A SC prob, pls help or come an instructor, tough

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Citing the recent increase in earnings by several computer companies, economists feel that (a cycle has begun in which personal computer users), especially corporate consumers, are replacing their PC's with more powerful models.

A. a cycle has begun in which personal computer users

B. a cycle for personal computer users has begun in which they

C. there is a cycle beginning for personal computer users

D. it is the beginning of a cycle for personal computer users

E. personal computer users are in the beginning of a cycle when they

I chose D because "a cycle has begun in which" I think "in which" can not modify "has begun" right?

I really confused about" has begun in which". So I stunk with A and D, finally, I chose D, because it is worst of bad... and I know D is wrong, illogically... But Why A ????

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:44 pm
EssaySnark isn't a GMAT instructor and so we don't know all the proper English grammar terminology - but we do know how English works! So let's see if we can offer something helpful here.

The "in which" phrase, in this case, could be substituted with "where" -- so it would be absolutely correct to say "a cycle has begun where personal computer users [are doing something new...]"

That makes sense to you, right? The "has begun" simply mean it started in the past, and it's still ongoing. The "in which" is leading into a clause that explains what the cycle is about. (Yes, we know, this is a very imprecise explanation!!)

Option D doesn't work because it's ungrammatical; if you break down that sentence, it would be saying "it is the beginning of a cycle... are replacing" -- the verb "are" is totally off with that "beginning of a cycle" phrase. There's no way that "are" could fit with "personal computer users" in option D, it's screwy.

This is a horrible sentence, if anyone in real life wrote this way they should be strung up from the balcony by their toenails. :-)

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

by tracyyahoo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:50 am
Ok, thank you, I got another question for you, a cycle is a subject, it shouldn't be itself begin to do something, it should be used as passive voice as" it has been begun" make more sense I think.

And it is also the reason I chose D because it avoids this ambiguity.

Pls explain

essaysnark wrote:EssaySnark isn't a GMAT instructor and so we don't know all the proper English grammar terminology - but we do know how English works! So let's see if we can offer something helpful here.

The "in which" phrase, in this case, could be substituted with "where" -- so it would be absolutely correct to say "a cycle has begun where personal computer users [are doing something new...]"

That makes sense to you, right? The "has begun" simply mean it started in the past, and it's still ongoing. The "in which" is leading into a clause that explains what the cycle is about. (Yes, we know, this is a very imprecise explanation!!)

Option D doesn't work because it's ungrammatical; if you break down that sentence, it would be saying "it is the beginning of a cycle... are replacing" -- the verb "are" is totally off with that "beginning of a cycle" phrase. There's no way that "are" could fit with "personal computer users" in option D, it's screwy.

This is a horrible sentence, if anyone in real life wrote this way they should be strung up from the balcony by their toenails. :-)

EssaySnark

Followed by:1 members

by abcgmat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:56 am
Citing the recent increase in earnings by several computer companies, economists feel that a cycle has begun in which personal computer users, especially corporate consumers, are replacing their PC's with more powerful models.
I think the answer is A
',especially corporate consumers,' the word before this should refer to users . This leaves
A, C and D. when you put C and D it makes no sense and A makes sense
A: a cycle has begun in which personal computer users are replacing their PC's with more powerful models.
whats the OA

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:07 am
IMO A. Clearly refers an action that has started in the past and still going on.

D seems awkward.

economists feel that it is the beginning of a cycle for personal computer users are replacing their PC's with more powerful models.

economists feel that it is the beginning of a cycle (now) for personal computer users to replace (near future) their PC's with more powerful models - this is how it should be if you were to go for D.

Correct me if i am wrong :)
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:03 am
Totally agree with essaysnark - A should be the correct Answer
Computer users are replacing their PC's with more powerful models and not the cycle itself is replacing - as written in D

Followed by:1 members

by zaarathelab » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:37 am
tracyyahoo wrote:Citing the recent increase in earnings by several computer companies, economists feel that (a cycle has begun in which personal computer users), especially corporate consumers, are replacing their PC's with more powerful models.

I chose D because "a cycle has begun in which" I think "in which" can not modify "has begun" right?

I really confused about" has begun in which". So I stunk with A and D, finally, I chose D, because it is worst of bad... and I know D is wrong, illogically... But Why A ????
D: watch out for 'are' after the comma.

A is correct
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:54 am
tracyyahoo wrote:Citing the recent increase in earnings by several computer companies, economists feel that (a cycle has begun in which personal computer users), especially corporate consumers, are replacing their PC's with more powerful models.

