A certain gallery is hanging a series

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

A certain gallery is hanging a series

by VJesus12 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:18 am
A certain gallery is hanging a series of 7 paintings. All the paintings will be exhibited in a row along a single wall. Exactly 2 of the paintings are on panel, the remainder are on canvas. In how many ways can the paintings be exhibited if the works on panel must be the second and sixth in the row?

A. 240
B. 200
C. 122
D. 80
E. 16

The OA is A.

What is the formula that I should use to get the answer? I tried to solve it but I couldn't. Experts, I need your help. Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 am
VJesus12 wrote:A certain gallery is hanging a series of 7 paintings. All the paintings will be exhibited in a row along a single wall. Exactly 2 of the paintings are on panel, the remainder are on canvas. In how many ways can the paintings be exhibited if the works on panel must be the second and sixth in the row?

A. 240
B. 200
C. 122
D. 80
E. 16

The OA is A.

What is the formula that I should use to get the answer? I tried to solve it but I couldn't. Experts, I need your help. Thanks.
If there are two paintings on panel, and there are two spots were we can place them, then there are 2! = 2 ways we can place those paintings.

If there are five paintings on canvas, and there are 5 remaining spots where these paintings can be placed, there are 5! = 120 ways we can place those paintings.

2*120 = 240. The answer is A
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:25 am
VJesus12 wrote:A certain gallery is hanging a series of 7 paintings. All the paintings will be exhibited in a row along a single wall. Exactly 2 of the paintings are on panel, the remainder are on canvas. In how many ways can the paintings be exhibited if the works on panel must be the second and sixth in the row?

A. 240
B. 200
C. 122
D. 80
E. 16

The OA is A.

There are 2! ways to arrange the 2 paintings on panel and 5! ways to arrange the 5 paintings on canvas. Therefore, the total number of ways to arrange the 7 paintings is 2! x 5! = 2 x 120 = 240.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:09 am

A. 240
B. 200
C. 122
D. 80
E. 16
Start with the most restrictive condition

Place one panel painting.
This must be in 2nd or 6th position.
So, we can complete this stage in 2 ways

Place the remaining panel painting.
Since we already placed one panel painting, there's only 1 way to place the next painting.

From here, we have 5 paintings and 5 positions remaining
So, we can place the first remaining painting in 5 positions.
We can place next remaining painting in 4 positions.
We can place next remaining painting in 3 positions.
We can place next remaining painting in 2 positions.
We can place next remaining painting in 1 position.

Total arrangements = (2)(1)(5)(4)(3)(2)(1) = 240

Answer: A
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com