a plan to control pollution

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

a plan to control pollution

by zaarathelab » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:44 am
Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt emission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules.
(A) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt
(B) to impose new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution by the joint adoption of
(C) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting
(D) for imposing new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines, and jointly adopting
(E) for imposing new controls on truck and bus engine pollution in the joint adoption of
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Followed by:2 members

by parul9 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:58 am
Is it C?

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:22 am
Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt emission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules.
(A) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt
(B) to impose new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution by the joint adoption of
(C) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting
(D) for imposing new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines, and jointly adopting
(E) for imposing new controls on truck and bus engine pollution in the joint adoption of

by garima99 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:55 am
wat is wrong with B

by hoji » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:23 pm
The answer is C.
A) "in that" is stilted and too formal version of "because", therefore in GMAT "because" is superior to "in that" and who cares which to use in this context, because(not "in that")the meaning here is not intended for "because"...
B)"by the join adoption of" is poorly structured, i think. "by joinly adopting" is more concise and it emphasizes the doers of the action.
D)"for imposing" is out of the race for the evident reasons: a plan to impose, not a plan for imposing
E) the same goes for the E as for D.
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of a man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
Henry David Thoreau.

Sleep GMAT, eat GMAT, beat GMAT!

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:40 am
zaarathelab wrote:Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt emission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules.
(B) to impose new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution by the joint adoption of------engines' pollution is a wrong word

Legendary Member

by HSPA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:17 am
Can anyone use the VAN rule of MGMAT which says verb > adj > noun form.. I think we can use this to bring the difference between options B and C.

IMO C as V > N
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

by zaarathelab » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:42 am
OA is C

This is a gmatprep problem

I was confused b/w C and D (To impose and For imposing).

Does one always use an infinitive with plan?
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:42 am
zaarathelab wrote:OA is C

Sentence requires intention to be shown & for that we need to use infinitive to

by rohit_gmat » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:11 am
zaarathelab wrote:OA is C

i took D out becoz of the "and"

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:41 am
why B is wrong? This is gmatprep question and should be studied carefully.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:02 am
duongthang wrote:why B is wrong? This is gmatprep question and should be studied carefully.
I like your statement !!!

(B) to impose new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution by the joint adoption of------engines' pollution is a wrong word
This sentence means that the pollution is only from bus engine and not from trucks. Moreover, how can one impose controls on truck ? One can impose control on the speed of the truck or on the pollution from truck but not on the truck, its illogical.
The actual meaning refer that the pollution is from both trucks and engines.

(C) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting - perfect

Location: Classroom courses in Delhi | Bangalore | Video courses across the planet
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:56 pm
Final solution at one place:

Important: The purpose of this post (and all the other posts by me) is to give a complete solution to all GMAT-Prep Verbal questions at one place. Sometimes students have to wade through dozens of posts to get to the final answer. My posts will give one complete and crisp solution required to arrive at the correct answer by eliminating the wrong ones. Some of the content in these posts may have been taken from various other sources (discussion forums).

The correct idiom in this context is 'plan to impose' ... this eliminates D and E.

This sentence needs a common construction: 'by + verb-ing'. 'By' is used when you describe the method used to accomplish (HOW) something - exactly what is done in this sentence. The sentence is explaining how the states are going to accomplish the stated goal.

If we say:

You should study daily. By doing so, you will improve consistently.

Or

One can't become smarter by facing the same challenges every day.

A and B are wrong because they don't use 'by + verb-ing' constructions.

Correct: C
Sandeep Gupta | Asia's only GMAT trainer with multiple 770/800 and a perfect 800/800 score |
Check out my results on www.top-one-percent.com

by aflaam » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:06 am
Is A also wrong because of wrong usage of "will" (would is more appropriate)
Thanks

by aflaam » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 pm
Can some one help me with this one.
Appreciate your consideration