Additional Verbal prep for non-native English speaker?

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Brent & the team,

First of all, thank all of you for the 60-day GMAT study guideline. It helps a lot! I'm actually on 7th day so far but feel already much more confident. If I can continue at this pace, my target score shouldn't be unreachable (Hope so!)

Just 2 little questions about practicing method.

First, as mentioned in the thread's subject, I'm actually non-native English speaker. And the guide, I supposed, is for native speaker. So, do I have to prepare more than suggested for Verbal section? If so, could you recommend some prep materials? I would like to start the prep for Verbal section before Day-23 of the Guide. So I can catch up with (or sort of) you native people out there :) That leaves me 16 days to go. On the 1st attempt on GMATPrep Test 1, I scored 28 on Verbal section, with almost wrong answers in SC and RC. I suppose that it's quite common for us non-native. Could you recommend any method?

Second, as I put my answers directly to the GMAT PrepNow Improvement chart as recommended, I know immediately whether my answer is right. Do you suggest to check the explanaton right after each wrong answer or to continue the practice then review explantion for all wrong answers at the end of each session?

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Cheers,

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:52 pm
Hi metal1106,

I'm glad you're liking the 60-Day Guide.

Here are my responses to your questions:

1) If you're following the Study Guide, then you've likely purchased either the GMAT Prep Now videos or the MGMAT books. So, if you'd like to add some Verbal prep to your study days, I suggest that you begin watching SC videos (in the GMAT Prep Now course) or start reading MGMAT's SC book.

2) I suggest that you review your incorrect answers when they occur. That way, you can learn the related concept/strategy before you encounter another practice question that tests a similar concept/strategy.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by metal1106 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:00 am
Hi Brent, the team & everyone,

It's me again. Need some help & encouragement from you guys.

Theoretically I should be finalizing the revision for the Verbal section now. Actually, well, I lost my motivation since the 25th day of the plan... I know, it's not a good sign. Moreover, I planned my GMAT in 1 month. 24th December. It's definitely not the moment to be give up.

One of the reasons that discourage me is the revision of the Verbal section. Started with SC, I began this section by reading Aristotle SC Grail, before tackling the SC of MGMAT, as it was said to be more concise and easier for non-native beginners. On day 22, I took the GMAT Prep Test 1 for the second time, after finishing Aristotle SC Grail, and saw my Verbal score was even worse than the 1st attempt. V27. Hardly any improvement for SC section... I said to myself "well, just because you haven't start the MGMAT SC yet". I began tackling this book right after and have been stuck with this book ever since. I feel it's hard to attach to the book. I find myself losing concentration every 5 lines. More than 10 days passed and I'm still in Chapter 10...

Then, I said to myself that it's maybe time to let go of that book, and move on to RC & CR. I did start CR & RC indeed. But somehow I can't get over the thought that I abandoned the SC section and find myself open that book every day and keep losing concentration after a few pages, and be late for the plan on CR & RC.

Well, I would like to stop being pathetic (lol) about this famous SC book that everyone recommends. So I need help from you guys. Could anyone suggest me an effective way to get through this section? Should I abandon SC revision here and come back to it later if I have time, or I have to finish it now since this is (supposed to be) the easiest section on the GMAT?

It's D-25 now. Should I take my time to go through all Verbal section carefully? Or I should hurry up on the theoretical chapters and tackle 18 days of practice as soon as possible? I'm quite in a panic now since the D-day is near and Verbal skills are definitely not my strength (English is my 3rd language)...

Any help is useful. If not, any encouragement is welcome too.

Thank you guys in advance.

Cheers,

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:05 am
Hi metal1106,

At some point, you'll need to learn the Verbal concepts that the GMAT tests. So, it doesn't make any sense to skip ahead to the practice tests.
Having said that, it might be useful to take a practice test today just to help confirm that you do, indeed, need to work through the Verbal lessons first.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com