According to the passage... strategy

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

According to the passage... strategy

by petelowe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:25 am
Hi there, I've been lurking around the boards for a bit and I've found this site extremely helpful. Thanks all.

I was wondering if someone could comment on what strategy they use on Reading Comprehension passages when they see an "According to the passage" question and you as the reader:

A) Don't remember where to look and the passage is one pargraph long. (I feel like it's like finding a needle in a haystack)

B) Don't remember specifically any of the small details of the answer choices so you can't eliminate any of them.

Much thanks,

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:42 pm
Hi PeteLowe!

"According to the passage" questions are "Detail" questions, meaning the correct answer will be based on something explicitly stated in the passage.

If you have a map a clear, concise "passage map" - notes on the topic, author's pov, function of each paragraph, and overall purpose - you should be able to quickly identify in which paragraph the detail is located.

Keep in mind that details function within paragraphs to support, elaborate on, or otherwise enhance the main idea of the entire paragraph. Ask yourself, WHY did the author use the specific detail? What was the point of the paragraph wherein the detail is located?

Use your passage map to predict an answer, re-reading 1-2 sentences around the detail to remind yourself of the specific context. Write down your prediction, and then use it to eliminate answer choices.

Here's an article I wrote about the different GMAT RC question types - you might find it helpful!

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/06/ ... assage-map

Hope this helps! :)