A mechanical engineer interested in MIT's SDM.

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello fellow BTG people,

I am Prithvi from India. I completed my undergraduate bacholer of engineering(B.E) in mechanical engineering in 2011, been working since Aug-2011 and have three years of work-ex in engineering R&D services industry. Recently i caught a bug, actually two i would say.... one an MBA and the other "systems engineering". Now being a mechanial engineer Im a bit inclined towards MIT's SDM program.
Now here's the catch, either way I feel my work-ex falls on the lower side for an MBA or even SDM, qualitatively I had hardly come across situations where-in i was required to demonstrate the so-called leadership traits or qualities. As such, I've taken the first step in this regard and plan to get done with GMAT before this coming august.

My question to fellow BTG members is,
1)How is MIT's SDM compared to an MBA from elite schools, even sloan for that matter.
2)How are the career prospects compared to that of an MBA.
3)Being a mechanical engineer, how can I utilize a year or two before i start applying to B-schools or MIT's SDM to stand out from the applicants pool.

Lastly, Is there any member who graduated from SDM? Please give in your thoghts about the program and the life after graduating from it.

Thanks everyone
Prithvi

by prithviyr1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:57 pm
can somebody please leave a reply on this post.:(

by prithviyr1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:39 am
can anyone please provide some valuable inputs here...........???? :( :(

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by zeeshan99 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:19 am
MIT has always been regarded as a premier management school for over two decades.I'd recommend you check the list of Top B-schools in the US to see where MIT stands in the global rankings. I hope the very fact that the elite MIT(Sloan) sits in the top 3 of the global rankings list would give you enough reason to enroll for its programs.
MIT's SDM program provides a master's degree in engineering and management and it allows full participation even for distance learners. But this program is not an alternative toan MBA degree but that fact notwithstanding, this degree would definitely give you a leg up on the competition.
You asked how you could utilize a year or two before application. MIT SDM requires at least 5 years of professional engineering experience and as you rightly pointed out, you'd need more experience. I heard the average student in MIT SDM has 8 to 10 years' experience and are already managers and directors when they apply. My advice to you is to work hard, reach the top, go out there and get as many opportunities as you can. Teach in engineering colleges, mentor students, and work with great brands. This will build your profile. All the best!