Hi Tracyyahoo,

If you clearly notice option D then you will see it is the begining is not parallel to are replacing and hence makes the sentence awkward............

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by TheGraduate » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 pm
It can be figured out more or less easily that A is the best answer. However could anyone point out what is wrong with B. Is it just wordy or is there something really wrong with it? Also please comment on the other options if possible.
Citing the recent increase in earnings by several computer companies, economists feel that a cycle has begun in which personal computer users, especially corporate consumers, are replacing their PC's with more powerful models.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:204 members

by Ali Tariq » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:37 am

unidiomatic?
perhaps.
unidiomatic usage will not be the sole reason for an answer choice to be incorrect in official questions.
However, in official questions, this kind of answer choice is incorrect typically because it changes the meaning drastically. Unacceptable.

easiest way to eliminate--> run on

E. personal computer users are in the beginning of a cycle when they are replacing their PC's with more powerful models.
PC users are in the begining of a cycle.
illogical.

Further,
They are in the begining of a cycle only when they are replacing their PC's with more powerful models

However,
When they are not replacing their PC's with more powerful models they are not in the begining of a cycle.
illogical.

Contact for drastic improvement in just a few days.

Followed by:3 members

by [email protected] » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:31 am
Hi Experts can you please explain why the other options are incorrect. I am having a hard tiome eliminating others especially B.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ali Tariq » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:30 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi Experts can you please explain why the other options are incorrect. I am having a hard tiome eliminating others especially B.
Keep the intended meaning intact.

Don't change the scope.
If the scope is specific, don't make it general.
Similarly, if the scope is general, don't make it specific.

intended meaning( most sensical ) --> scope is general.
Answer choice B, alters the scope from general to specific.

Don't change the scope.
Changing the scope changes the meaning.

B changes the scope, from general to specific.
And hence, changes the meaning.

A--> a cycle has begun--> wording is general
B--> a cycle for PC users has begun--> wording is specific. (scope altered)

A--> a cycle has begun--> generally.
B--> a cycle for PC users has begun--> specifically.

Don't change the scope.

B--> a cycle for PC users has begun--> Is cyle for XYZ unidiomatic?
I don't care whether it is or not.
Spending time styding idiomatic nuances is a wastege of your most important resource--TIME.
Testing on idiomatic nuances inevitably puts non native test takers at disadvantage.
This kind of a situation will not be a level playing field.
Hence, GMAC avoids it as much as possible.

Meaning aspects, however are important in GMAT SC.
If the intended meaning is sensical, you cannot select an answer choice that has non sensical meaning, illogical meaning, or CONTRARY TO THE FACT meaning, even if such an answer choice has no grammatical error because in GMAT SC, not only GRAMMAR but also MEANING is a thing.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ali Tariq » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:49 pm
Understanding how scopes work in GMAT verbal is important not only in SC but also in CR and RC.

I am sure you are aware of importance of scopes in CR and RC.

It is also a thing in SC.

If you are unable to grasp the scope as communicated by the author in CR or in RC, you will end up selecting incorrect answer choice in which scope has been altered by changing the language/ changing the wordings that end up changing the scope.

You cannot change the scope viz-a-viz Quantity.
Note:From general wording/language/scope to specific wordings or narrowing scope is not allowed in SC, RC,and CR.
HOWEVER, Quantitative aspects of meaning in SC are non issue( This aspect appears mostly in comparisons. Infact, i have not seen it in questions other than on comparisons ).*

You cannot change the scope viz-a-viz probability.

You must have known all this from CR and RC.
Same deal in SC (though not with same rigor and frequency as in RC and CR), changing quantity or probability changes the meaning.

P.S*:refer to my posts in this link on this issue for more detail. There is a slight difference between changing scope and changing quantity aspects of meaning.This difference can best be understood going through examples from official material that demonstrates well the GMAC's stance on the issue https://www.beatthegmat.com/vr-on-the-to ... 93919.html
Last edited by Ali Tariq on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ali Tariq » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:59 pm
Another way GMAC changes the scope and thus meaning is when it changes answer choices from ACTIVE to PASSIVE and in doing so, GMAC at times changes the scope from specific to general.

Note: i am not saying ACTIVE is prefered to PASSIVE.
NO.
NEITHER has any preference.

However, you cannot change the scope.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:03 am

An answer choice may be eliminated for pronoun ambiguity if another answer choice avoids the ambiguity and is free of errors.
In B and E, they has two eligible antecedents (economists and users).
Since A avoids this issue and is free of errors, eliminate B and E.

In C, are replacing lacks a subject.
Eliminate C.

In D, it lacks a viable referent.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3