A new electric car company holds a limited-time sales...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:2 members
A new electric car company holds a limited-time sales event. On the first day, 3 cars are sold. On each subsequent day of the event, 3 more cars are sold than on the previous day. For how many days does the event last?

(1) If the event had lasted 2 more days, there would have been 84 more cars sold on the last day of the event than on the first.
(2) On exactly 9 days during the event, the number of cars for the day is a multiple of 9.

The OA is A.

Please, can any expert assist me with this DS question? I don't have it clear and I appreciate if any explain it for me. Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 pm
AAPL wrote:A new electric car company holds a limited-time sales event. On the first day, 3 cars are sold. On each subsequent day of the event, 3 more cars are sold than on the previous day. For how many days does the event last?

(1) If the event had lasted 2 more days, there would have been 84 more cars sold on the last day of the event than on the first.
(2) On exactly 9 days during the event, the number of cars for the day is a multiple of 9.

The OA is A.

Please, can any expert assist me with this DS question? I don't have it clear and I appreciate if any explain it for me. Thanks.
The number of cars sold on the event days are: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, ...

Since the number of cars sold on the first day = 3, the number of cars would have been sold on 2 days hence after the last day = 3 + 84 = 87.

=> The number of cars sold on the last day = 87 - 3 - 3 = 81

Since we know that the number of cars sold on the event days are: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, ..., 81, the number of days are countable -- finite. Sufficient. There is no need to count the number of event days as this is a DS question; we just need to be sure that we get the unique answer.

Nine numbers of multiples of 9 are: 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, and 81

Case 1: If the number of cars sold on the envet days are: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, ..., 81. Say the number of days of the event = x.
Case 2: If the number of cars sold on the envet days are: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, ..., 81, 84. Say the number of days of the event = x + 1. Note that 84 is not a multiple of 9.
Case 3: If the number of cars sold on the envet days are: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, ..., 81, 84, 87. Say the number of days of the event = x + 2. Note that 84 and 87 are not a multiple of 9.

The number of days can be x, (x + 1), or (x + 2). No unique value. Insufficient.

The correct answer: A

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Locations: Stamford | Istanbul | Evanston | Seoul | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.