Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM)

This topic has 3 expert replies and 3 member replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

e-GMAT GMAT Instructor
Posted:
621 messages
Followed by:
202 members
A tricky 2 Part Question on Multi Level Marketing (MLM) Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 pm
Hi folks,

Here is a tricky 2 part question on Multi Level Marketing company (MLM).

A Multi Level Marketing company (MLM) builds its business through sponsorship with the company associates. An associate is rewarded a commission based on how much business is generated in his group i.e. people under him.
A new associate joins the business at the level immediately below his/her sponsor associate .
The business generated by an associate is termed as 'Individual Points', while total (or sum of ) business generated by the associate's group (including him) is termed as 'Cumulative Points'.
The associate's 'Commission Points' equals 'Cumulative Points' of associate's group less Maximum 'Cumulative Points' generated by any of the associates directly under him.
Pat is one such company associate, who has 3 levels of hierarchy under him.
Pat's 'level 1' (i.e. directly under Pat) has 2 associates, 'level 2' (associates directly under any of the level 1 associates) has 5 associates, & 'level 3' has 1 associate. In a particular month, Pat and each of his group associates have generated individual business worth 100 points.

Based on the information provided, select the maximum, & minimum possible values for 'Commission Points' for Pat, in the table. Different hierarchical structures of the associates in the group can lead to different values of 'Commission Points'.

Make only two selections, one in each column.

-Shalabh

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Thanked by: ashut27
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
BTG14 Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
45 messages
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 am
Minimum-100
Maximum-600

GMAT/MBA Expert

e-GMAT GMAT Instructor
Posted:
621 messages
Followed by:
202 members
Post Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:09 pm
Milan wrote:
Minimum-100
Maximum-600
Hi Milan,

I am afraid this is not the correct answer.Pl. apply logic on how to allocate associates to Level 1 & 2 associates.

-Shalabh

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

ashut27 Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 am
Hey Guys,

My answer:

Minimum : 200 (I tried maximizing one branch under Pat thus calculation is 900 -700 =200)
Maximum : 500 (I tried minimizing one branch under Pat thus calculation is 900 -400 =200)

Regards,
Ashu
e-GMAT wrote:
Hi folks,

Here is a tricky 2 part question on Multi Level Marketing company (MLM).

A Multi Level Marketing company (MLM) builds its business through sponsorship with the company associates. An associate is rewarded a commission based on how much business is generated in his group i.e. people under him.
A new associate joins the business at the level immediately below his/her sponsor associate .
The business generated by an associate is termed as 'Individual Points', while total (or sum of ) business generated by the associate's group (including him) is termed as 'Cumulative Points'.
The associate's 'Commission Points' equals 'Cumulative Points' of associate's group less Maximum 'Cumulative Points' generated by any of the associates directly under him.
Pat is one such company associate, who has 3 levels of hierarchy under him.
Pat's 'level 1' (i.e. directly under Pat) has 2 associates, 'level 2' (associates directly under any of the level 1 associates) has 5 associates, & 'level 3' has 1 associate. In a particular month, Pat and each of his group associates have generated individual business worth 100 points.

Based on the information provided, select the maximum, & minimum possible values for 'Commission Points' for Pat, in the table. Different hierarchical structures of the associates in the group can lead to different values of 'Commission Points'.

Make only two selections, one in each column.

-Shalabh

GMAT/MBA Expert

e-GMAT GMAT Instructor
Posted:
621 messages
Followed by:
202 members
Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:03 am
[quote="ashut27"]Hey Guys,

My answer:

Minimum : 200 (I tried maximizing one branch under Pat thus calculation is 900 -700 =200)
Maximum : 500 (I tried minimizing one branch under Pat thus calculation is 900 -400 =200)

Regards,
Ashu
[quote="e-GMAT"]Hi folks,

Hi ashut,

That's the correct answer.

Meanwhile, dont forget to attend the SC session on Saturday. Please find the link below:

-Shalabh

Perfectus Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
7 messages
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Can anyone explain what this problem is talking about?

I'm very confused...

I read the problem as:
pat's commission points = "total cumulative points of all his associates" - "max commutative points of one of his associate groups"

And for his hierarchy:

2x lv 1 associates
10x lv 2 associates (assume 5 in each branch)
1x lv 3 associate

so total of 13 associates under Pat...

I don't understand how someone gets (900 - 700)...

Please help... Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

e-GMAT GMAT Instructor
Posted:
621 messages
Followed by:
202 members
Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:27 pm
Perfectus wrote:
Can anyone explain what this problem is talking about?

I'm very confused...

I read the problem as:
pat's commission points = "total cumulative points of all his associates" - "max commutative points of one of his associate groups"

And for his hierarchy:

2x lv 1 associates
10x lv 2 associates (assume 5 in each branch)
1x lv 3 associate

so total of 13 associates under Pat...

I don't understand how someone gets (900 - 700)...

Please help... Thanks!
Hi Perfectus,

Pl. see this image. Hope it helps. There are collectively 5 associates in level 2.

-Shalabh

Thanked by: BTG14

Best Conversation Starters

1 abhasjha 58 topics
2 sapuna 21 topics
3 Nijo 18 topics
4 tanvis1120 18 topics
5 qwerty12321 16 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

175 posts