am middle of practicing math questions and realized the some solutions provided in the book is not using the most efficient way, instead is the long way to solve the problem.

Such as some solutions to the DS questions.

ie. DS 118. Solution provided at the back is long way of solving it VS. what i think is to prove the two triangles are similar triangles is enough

is there a place provided solutions to the OG 13 question with the most effective way?

thanks alot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:27 pm
You're absolutely right; the solutions in the OG are not always the most efficient approach.
Is there a place provided solutions to the OG 13 question with the most effective way?

Determining which approach is the most effective is pretty subjective. That said, one of the great things about the BTG forums is that you can see a variety of approaches to a question. It's up to you to determine which approach is most effective for you.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:45 pm
Hi lotary,

Brent is absolutely correct - these Forums serve as a great source to learn many different ways to solve GMAT questions. You should feel free to post any questions that you're curious about (from the OG13 or any other source); the Experts and other Users will likely provide you with a variety of approaches as well as additional insights, tips and suggestions that will help you to improve.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:57 am
lotary wrote:Hi,

I have a question about the solutions provided in the OG 13

I am middle of practicing math questions and realized the some solutions provided in the book is not using the most efficient way, instead is the long way to solve the problem.

Such as some solutions to the DS questions.

ie. DS 118. Solution provided at the back is long way of solving it VS. what i think is to prove the two triangles are similar triangles is enough

is there a place provided solutions to the OG 13 question with the most effective way?

thanks alot.
I suspect that you are referring to either DS113 or DS119.
I posted solutions for these problems here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/data-suffici ... 85748.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3