A Question for all the admissions consultants!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear All,

I'm a predicament and need input from you seasoned veterans.

In the optional portion of the Booth app where one normally explains extenuating circumstances, I copied and pasted an explanation from my HBS application that included a reason why there was a single failing grade, and also an explanation on why I picked a certain recommender. I guess I didn't save it correctly when I corrected the school name, and didn't think twice of it until I checked my proof yesterday. I was shocked to find that the school name wasn't changed, and that the 2nd part of the explanation on the failing grade was missing. Suffice to say, I'm pretty disappointed as Booth is my dream school and I spent a lot of time really making the application personal.

I'd like to kindly ask you admissions experts on what the right course of action is? On the one hand, the committee might not notice the mistake, but I'm usually one to be genuine and forthright about mistakes, and that's also how I'm leaning towards proceeding. I'm thinking of writing an email explaining the stupid blunder and clarifying my grade. What do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:20 am
Hey there,

That's definitely unfortunate (I know you must be freaking out but woosah!) but don't worry about it. Calling them to point it out will only make things worse. Best case, they don't notice (but they probably will) but worst case you make a big thing out of it.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by DavidVeritas » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:23 am
Thanks Bhavik, but what about the failing grade? I am pretty sure they'd notice the mistake anyway, but I really wanted to make sure that I explained my one failing course was retaken and I ended up getting an "A."

Would I really make the problem worse by acknowledging my mistake?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:26 am
Oh so sorry - missed that point! Fingers are faster than my mind at times :)

I think in that case sending an email just stating it didn't save properly and cut part of your essay out is fine. Copy it into the body of the email and let them take it from there. If it was your fault (but it seems like system error) then take responsibility but otherwise just mention you noticed and you wanted to make sure you corrected it.

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by DavidVeritas » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:32 am
Thank you Bhavik.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:39 am
Good luck! And stay strong through the waiting period!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter