wrong forum

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

wrong forum

by satansanti » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:00 am
(So sorry I post it in wrong forum. T_T how can I move it?)
Last edited by satansanti on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:02 am
First, I think you might be happier with GMAT Prep, PowerPrep and Veritas CATs than with Kaplan. For all I know, the Kaplan tests are great though.

Now onto focus.

Do you realize that your method for remaining confident is to stay away from things that challenge your confidence?

For instance you said this.
I didn't even take a GMATPrep or last 40 SC questions in OG2015. I felt that I shouldn't harm my confidence.
So your way of staying confident is to treat your confidence like an eggshell.

Then what happens on the test? The test doesn't care about treating your confidence like an eggshell. The test almost seeks to destroy your confidence, and seems to be succeeding.

So my recommendation is that you change your basic strategy. You need to build confidence by getting accustomed to maintaining your confidence in situations that are challenging to your confidence. Your confidence needs to be built on a more solid foundation.

One thing you could do is do the hardest questions you can find and when you feel like giving up or guessing, stay cool and keep seeking the correct answer. Sure, yes, mix this up with easier questions if you feel like it in order to get a taste of easier success now and then.

Meanwhile, there are two practice CATs in GMAT Prep and two in the previous GMAC software, PowerPrep, which is available on the resources page of Beat The GMAT, and all of them look, and score, pretty much exactly like the real thing. Rather than shying away from them, practice for the real thing by doing the realest tests.

Beyond that, realize that many of the logic related and analytical skills used in GMAT quant are applicable in GMAT verbal as well.

You can handle this stuff. You can handle anything. You are an infinitely capable being who can develop infinite skills and achieve amazing results. You have every reason to be cool and confident. Now make it so.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:12 am
HI satansanti,

First off, a 620/Q48 is a solid score (it's a bit below the 80th percentile overall), and this score might be enough to help you get into Business School (depending on the Schools that you're applying to).

Based on your practice CAT scores, this performance is right in line with your other scores (the 680 is an outlier that you weren't able to repeat). I'll be happy to offer some advice on how to proceed with your studies, but I'd like to know a bit more about your situation:

1) What is your score goal?
2) How long have you studied?
3) When you took these CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

4) How did you sleep the night before your GMAT?
5) How long was the right to the Testing Center from your home?

Since the GMAC practice CATs are the most realistic CATs available, I highly recommend that you use them. Just make sure to be as "realistic" with them as possible (take the ENTIRE CAT, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, in a "test-like" environment if possible, etc.).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by satansanti » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:24 am
Hi Marty,

Thank you for your reply. I totally agree that I actually lost to GMAT trap and my positive view was destroyed. And nerves seem to be a problem I have to overcome.

It's the 1st time I hear about PowerPrep. I'll tackle all the tests and see how I manage my nerves. :))

'You can handle this stuff. You can handle anything. You are an infinitely capable being who can develop infinite skills and achieve amazing results. You have every reason to be cool and confident. Now make it so.' I will keep this in mind!

Hi Ron,
1) What is your score goal?

To be honest, I need seven something to enhance my chance for Rotterdam Masters Finance. With just so-so GPA, I want to surpass 680-690 (average score of the 2014 class). But if not I need to score around 660-680 to make sure that I will get into cranfield.

2) How long have you studied?

If not count the time I studied Barron. It's 2 months but I am not serious enough about all resources. I feel that I blow up all OG12 because I never timed myself and I supposed I took around 2 mins to finish each RC, and 4-5 mins more than it should be to finish 1 RC passage.

3) When you took these CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

I just took the entire cat only for 5th MGCAT. (my last one before exam) but I felt that I could read it with focusing. and my hit rate on 1st ten question is so amazing. 7 corrects in a row for 2th-8th Q so my score is around at least 7x-83 percent before finishing the test.

4) How did you sleep the night before your GMAT?
5) How long was the right to the Testing Center from your home?

All my conditions were quite well except that I had a diarrhea in the early morning at the test center. But this didn't cost me much because I went to the Test center very early. Only one thing that I didn't expect was that I couldn't bring any energy bar into the test room and I had to rush into the locker to eat it quickly. And next break I didn't bring the key to unlock the locker and ended up eating nothing. It irritated me somehow but I think it is just a subtle factor because the only thing I think a major factor is that I felt the pressure that kept me from understanding thoroughly throughout the exam.

BTW, I will try GMAC and see how I improve and how I handle this test. Thanks a lot Rich!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:20 pm
Hi satansanti,

Having diarrhea on the day of the Test could have affected your mood and it sounds like you were 'surprised' by how the GMAT was administered (forgetting your key and not having a snack on the second break probably didn't help either). So there's a reasonable list of little things that could have easily "thrown off" your performance.

That having been said, it sounds like you've identified RC as a 'problem area', but I'm curious about how you're performing on the overall Verbal Section. On your last couple of CATs (not just the one in which you scored 680):

1) How were you performing on SC and CR?
2) How as your overall pacing? Did you have to rush just to finish? Did you have to skip past any questions?

3) Have you scheduled your next GMAT Test Date yet? If so, then when is it?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]